Speculation: The Yakupov Over-excited/Cockiness Tactic

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
You know that in most instances I might agree with something like this. But this is a concept that is perhaps borne of certain cultural traditions, maybe even a puritan ethic. Or stiff upper lip, or who knows, but culturally learned behavior.

Contrast this with more recent Russian players from OV - Yakupov. What you're seeing here is a 180 difference from what would be stoic repressed behavior from Russian players playing under the CCCP hammer. You'd barely see a hand raised when a goal was scored from a Russian player 30yrs ago.
What you see now in Russian players is a newer found expression of abject joy that mirrors the "Prague spring" type transformational changes that have turned whole iron block countries, its peoples, lives around. When people CAN smile and celebrate.

I would NEVER walk up to a present day Russian, Czech, Estonian, etc and tell them they're smiling or celebrating too much. To do so would be quite assumptive of me and would totally ignore the radical shifts that even allow such profound expressions of joy.

Celebrate, indeed.

You look at Yakupov and you see nothing less than a celebration of life itself, of pure joy, mirth, sense of humor, and wanting to cheer up everybody around him. When I walked into Milennium Place a couple times last June to see the Prospects camp what I witnessed in Yak is somebody that likes to see the whole world smile. That makes people smile, chuckle, celebrate. What a gift. Celebrate with him!

Very good post. Especially with someone like Nail who IIRC comes from a Muslim family. So under the old regime his family probably had to keep their religion quiet, and things were nervous for his parents and grandparents before he was born. They probably taught him to live every day to it's fullest.

Plus, I would like to add, that if the NHL wants to get in with the younger market in the US, they are going to want these kids showing as much personality as humanly possible. Many athletes in the States are just as famous for their persona's then their play on the field. Look at Tim Tebow, the guy wouldn't even cut it as a starting QB in the CFL let alone the NFL, and he's been on SNL and all sorts of other TV shows and commercials.

Nail just adds to our team of the perfect type of personalities. You have Hall, the workhorse. All speed, heart and skill, lacking a little in the smarts category. Eberle, the consummate professional. Smart as hell, and his play matches his intelligence. RNH, the assassin. Quiet, almost to the point of not noticing him until he wants you to, and then all of a sudden he sneaks a puck from someone, or drops a sick pass. And now we have Yak, the little brother of the group. Fun, the life of the party, and someone who I hope will be able to spark energy in the team on nights when the team starts off slow.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Actually he exactly fits the mold of a good ol Canadian boy,thats the point so many people are missing,Trying to pigeon -hole him into being more of a personality than he is will not work because of this,Yakupov is genuine in everything he says and does,he is just 18 yrs old.

There is no real power to mainstream media anymore,so there is zero chance of them running anyone out of town never mind a franchise type of player,remember last in last out,Yakupov will inherit the dynasty we build today.The internet blogs and forums carry all of the weight within the younger generation now and as we all very well know the masses rule in cyberspace and because of that you have a much better chance of getting the straight goods online ,even the old media dogs are having a hard time trying to drum up business by quoting inaccuracies or simply trying to push buttons with rumor and innuendos,it has gotten so bad more than one media outlets sports reporters work together after hours in cyberspace trying to generate attention for their traditional media newspaper articles,ha ha ha ha.No one is being run out of town except maybe some media types who cross the Copper and Blue line,ha ha ha.Once this team starts winning and recaptures the fan support any media type slagging any Oiler player will be sought out by a large group of peasants with pitchforks and torches in the dark of the night,ha ha ha.Cyberspace makes it hard to hide between information lagtime,once you print it it is immediatly spread webwide forever.Instant accountability.

We will be carrying Yakupov on our shoulders down Jasper Avenue if all goes well this year,because for us to have sucess we seriously need him to step up and into the lineup much like his peers have done,there will always be some pressure on elite players to perforn well,but none more than that they put upon themselves and in that regard Nail Yakupov is exactly like Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent Hopkins before him,he is a well spoken focused excited young man getting his first taste of the NHL,he is living his dream--and he is very driven to succeed and to compete. wait till we see the type of goals he will be scoring,he doesnt score like Hall or Ebbs,he is lightening fast and scores from absolutely every concievable spot on the ice equally as well.Yakupov literally only needs a half-step and he will burn a d-man and bury the puck,he is always watching the goaltender and his habits,he is hawkish that way.Like Mike Bossy used to be,nothing wasted and always looking for more.I see a playoff performer inside this guy,a player who can find another gear mentally when the chips are down like Anderson before him and like Eberle today--potential gamebreakers for 60 full minutes.

I mean its impossible to even say this but 50 goals in 48 games would a be pretty good start and would guarantee the Calder over J Schultz,ha ha ha.Do you think Sammy and MPS can feed yakupov a little over 4 shots per game from the second line--I do??And can Yakupov shoot at 25% for 48 games??MMMmmm,maybe.Both Hall and Yakupov will require a high number of shots this year approaching 4 per game.Their linemates have their jobs cut out for them.

All that we will see run out of town here are Oiler team records ,one after the other,after the other,the guard has officially changed and they can attack the record vault full speed ahead,they are building their legacys now.
Please do not go to any other forums with this!:amazed:

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll admit a bit of me hopes he doesn't celebrate all the goals in crazy ways, mostly because I hope that it's because it's such a common occurrence for him!

"Oh look, I scored another goal. Just shot it and it went in... that happens all the time. I'll save the seleys for when I punk the whole other team"

:P

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You know that in most instances I might agree with something like this. But this is a concept that is perhaps borne of certain cultural traditions
Don't disagree with that. Its not really a big deal to me unless a player is constantly going overboard.
And I'm certainly not trying to suggest that Yakupov should be less happy.
We could use some happy in Edmonton ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad