Speculation: The Yakupov Over-excited/Cockiness Tactic

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
You know what? Ovechkin was cocky when he came into the league, and he toned it down when he got older.

Nothing is wrong with Yakupov.

I swear, if this board is any indication, the Oilers fan base will run Yakupov out of down before his entry level deal is up. Geez.

Turrican*

You know what? Ovechkin was cocky when he came into the league, and he toned it down when he got older.

I swear, if this board is any indication, the Oilers fan base will run Yakupov out of down before his entry level deal is up. Geez.

Ya bunch of Terry Jones' haha

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Ah, the NHL

Where you're required to be embarrassed about having a sense of personality and fun.

Oh no, that guy just scored and is now celebrating exubrantly for the fans! Look at everyone bristle as they work themselves up into a snit!

:handclap:

Hoping this mentality changes with all the young talent in the league these days.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
I'm loving his passion out there personally. No one complains when Hall does his blueline to blueline glove drag or fist pumps. He's young and loves to score goals.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
When you're the only guy on the team that does it, maybe it's not so funny but seen as arrogant. Not to say he's an arrogant kid, but perception is everything.

Actions in practice affect how his teammates may or may not protect him on the ice during the season. They're related.

Also loved it at the prospects camp. But that was a bunch of kids, of which he was top dog.
He's playing with professionals now some of whom are twice his age. These are guys he should be willing to bend over backwards to earn their respect. I think that starts with showing some humility.
God, when did I become that guy.
Jones or Matheson which one are you? Really is this the kind of **** that we have to complain about, an 18 year old kid getting excited about scoring a goal whether in a practice or game? Please...embarrassing!

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY

If you were at the practice it is really quite the opposite, the fans love him!

Metamind

Jun 28, 2012
I personally hope Yak goes all crazy when he scores a goal, it makes the game fun and exciting. How come in the NFL when someone scores a touchdown their aloud to do the dance celebrations and the fans love it, but in the NHL god forbid the player show any emotion when they score.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Who ****ing cares. I'm sure management is telling him to to tone it down and make sure he taps everybody's glove on the bench like everybody else.

BadMedicine*

We have seen record breaking goal totals scored here in the past and watched many Hallof Famers celebrate their achievment with proper respect and ettiquette towards their opposition,the Oilers do not disrespect teams,the Oilers are an offensive run and gun team that honestly tells you they are going to light you up for 60 mins and this is no different than telling another team that you will shut them out.If a defensive minded team catches you on a bad night and rubs salt in your wounds you earn the right to smash them,but if a high scoring offensive team lights you up respectfully you just shake your head all night long and enjoy the show with everyone else,lick your wounds later and pity the next team down the road.

There are rules in the NHL for abuse of other players and teams,if you get out of line you are dealt with punatively,and we hardly ever see this action in the NHL,many many cool celebrations but very little disrespect,guys like Avery are few and far between.

I hope Nail scores 30 goals and we see 30 different cool respectful celebrations,this is the NHL and its designed to entertain the fans ,its not all about the players and after this recent work stoppage the NHL better pray for guys with personality and pizzaz,these things are as important as toughness and truculance,ha ha ha.

So far Yakupov has shown himself to be a respectful country type of guy,half the media darts go right past him--he reminds me of Wayne Gretzky in a way,he just doesnt get a lot of the negativity stuff because he doesnt think that way naturally.

Once Smid starts playing his Discomusic in the dressing room Yakupov will tune it down a little,ha ha ha ha.

I am impressed with Yakupovs size and strength on the ice,I think he will fill out and surprise a few people.He looks like he is good for another ten or fifteen pounds.

Rock on Nail,if you kiss the girl you get to dance,score as many as you can and dance as much as you want ,just stay respectful like Sam Gagner and you will be alright.Watch the Big Night and emulate that because it was pure professionalism,you will see it nightly playing with him but watch the video and his body language and how he gained an advantage by not providing the opposition with any fuel to sart fires with,he just calmly took them to pieces in a very respectfull manner,things could easily have gotten ugly but he controlled the entire ice surface with that attitude and professionalism.Like a true Oiler.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
i recently decided to leave Lokomotiv boards i was frequenting for years because the amount of whining there went really REALLY out of hand (while the team is at the top of freaking division). are you saying now that i ended up at a similar place? :)

No, a much worse place.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Nails attitude was one of the main reasons I wanted us to draft him. He should bring some diversity to the team and isn't going to accept failure. I'm actually kind of sick of our kids being so well spoken. I want some guys that are going to trash talk and bring confidence to the team.

oakfield

Sep 28, 2010
Edmonton
I'm fine with his attitude. He wants to win and he pushed the envelope, something we sorely lack. He seems to be a team player too... I don't see anything in his quotes or actions suggesting that he wants to come to Edmonton and be THE guy.

I was at the open practice today, and afterwards he stayed out with Schultz and worked on that one timer from the RW. Unbelievable stuff. He was also interacting with fans, smiling, tossing pucks, and having a good time after busting his ass in practice. It was endearing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If we are on a 10 game losing streak and he's celebrating goals then I'll maybe take a bit of issue, but otherwise celly on Yak! Thats my favorite part about him, hes provocative, he gets the people going! But seriously when Yak celebrates everyone goes crazy, he's going to bring a lot of enthusiasm and it's great for the fans. He's not being cocky at all he's just excited and can't contain it.

:laugh:

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I love the way Yak celebrates.

However.

This could also work against him, so I hope he keeps his head up out there or some of the guys on the team watch his back for him a bit.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
I have zero problems with Yakupov getting excited with every goal. Why the hell not? Ovechkin is at his best when he's celebrating his goals like they're his first. Hockey players are so somber often that sometimes it's nice to see a player get overly excited at a goal. I hope to see him celebrating like crazy over the years.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton

Hahaha I'm glad someone picked up on that.

Anyways I seriously hope our stuck up rigid media doesn't run yakupov out of town or put a muzzle pn im because he doesn't fit the mold of a good ol' Canadian boy. I want cellys and I want Don Cherry to blow a gasket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad