Speculation: The Yakupov Over-excited/Cockiness Tactic

Turrican*

When I think about N64 getting goals and throwing out celly's like he's Tiger Williams after each one, I think about how the opposing team will feel.

And I am happy about it.

Because I feel it would put the other team on edge. Yes some guys have poise that would stop them from letting their emotions get the better of them. But I could see weaker minds fail and either get a dumb penalty or not have their mind on the game, which would lead to more mistakes.

I guess the only worry is some stupid asswipe taking a run at one of our players. Which would suck, because missed games for a talented player is not worth a 5 mins power play.

What do you guys think?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I doubt his "sellys" will be that over the top in a real game...except maybe his 1st NHL goal

I love it and it shows how much fun he's having

but if he's celebrating a goal when the Oilers are getting blown out, I doubt that'll be received well by the coaching staff

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Pissing off your teammates, and them not having your back when push comes to shove, might be a good reason to tone it down a bit.
But I'm just a bitter old man. stay off my lawn

Turrican*

Pissing off your teammates, and them not having your back when push comes to shove, might be a good reason to tone it down a bit.

Why would his teammates be pissed off because he scored a bunch of goals during the season?

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Get real, what a asshat thing to say.
Showing up teammates in practice is. Overzealous and inappropriate celebrations in games reflects on the whole team.

He's just having fun. If he celebrates a goal he scores against Dubnyk, Dubnyk will just laugh it off, not get mad at him. Get real.

Turrican*

Get real, what a asshat thing to say.
Showing up teammates in practice is. Overzealous and inappropriate celebrations in games reflects on the whole team.

This topic is about the regular season.
When did I say anything about practice?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Have a feeling that Yak will be one of the most disliked Oiler by rival fans... which is a good thing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Hey I'm the curmudgeon here, scram. :D

I've seen Yak celebrating before, don't have any problem with it and he did it several times in the prospects camp where he scored at will. The fans eat it up and last I checked this is entertainment. Some loser gets asshurt because he can't score a goal in a million years its his own problem.

Good on Horc to say its OK if thats what happened.

Celebrate good times.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i can guarantee it wasn't Eager scoffing at the cellys, he loves when games get dirty and out of hand, if someon tries to take liberty on yak or anyone for cellys then i think ol ben will be givin a green light to do what he does best, be an ashole

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
He's just having fun. If he celebrates a goal he scores against Dubnyk, Dubnyk will just laugh it off, not get mad at him. Get real.

"Devan you are supposed to stop that shot...."

"OH!"

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City

When you're the only guy on the team that does it, maybe it's not so funny but seen as arrogant. Not to say he's an arrogant kid, but perception is everything.

This topic is about the regular season.
When did I say anything about practice?

Actions in practice affect how his teammates may or may not protect him on the ice during the season. They're related.

Hey I'm the curmudgeon here, scram. :D

I've seen Yak celebrating before, don't have any problem with it and he did it several times in the prospects camp where he scored at will. The fans eat it up and last I checked this is entertainment. Some loser gets asshurt because he can't score a goal in a million years its his own problem.

Good on Horc to say its OK if thats what happened.

Celebrate good times.

Also loved it at the prospects camp. But that was a bunch of kids, of which he was top dog.
He's playing with professionals now some of whom are twice his age. These are guys he should be willing to bend over backwards to earn their respect. I think that starts with showing some humility.
God, when did I become that guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When you're the only guy on the team that does it, maybe it's not so funny but seen as arrogant. Not to say he's an arrogant kid, but perception is everything.

Actions in practice affect how his teammates may or may not protect him on the ice during the season. They're related.

Also loved it at the prospects camp. But that was a bunch of kids, of which he was top dog.
He's playing with professionals now some of whom are twice his age. These are guys he should be willing to bend over backwards to earn their respect. I think that starts with showing some humility.
God, when did I become that guy.

I guess we have a team full of *******s, because no one protected anyone for the past 5 years.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
This board confuses the hell out of me sometimes. We have people who say players who go to hard and get into tussles at practice is bad, and also on the other hand, players who are having some fun, and trying to make the rest of the team laugh with some fun celle's after a goal is bad as well....You people need some Xanax, and some experience playing organized hockey. Gametime is for being serious, practice is allowed to be fun from time to time. Our team needs an Ovechkin type player to keep the mood light in the locker room, someone with some personality and a sense of humor, not just a lump of coal.

Turrican*

lol Ya but you are going off on a tangent, because I wasn't even asking about practice.

I don't give a **** what he does in training camp. I was mainly asking how it would get into the opponent's head during games against opposing teams.

It's almost noon, are you going to get your nap?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
This board confuses the hell out of me sometimes. We have people who say players who go to hard and get into tussles at practice is bad, and also on the other hand, players who are having some fun, and trying to make the rest of the team laugh with some fun celle's after a goal is bad as well....You people need some Xanax, and some experience playing organized hockey. Gametime is for being serious, practice is allowed to be fun from time to time. Our team needs an Ovechkin type player to keep the mood light in the locker room, someone with some personality and a sense of humor, not just a lump of coal.

Reminds me of "Captain Serious" Jonathan Toews. I wonder what he would think if Yakupov was on his team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Ah, the NHL

Where you're required to be embarrassed about having a sense of personality and fun.

Oh no, that guy just scored and is now celebrating exubrantly for the fans! Look at everyone bristle as they work themselves up into a snit!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad