Speculation: The Yakupov Over-excited/Cockiness Tactic

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He's gonna be a good player, so he's going to be targeted regardless just like Ebs, Hall, RNH will be and like Hemsky was before them. I hope he keeps doing his awesome celebrations. If it rubs some people the wrong way, well, that's their problem. He's doing it for the fans and with good intentions, so just learn to enjoy it.

OilerNut*

I can't wait for the topics complaining about the Oilers scoring too much and embarrassing the other teams. :laugh:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
He's gonna be a good player, so he's going to be targeted regardless just like Ebs, Hall, RNH will be and like Hemsky was before them. I hope he keeps doing his awesome celebrations. If it rubs some people the wrong way, well, that's their problem. He's doing it for the fans and with good intentions, so just learn to enjoy it.

Of course if it were another team doing the same to the Oilers I bet the fans would say a lot of cuss words at the player.

Welcome2Hell

Aug 9, 2010
NutleyNJ
I just drafted Yakupov and Nuge.. What can i expect from both. I wanted Eberle so bad he's my favorite non devil in the league

BadMedicine*

Hahaha I'm glad someone picked up on that.

Anyways I seriously hope our stuck up rigid media doesn't run yakupov out of town or put a muzzle pn im because he doesn't fit the mold of a good ol' Canadian boy. I want cellys and I want Don Cherry to blow a gasket.

Actually he exactly fits the mold of a good ol Canadian boy,thats the point so many people are missing,Trying to pigeon -hole him into being more of a personality than he is will not work because of this,Yakupov is genuine in everything he says and does,he is just 18 yrs old.

There is no real power to mainstream media anymore,so there is zero chance of them running anyone out of town never mind a franchise type of player,remember last in last out,Yakupov will inherit the dynasty we build today.The internet blogs and forums carry all of the weight within the younger generation now and as we all very well know the masses rule in cyberspace and because of that you have a much better chance of getting the straight goods online ,even the old media dogs are having a hard time trying to drum up business by quoting inaccuracies or simply trying to push buttons with rumor and innuendos,it has gotten so bad more than one media outlets sports reporters work together after hours in cyberspace trying to generate attention for their traditional media newspaper articles,ha ha ha ha.No one is being run out of town except maybe some media types who cross the Copper and Blue line,ha ha ha.Once this team starts winning and recaptures the fan support any media type slagging any Oiler player will be sought out by a large group of peasants with pitchforks and torches in the dark of the night,ha ha ha.Cyberspace makes it hard to hide between information lagtime,once you print it it is immediatly spread webwide forever.Instant accountability.

We will be carrying Yakupov on our shoulders down Jasper Avenue if all goes well this year,because for us to have sucess we seriously need him to step up and into the lineup much like his peers have done,there will always be some pressure on elite players to perforn well,but none more than that they put upon themselves and in that regard Nail Yakupov is exactly like Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent Hopkins before him,he is a well spoken focused excited young man getting his first taste of the NHL,he is living his dream--and he is very driven to succeed and to compete. wait till we see the type of goals he will be scoring,he doesnt score like Hall or Ebbs,he is lightening fast and scores from absolutely every concievable spot on the ice equally as well.Yakupov literally only needs a half-step and he will burn a d-man and bury the puck,he is always watching the goaltender and his habits,he is hawkish that way.Like Mike Bossy used to be,nothing wasted and always looking for more.I see a playoff performer inside this guy,a player who can find another gear mentally when the chips are down like Anderson before him and like Eberle today--potential gamebreakers for 60 full minutes.

I mean its impossible to even say this but 50 goals in 48 games would a be pretty good start and would guarantee the Calder over J Schultz,ha ha ha.Do you think Sammy and MPS can feed yakupov a little over 4 shots per game from the second line--I do??And can Yakupov shoot at 25% for 48 games??MMMmmm,maybe.Both Hall and Yakupov will require a high number of shots this year approaching 4 per game.Their linemates have their jobs cut out for them.

All that we will see run out of town here are Oiler team records ,one after the other,after the other,the guard has officially changed and they can attack the record vault full speed ahead,they are building their legacys now.

Ogopogo*

When I think about N64 getting goals and throwing out celly's like he's Tiger Williams after each one, I think about how the opposing team will feel.

And I am happy about it.

Because I feel it would put the other team on edge. Yes some guys have poise that would stop them from letting their emotions get the better of them. But I could see weaker minds fail and either get a dumb penalty or not have their mind on the game, which would lead to more mistakes.

I guess the only worry is some stupid asswipe taking a run at one of our players. Which would suck, because missed games for a talented player is not worth a 5 mins power play.

What do you guys think?

I think the word "celly" is Pejorative Slured.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I just drafted Yakupov and Nuge.. What can i expect from both. I wanted Eberle so bad he's my favorite non devil in the league

What type of league? If it's head to head and you count PPG, PPA and stats like that you will get those in spades with those 2 players. Points totals at ES should be pretty good as well. Not so much PIMs and Hits but won't be useless there either.

Welcome2Hell

Aug 9, 2010
NutleyNJ
What type of league? If it's head to head and you count PPG, PPA and stats like that you will get those in spades with those 2 players. Points totals at ES should be pretty good as well. Not so much PIMs and Hits but won't be useless there either.

Its head to head power play points are huge (7 per G 5 per A)and pms and hits only count as .3. Im expecting a huge year from Nuge, such an exciting player to watch

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Personally I don't like the over the top goal celebrations.
First goal, sure. Milestone goal, of course. Big game goal, yeah.
But there's no reason to go goofy every time you score.
Like the old saying goes "act like you've been there before".

Do you think Sammy and MPS can feed yakupov a little over 4 shots per game from the second line--I do.
Do you think MPS will be getting anywhere near the Rexall ice this year, not to mention the second line? I don't.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Its head to head power play points are huge (7 per G 5 per A)and pms and hits only count as .3. Im expecting a huge year from Nuge, such an exciting player to watch

Then they should do extremely well for you. Both players will get prime PP time most likely depending on who's hot at that time. And their other stats shouldn't be anything to scoff at either. Some solid picks, good luck!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This seems like a non issue to me?

All the young players in the NHL do "cellys" on pretty much every goal they score now.

McBdayz15

Sep 21, 2007
Edmonton
If the kid lights the lamp 20 times let him celebrate 20 times if you score a goal in the NHL celebrate it anyway you want. Ovechkin celebrated every one of his 50 goals in 2010 and there isn't a person on hfboards who wouldn't want a player like that on our team. Now we have him and we want to tame him I say this team could use a little more "swagger" and Yakupov definitely brings that.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
The guy has not had one goal in the NHL nor has he embarrassed himself or his teammates. Let's see how this plays out. I think he's aware of the custom to downplay celebrations in the NHL. He's just happy to score and I think we should encourage him.

BadMedicine*

Do you think MPS will be getting anywhere near the Rexall ice this year, not to mention the second line? I don't.

Once Yakupovs rookie season is over we can all expect him to act like he has been there before,but for now every goal will be one of those you listed and he has a hockey -god given right to celebrate each and every one of them,in his second year he is expected to harness the excitment and act a bit more veteran about it all.

I dont know what to expect from Ralph{Rolly-friendly nickname-no disrespect}Krueger in terms of system selection or execution,sure we hear fast paced and offensive and energy driven,but what does that all mean??I dont know if our offense will be catalysed out of a fast break mentality or a three controlled transition mentality.

One style allows us to use our "wingers" speed North/South in high speed thrusts and effectively gives the opposition a better chance of controlling our overall momentum and pace and limits our second shot totals off of rebounds.Thats the fast break.The other style allows us to use our overall team speed East/West and North/South,and forces the opposition to deal with our team speed man for man for 60 mins which gives us the terminal advantage,we can force more than one or two guys out of position and expose them then beat them up--and it gives us a much higher conversion rate of second shots or rebound control.

If we want to use the old Oilers"desperation" fast break we were forced to use when we only had one or two star players then we will see Hartikainen racing upice to get to the front of the net to have a shot at the rebound off of the rushing winger,one crack at it as he is arriving if the timing is perfect and he doesnt get snuffed in the middle.Maybe krueger is comfortable with that mindset as his experience really seems to have been born of desperation constantly playing better teams and trying to find ways to navigate through the cracks in opposition systems by keeping to sound basics and trying to be ultra-reactive.I hope to god this isnt the case,Sather had balls of steel and he used his assets in every way he could fearlessly.

If we use a controlled 3 transition style we will see more give and gos and more plays that involve the entire line,all the stickyhands will touch the puck more ,we will see many opportunitys to dismantle opposition systems.The controlled transitional style allows us to draw the opposition to us as opposed to running away from them on the breakout.This means we increase our chances to force them into mistakes three times over,we also end up entering the o=zone in a much more unified uniform controlled fashion which will give us a much higher percentage of o-zone possesions to shopts and second shots because our personel will be in the right places at the right times to collectively dominate the o-zone with numbers when the rebound is presented.There is a major tactical issue involving shooting the puck that sits between these two styles.One style gives you 40+shots per game and one gives you 30 shots per game.One lets you pick corners and one lets you flood the tender with multi-faceted shot attacks.One lets the goaltender control momentum and one removes the goaltender from the equation much as Sam Gagner did in his big night and much like LA did last year to every goaltender they faced.

MMMmm,I dont "expect"to see MPS starting on the second line,I pray he does.The only saving grace is as i said earlier,Ralph is ultra-reactive in my opinion and he will not ride a losing horse for every long its against his survival instincts--he learned to be a mover and a sticker to survive. I expect Krueger will try to design his system around his tools as best he can first before he realises he needs to put his tools to work how he wants within his system,there is a big difference in those two approaches.One is like the last ten years,and one is NewAge and embraces an evolving crew and NHL on many levels.

The only question I have is if we can recover from this critical starting dynamic fast enough to remain competative this year in the shortened season.

I think Ralph will go with Hartikainen to start with based on the tools decide how you build the house outlook ,and then after we choke for maybe 5 or 6 games we will see the pressure cranked up on a rookie coach n the NHL and we will see MPS take his spot and a switch over to a controlled 3 transition type of game which will render Harti what he is ,an energy guy and thats it for now.My money says it was MPS supporting Hartikainens on ice improvments and I believe if harti goes back to the AHL he will fade back,while MPS will get better with the increased workload and responsibility,in my opinion MPS anchored the Barons second line which gave them the secondary defense first scoring they needed to allow their 1st line to play the way they did.The exact same way I believe we need him to anchor the second line in the NHL,we need to ease the pressure on Yakupov create a double-headed shooting threat and allow Gagner to shoot nearly as much or as much as Yak does,this means they need a defensive anchor and that is Magnus,sorry folks it isnt Harti,he might fit as a first line energy guy during an 82 game schedule but his offense will not materialis fast enough from the 2nd line and we will need to adjust quickly or begin the good old spiral yet again.

I can see how people misinterpret Hartikainens ability to contribute,but they may not be seeing the dynamic situation clearly.

I am having my very first twinge over Krueger,as i am seeing him make moves that are reminiscant of a survivalist mentality not a dominance mentality,and I am hoping that this isnt a trademark of his resume.

The MPS question is and was never a question,and Magnus is not a Ryan Jones who surprised everyone and continues to evolve,MPS comes with a guarantee and we arent seeing that aknowledged,he comes ready made and instead our coaching staff is trying to make something out of an energy guy like Harti,MPS can put up Hartis numbers any day on any line but Harti may never posess magnuses defensive awareness and abilitys.To me this is a major issue of player evaluation and application that is a red flag. Remember these words from hartikainen "I have nothing left to prove in the AHL""remember those words because first of all he is full of crap and second of all had MPS or anyone else even uttered those words we would be all over them---jeepers--even Jordan Eberle the league points leader and J Shultz the number two man NEVER had that attitude.I am calling this one early and hard--we will pay a price if we start Harti and not MPS and it might be a season long type of price."Houston--we have a problem....."BadMedicine seems to be needed already and we havent even begun the season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

You know that in most instances I might agree with something like this. But this is a concept that is perhaps borne of certain cultural traditions, maybe even a puritan ethic. Or stiff upper lip, or who knows, but culturally learned behavior.

Contrast this with more recent Russian players from OV - Yakupov. What you're seeing here is a 180 difference from what would be stoic repressed behavior from Russian players playing under the CCCP hammer. You'd barely see a hand raised when a goal was scored from a Russian player 30yrs ago.
What you see now in Russian players is a newer found expression of abject joy that mirrors the "Prague spring" type transformational changes that have turned whole iron block countries, its peoples, lives around. When people CAN smile and celebrate.

I would NEVER walk up to a present day Russian, Czech, Estonian, etc and tell them they're smiling or celebrating too much. To do so would be quite assumptive of me and would totally ignore the radical shifts that even allow such profound expressions of joy.

Celebrate, indeed.

You look at Yakupov and you see nothing less than a celebration of life itself, of pure joy, mirth, sense of humor, and wanting to cheer up everybody around him. When I walked into Milennium Place a couple times last June to see the Prospects camp what I witnessed in Yak is somebody that likes to see the whole world smile. That makes people smile, chuckle, celebrate. What a gift. Celebrate with him!

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's just having fun. If he celebrates a goal he scores against Dubnyk, Dubnyk will just laugh it off, not get mad at him. Get real.

Exactly. People who complain about his celebrations ignore the context and probably never played team sports. It is actually a blessing that the Oilers got this kind of player in Yakupov--the teammates will love him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Personally, I love it. I want a guy that will break his own fingers to score an empty netter. This guy lives to score goals.

Practice how you play, and Yakupov needs to play hungry. When the Oilers drafted him they knew his antics, if they try and change him to a droid I wouldnt be suprised if his production dropped

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00