The worst trade of JR’s Penguins career (so far)...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
has to be the Horny trade right?!

I think the Reeves & Haglin deals are in the top 3 for sure, but my God that Horny trade is just so comically bad, short and long-term for the franchise.

Am I suffering some PTSD and blocking another out of my mind that’s worse?!

Not trading Kessel after 2018 would be my #1.

For HornyMath, I don't think the idea of Matheson bouncing back is that crazy, but I think value-wise Matheson's contract still made him a toxic asset and as such we should have gotten more additional value in prospects/picks beyond just Scevior.

JR's also made a lot of good trades.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

For HornyMath, I don't think the idea of Matheson bouncing back is that crazy, but I think value-wise Matheson's contract still made him a toxic asset and as such we should have gotten more additional value in prospects/picks beyond just Scevior.

I mean if you’re going to gamble on that horrid MM deal how the hell do you not at least make FLA retain 1-2 million AT LEAST! oof

Reactions: Shady Machine

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Worst has to be when we got Blake Siebenaler from CBus for a conditional 2019 7th rounder (conditions weren’t met).

Reactions: Hamurai

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

I think the Reeves & Haglin deals are in the top 3 for sure, but my God that Horny trade is just so comically bad, short and long-term for the franchise.

Because they gave him a 5 million dollar time bomb in return.

Horny is still a solid player right now but he WILL be an anchor at some point its just a matter of if its an anchor for 1 year or 3

Reactions: Doogle

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Yeah if missed trades count.. Phil was super valuable at that moment in time.

What's that trade even turn into? Marino? Guess that's okay.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Hornqvist trade didnt and still doesn’t make much sense but it’s too early to call it bad IMO.

Kinda stupid to be like we don’t wanna pay Hornqvist 6 million to play on the 3rd line but we’ll pay Matheson 5 million to play on the 3rd pairing. Oh and toss in an expensive 4th liner we don’t really need too.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Hornqvist trade didnt and still doesn’t make much sense but it’s too early to call it bad IMO.

Kinda stupid to be like we don’t wanna pay Hornqvist 6 million to play on the 3rd line but we’ll pay Matheson 5 million to play on the 3rd pairing. Oh and toss in an expensive 4th liner we don’t really need too.

Hornqvist is 5.3 mil

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Way to early to tell. Judging how Matheson will fit in our system after 2 games is moronic. I certainly will wait in this one until the year is out. I remember people on these boards thinking the same thing when Sprong got off to a hot start with a ton of early goals. Pettersson was obviously a big win in that trade but ask people 10 or even 20 games in and that certainly was not the consensus.

This will all come down to how Matheson does and nothing to do how Hornqvist does. Hornqvist is a mid 30's winger that was paid $5.3 million to play 3rd line duty for us as of late. If Matheson learns our system and can learn to harness his great assets while playing a less risky game we could very easily win this trade.

TKalltheTime

Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I think a lot of people need to take a peek at how horrid that MM contract & length is, because a lot of people are ignoring those important things in all this. Ha

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Hornqvist was a toxic asset also at his age and cap hit. Look how teams like Tampa couldn't literally give TJ away with his $5 million cap. I don't think some of you know what the situation was. Also this year was not about cap hit but real money cap and Matheson's real money hit is $3 million to Hornqvist $5.3 million. I still think this can be a win for the Pens with Matheson being in his prime and his top end skating and many other good skill sets. Like I said in the last post, judging a trade after Matheson played 2 games in our new system. Let's see how he adjusts to our style of play. Again same crap heard after Sprongs hot start and at least he was a prospect. It really doesn't matter what Hornqvist does as far as how this trade works out. Hornqvist is what he is and no hot start means anything in this trade. Matheson will decide how this trade ends up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hornqvist was a toxic asset also at his age and cap hit. Look how teams like Tampa couldn't literally give TJ away with his $5 million cap. I don't think some of you know what the situation was. Also this year was not about cap hit but real money cap and Matheson's real money hit is $3 million to Hornqvist $5.3 million. I still think this can be a win for the Pens with Matheson being in his prime and his top end skating and many other good skill sets. Like I said in the last post, judging a trade after Matheson played 2 games in our new system. Let's see how he adjusts to our style of play. Again same crap heard after Sprongs hot start and at least he was a prospect. It really doesn't matter what Hornqvist does as far as how this trade works out. Hornqvist is what he is and no hot start means anything in this trade. Matheson will decide how this trade ends up.

?? Comparing Hornqvist and Sprong is the most nonsensical thing I’ve read in some time. Horny is as consistent as they come in terms of career production. What he’s doing in Florida isn’t a surprise.

As for the cash vs caphit thing, if that was a major driver for trading Horny, okay cool, but from a hockey perspective, it’s a major turd of a trade.

Reactions: TKalltheTime

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Dude. He was healthy scratched by his team in crucial games with 6 years and $29M remaining.

It's one thing to think he could benefit from a change of scenery. Maybe he can. But that's a contract you need to pay big-time to get out of.

And real-money = Burkle saves $$$$. Don't care. It ain't going to me.

Reactions: Shady Machine

TKalltheTime

Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?? Ahhahhaahhahahahaahha Good Lord!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's the Reaves trade. The Reaves trade made me realize he didn't know what he was doing and everything up to that point was just happy accidents.

That trade sucked for sure. That said, not totally sure I agree with happy accident thing. Just more that it showed how emotional and reactionary he can be in trades. It’s like he was so bent out of shape by Wilson he HAD to have the toughest dude in the league on his team and he’d pay stupidly to get it.

Reactions: BHD

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Sheahan trade was good for the time being. Brassard was a decent trade at first but now we look back at that 1st we lost. Perron lead to the HBK line.

That 1st didn't turn out much as far as I know. The only 1st round picks or prospects that ever made it as anything good during the whole Crosby era was Barzal and while Perron did not work out for us he still is a very good player even now and we traded for Hagelin and won 2 Cups so everything is good with that deal. Kapanen was the only prospect to develop into anything good and we just got him back.

People on these boards value prospects and picks way higher than they really are. Many more Esposito's, Despres's, Bennett's, Pouliot's, and Joe Morrow's of the world in tbe second half of the 1st round than getting a Barzal. All take the proven top 6 forward or even very good 3rd liner over a pick that might never be near as good. I never mind trading for players young and with term. Hated the rental types like Shero used to do when you give up a 1st and prospects for a few months of a player.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?? Ahhahhaahhahahahaahha Good Lord!

I am talking about he has negative trade value. What don't you understand about that???? Mid 30's $5.3 million cap hit and compare it to TJ from Tampa. $5 million contract and younger and they couldn't give him away. Literally they tried by putting him on waivers and anyone could of had him for free. Somehow though people think Hornqvist wasn't a negative trade asset.

Matheson is in prime and has some great tools. I will wait more than 2 games before judging this deal. Like I said it all comes down to Matheson because Hornqvist is what he is and no hot start means anything in this deal. If Matheson plays well in our system we win this trade getting the younger more skilled player. If Matheson doesn't clean up his play we lose it slightly. It was time to move on from the older, slower, less skilled players. I love Hornqvist and all he did for us but his time was over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad