The Yandle hit on Pirri.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
The truth is we (Panthers) won't get respect until we earn it. We won that game, so that's a step in the right direction. We didn't collapse in-game after that hit, or the other injuries, or even after the Upshall penalty. We kept our composure and got the W. That's what makes good teams great, by how the teams handle adversity. That's how we get our respect.

I'm positive this won't be the only taste of adversity our team and fans will face this year. Let's not let these disrespectful and biased fans and news-outlets bring us down!

I feel like a Sergeant preaching to his troops before battle lol.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
The truth is we (Panthers) won't get respect until we earn it. We won that game, so that's a step in the right direction. We didn't collapse in-game after that hit, or the other injuries, or even after the Upshall penalty. We kept our composure and got the W. That's what makes good teams great, by how the teams handle adversity. That's how we get our respect.

I'm positive this won't be the only taste of adversity our team and fans will face this year. Let's not let these disrespectful and biased fans and news-outlets bring us down!

I feel like a Sergeant preaching to his troops before battle lol.

Nice post. I was also so impressed to see Guds step up.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
yandle didnt keep his elbow tight to his body

if pirri was a star, it'd be a suspension, dodgy or not. the hit was in the chest but the follow through, which is completely unnecessary IF its a clean hit, catches his head

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Initial point of contact is the head. And he had time to think about how he was going to throw that hit. So that's premeditated. Should be at least two games.

From what I see, initial point of contact was possibly the chest - but he clearly lowers his elbow before contact like he's cocking up for a shot then brings it up quickly under Pirri's chin as soon as he makes contact to snap the head back. It's flagrant.

But people will always argue that's clean - Darius Kaspairitis did the same to Eric Lindros something like 15 years ago, put him out for the season and hastened the end of his career. Lindros had his head down (as usual) and cancer-boy (as we like to call Darius back then due to the sound of his name :D) brought his elbow up into Lindros' head on the hit - but it was ruled a clean hit then, too. It's the bs way a clear attempt to injure can be ignored by the league. Don't know why they want good scoring players out of the game, but apparently they're ok with it because they ignore it so often.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
I'm not saying it's a clean hit, but I was watching the Arizona feed on center ice and during the scrum afterward you can clearly hear one of the Panthers, maybe Upshall or Gudbranson, yelling "That was a ****ing dirty hit" and then you hear the ref saying "It was a clean hit". So I don't know, they clearly saw it and from the perspective of the refs it was clean but from the perspective of the players it wasn't.

The war room in Toronto seems to have more camera angles than what are shown on TV for goal reviews, maybe there's another camera angle we haven't seen that shows something different.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I'm not saying it's a clean hit, but I was watching the Arizona feed on center ice and during the scrum afterward you can clearly hear one of the Panthers, maybe Upshall or Gudbranson, yelling "That was a ****ing dirty hit" and then you hear the ref saying "It was a clean hit". So I don't know, they clearly saw it and from the perspective of the refs it was clean but from the perspective of the players it wasn't.

The war room in Toronto seems to have more camera angles than what are shown on TV for goal reviews, maybe there's another camera angle we haven't seen that shows something different.

My problem isn't with the refs blowing a call (though they do it far too damned often with the Panthers, and there's been plenty of instances where they failed to call penalties on hits that caused injury to Panthers players - I recall a couple of high sticks that drew blood that should have been automatic 5-minute majors with the ref right there looking at the play in front of him yet swallowing his whistle, only to blow a penalty against the Panthers a couple minutes later when an opposing player took a dive and was 10 feet from the closest Panther). But the league can clearly see the intent to injure in this video - it's not even questionable. Yet they don't hand down a suspension pending a hearing even. It's bull.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
My problem isn't with the refs blowing a call (though they do it far too damned often with the Panthers, and there's been plenty of instances where they failed to call penalties on hits that caused injury to Panthers players - I recall a couple of high sticks that drew blood that should have been automatic 5-minute majors with the ref right there looking at the play in front of him yet swallowing his whistle, only to blow a penalty against the Panthers a couple minutes later when an opposing player took a dive and was 10 feet from the closest Panther). But the league can clearly see the intent to injure in this video - it's not even questionable. Yet they don't hand down a suspension pending a hearing even. It's bull.

who was it last year? bjugstad? who got blooded during the high-stick, and when he shows ref, ref ignores it and still goes with 2 min lol

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

If that is Yandle's method of trying to injure someone, he really sucks at it, because it is pretty much completely unrecognizable from that video.

Like I said in the main board thread, isn't the fact that every neutral observer says it wasn't suspension-worthy indicative of something?

Some of you have such a ridiculous victim complex that it just becomes impossible to enjoy this board and the willful ignorance to the fact that every single team in the NHL deals with poor officiating is just astounding.

Jan 19, 2006
If that is Yandle's method of trying to injure someone, he really sucks at it, because it is pretty much completely unrecognizable from that video.

Like I said in the main board thread, isn't the fact that every neutral observer says it wasn't suspension-worthy indicative of something?

Some of you have such a ridiculous victim complex that it just becomes impossible to enjoy this board and the willful ignorance to the fact that every single team in the NHL deals with poor officiating is just astounding.

They are basing their view on the crappy GIF from a bad angle. I'm not sure any of them actually saw the game or the hit.

I was at the game sitting 50 feet from the play and had a great view.

It was a dirty hit at worst... a careless, dangerous hit at best.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
With all due respect, you saw it live exactly once. Your memory might be spectacular, but that isn't enough when there is a video of it that doesn't make it look like a suspendable hit. Can you really ignore the large group of neutrals who don't see it as suspension-worthy?

I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to side with the neutral group over the group who believes there is an active conspiracy against their team.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
With all due respect, you saw it live exactly once. Your memory might be spectacular, but that isn't enough when there is a video of it that doesn't make it look like a suspendable hit. Can you really ignore the large group of neutrals who don't see it as suspension-worthy?

I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to side with the neutral group over the group who believes there is an active conspiracy against their team.

Agree. Doesn't look like a bad hit to me. Definitely can't conclude that from that angle.

Jan 19, 2006

I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to side with the neutral group over the group who believes there is an active conspiracy against its team.

Yes, I can really ignore a group of 'neutrals' looking at a 5 second GIF from the reverse angle.

I saw the play live and on the jumbotron (yes, they show replays now) twice (and not from the angle of the GIF)

When you see the play develop, and see Yandle follow through on an unnecessary and dangerous hit it is quite a bit different than looking at a 5 second GIF.

It was clear that Pirri was going to get the shot off before Yandle committed to his hit. There was no need for him to follow through with the upward burst. Had he just stayed low I would have no issue with any of it.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The hit per say wasn't bad, but the follow through with the elbow shouldn't happen on a normal hit. Yandle has to be responsible of keeping his arm down after the original contact, so that stuff like this doesn't happen.

Like gudzilla already pointed out, if this was done to a star playing for a big market team, automatic suspension. Pirri is a nobody on that suspension scale.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Yes, I can really ignore a group of 'neutrals' looking at a 5 second GIF from the reverse angle.

I saw the play live and on the jumbotron (yes, they show replays now) twice (and not from the angle of the GIF)

When you see the play develop, and see Yandle follow through on an unnecessary and dangerous hit it is quite a bit different than looking at a 5 second GIF.

It was clear that Pirri was going to get the shot off before Yandle committed to his hit. There was no need for him to follow through with the upward burst. Had he just stayed low I would have no issue with any of it.

So, twice. Two times on the jumbotron is enough to claim it should have resulted in a suspension.

Hey, if that's your opinion then there nothing anyone can do about it. I will continue to side with the rational point of view that says the NHL isn't conspiring against the Panthers.

Erick*

So, twice. Two times on the jumbotron is enough to claim it should have resulted in a suspension.

Hey, if that's your opinion then there nothing anyone can do about it. I will continue to side with the rational point of view that says the NHL isn't conspiring against the Panthers.

Your second favorite team probably would've gotten the penalty call at least.

Jan 19, 2006

I wasn't commenting on whether it was worthy of a suspension. I don't really care what happens to Yandle. He doesn't play the Panthers again this year and his team is in the other conference.

I was commenting that it was the type of hit that should be disallowed because it is dangerous and unnecessary.

That kind of hit merits the same penalty as a high stick that draws blood because it is equally careless and dangerous. Having the league trying to reduce the long term effects of closed head injuries while simultaneously their on ice official calls this a "great ****ing hit" seems a bit inconsistent.

The strawman argument about the league conspiring against the Panthers is cute, but I'm not going to bite.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

You are entitled to your opinion, where you expressed our inferiority complex on the main board, and the rest of us are entitled to ours.

I could give a damn of a polling of anonymous internet posters adds up to on th main board.

Im going to respect for example ATF's opinion, someone who we all have respected for years here, who was at the game.

But hey thats me.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Your second favorite team probably would've gotten the penalty call at least.

Am I the only person here who has been openly **** on for rooting for two teams?

I wasn't commenting on whether it was worthy of a suspension. I don't really care what happens to Yandle. He doesn't play the Panthers again this year and his team is in the other conference.

I was commenting that it was the type of hit that should be disallowed because it is dangerous and unnecessary.

That kind of hit merits the same penalty as a high stick that draws blood because it is equally careless and dangerous. Having the league trying to reduce the long term effects of closed head injuries while simultaneously their on ice official calls this a "great ****ing hit" seems a bit inconsistent.

You know what? That's fair enough. I can agree that it wasn't a necessary hit to make given the circumstances and that it as borderline for a minor penalty. But to claim that the Panthers are uniquely subject to bad calls when inconsistent officiating is a well-documented phenomenon seems to be a bit disingenuous. That is my position and my point of contention with the general atmosphere on the Panthers board.

With regards to the head injury bit, the league can't punish based on a head injury when there is no concrete evidence that the head was principally or even hit somewhat substantially. Concussions don't occur necessarily due to a blow to the head, but instead due to whiplash which was certainly present but not concretely due to Yandle hitting Pirri's head. If their goal as to eliminate all possibility of head injuries, the league would have to be a no hit league. That is the only way.

The strawman argument about the league conspiring against the Panthers is cute, but I'm not going to bite.

Any kind of conspiracy talk wouldn't be warranted if it wasn't so obviously implied and outrightly speculated upon by so many here.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
6r8fou.gif

When I saw this hit, I immediately thought headshot and game misconduct for Yandle. The ref below them skated right by them and around the net. No call. And the league didn't even consider a fine? How can you draw the line with another similar hit that will get a 2-3 game suspension. This is the problem. If there's an NHL rule, follow it. I'm done ranting.

Erick*

When I saw this hit, I immediately thought headshot and game misconduct for Yandle. The ref below them skated right by them and around the net. No call. And the league didn't even consider a fine? How can you draw the line with another similar hit that will get a 2-3 game suspension. This is the problem. If there's an NHL rule, follow it. I'm done ranting.

It's ridiculous that this is even being debated. It was an unnecessary hit with bad intent. Had nothing to do with the actual hockey play. It's amazing that Yandle got away with nothing, not even a penalty during the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad