The worst trade of JR’s Penguins career (so far)...

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Hagelin trade was low key bad. Not value wise, but JR thought it was such a mistake to lose him from the locker room that he tried to get him back later in the year, which also showed that he didn’t know a basic rule that most on HF already knew that you couldn’t re-acquire a player you retained on.

So, essentially JR made a trade to make a trade without thinking it through and then showed that he didn’t understand a pretty basic rule.
Yeah it was triple embarrassing when that all came out, what an idiot! Ha

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Lovejoy played on the 2nd pairing on the 2017 Cup team. So that trade worked out exactly the way Rutherford wanted it. Rutherford said at the time of the trade he wanted an experienced defenseman he could trust in case of injury and that is exactly what happened. Sometimes you give up a prospect with better potential for short term needs. That trade worked out perfectly.
fatty was a much better player and would of preformed better than lovejoy.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hagelin trade was low key bad. Not value wise, but JR thought it was such a mistake to lose him from the locker room that he tried to get him back later in the year, which also showed that he didn’t know a basic rule that most on HF already knew that you couldn’t re-acquire a player you retained on.

So, essentially JR made a trade to make a trade without thinking it through and then showed that he didn’t understand a pretty basic rule.

I'd argue Hagelin trade was great. Rutherford probably would've tried to resign him and Sullivan would've continued to force him in our top six.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Hagelin trade was fine.

Where JR loses that one is how he marketed it as a wake up call to the team but he still tries to trade back for him like 3 months later. Doesn’t help that he eventually ended up turning that trade into a conditional 7th :laugh:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
fatty was a much better player and would of preformed better than lovejoy.

I seriously doubt it on this team the way Sullivan hated him. Rutherford wanted a veteran as depth for a Cup run and saw that Sullivan didn't trust Despres. We won the Cup with Lovejoy in the top 4 so that trade worked out no matter how most of us hated it at the time. I will trade any prospect or 1st round pick if in the end of that year we win a Cup.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I'd argue Hagelin trade was great. Rutherford probably would've tried to resign him and Sullivan would've continued to force him in our top six.

As I said, it was fine if you just look at value. However, it showed that JR just makes trades without actually thinking about them, since he almost immediately tried to get him back, and had a lack of understanding of a basic rule.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I seriously doubt it on this team the way Sullivan hated him. Rutherford wanted a veteran as depth for a Cup run and saw that Sullivan didn't trust Despres. We won the Cup with Lovejoy in the top 4 so that trade worked out no matter how most of us hated it at the time. I will trade any prospect or 1st round pick if in the end of that year we win a Cup.
we may have one one cup but with fatty we could of had two

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Hagelin trade was fine.

Where JR loses that one is how he marketed it as a wake up call to the team and eventually ended up turning it into a conditional 7th :laugh:

Hagelin trade was fine because he was a rental that season with his contract expiring. I always like how Rutherford trades players that are in the last year and gets something for them instead of letting them leave in the summer. He did that with Brassard and Sheahan who both had been in last year and UFA's that summer and getting McCann and Bjugstad for them.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
MM trade is correct.
Good luck getting that garbage off your books even if he's firing at all cylinders in a few years.
$6.5M/year of supreme suckage for many years to come boys!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I absolutely refuse to judge the Hornqvist-Matheson trade based on 2 games. That SCREAMS axe grinding and agenda-driven posting. You know who you are. You may as well title a thread "I am mad about the Horny-Mathy trade and I want to talk about it".

There's a lot to consider but when I got through the entire list of JR Pen's trade, I see ZERO that are catestrophic. Ultimately, he's done just fine. I say this based on the player performance we GOT, the performance of the player we SENT away, the career of the draft pick we gave away. I also have two ways to look at them - the value AT THE TIME in a vacuum and then the ultimate impact (for example, 1st for Perron. That turned into Hagelin which was critical for our 2 cups, so I don't fault the outcome of the 1st for Perron trade even though in a vacuum, value was meh, especially considering it turned into Barzal.

Value for value in a vacuum worst: Despres for Lovejoy.

Ultimate outcome (in no order):

1. 3rd for Marleau
2. The Reaves trade
3. 2nd for Hainsey given how bad I thought he played even though we won the cup.
4. The Brassard trade.

Last edited:

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Another negative thread using our management team who brought you two cups and a lot of happiness as a topic.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I absolutely refuse to judge the Hornqvist-Matheson trade based on 2 games. That SCREAMS axe grinding and agenda-driven posting. You know who you are. You may as well title a thread "I am made about the Horny-Mathy trade and I want to talk about it".

There's a lot to consider but when I got through the entire list of JR Pen's trade, I see ZERO that are catestrophic. Ultimately, he's done just fine. I say this based on the player performance we GOT, the performance of the player we SENT away, the career of the draft pick we gave away. I also have two ways to look at them - the value AT THE TIME in a vacuum and then the ultimate impact (for example, 1st for Perron. That turned into Hagelin which was critical for our 2 cups, so I don't fault the outcome of the 1st for Perron trade even though in a vacuum, value was meh, especially considering it turned into Barzal.

1. 3rd for Marleau
2. The Reaves trade
3. 2nd for Hainsey given how bad I thought he played even though we won the cup.
4. The Brassard trade.

Great post except the hainsey. He was fine and the ultimate outcome was ultimate

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I absolutely refuse to judge the Hornqvist-Matheson trade based on 2 games. That SCREAMS axe grinding and agenda-driven posting. You know who you are. You may as well title a thread "I am made about the Horny-Mathy trade and I want to talk about it".

1. 3rd for Marleau
2. The Reaves trade
4. The Brassard trade.

We won the Cup with Hainsey in our top 4. If that is your 3rd worst Rutherford trade by performance then Rutherford should be HOF now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Great post except the hainsey. He was fine and the ultimate outcome was ultimate

Hainsey trade was bad? Weird take.

We won the Cup with Hainsey in our top 4. If that is your 3rd worst Rutherford trade by performance then Rutherford should be HOF now.

We won despite Hainsey. He in no way helped the effort. He was a net neutral in that, he didn't do bad enough to make us lose. Fact is, we were frequently hammered in our own zone for long periods due to his inability to skate, clear a puck, or make a good first pass.

Go look back at GDT's past the Flyers series and there is endless complaining about his level of play. People were just incredibly forgiving because we ended up winning. I wasn't forgiving or willing to magically become delusional about Hainsey's performance.

I thought a 2nd was about double what we should have paid for him.

Like I said, two ways to judge - at the time value in a vacuum and then with hindsight. Brassard is a good trade to demonstrate the differences between the two.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
We won despite Hainsey. He in no way helped the effort. He was a net neutral in that, he didn't do bad enough to make us lose. Fact is, we were frequently hammered in our own zone for long periods due to his inability to skate, clear a puck, or make a good first pass.

Go look back at GDT's past the Flyers series and there is endless complaining about his level of play. People were just incredibly forgiving because we ended up winning. I wasn't forgiving or willing to magically become delusional about Hainsey's performance.

I thought a 2nd was about double what we should have paid for him.

Like I said, two ways to judge - at the time value in a vacuum and then with hindsight. Brassard is a good trade to demonstrate the differences between the two.

We won the Cup with him in the top 4 and he played all 25 games had 2 goals and 8 points and was a +5. Again if that is Rutherford's 3rd worst trade performance wise then he is the best GM ever! Sorry I watched everyone of those games and half of them live being a season ticket holder. Hainsey was well worth the 2nd round pick. If we don't make that trade we don't win that Cup. It really is that simple. Add Lovejoy trade to that list with him playing in the top 4 due to injuries. That experienced depth Rutherford trades for was needed. Also add in Rutherford keeping Fleury instead of trading him like most wanted. All those moves made a big difference in helping win that Cup with all those injuries.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad