The worst trade of JR’s Penguins career (so far)...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's 100% the Reeves trade because he took what won us 2 Cups and went in a totally different direction.

Here's what I don't get...our 4th line the Cup year was, I believe, Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Rowney? Then Bonino gets hurt and Wilson and Archibald take his place? Okay, cool, we still win. Reaves has out produced every one of them since. You don't win and lose cups on a 4th line guy.

Let's not forget, Reaves was sent out and we went and got Brassard in the deal. We were in the best possible position to three-peat than any team in the last 20 years. And they lost to the Cup champion Capitals in 6 in a series where Murray was not stellar.

...and somehow the cards came crashing down over a trade for a 4th line player who spent 50 some games with us? Calling bullshit.

Reactions: ncm7772

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Again, why is it those players fault over the core not performing? Placing the blame on Rutherford seems extreme when he has done a lot of nice moves since the middle of 2019.

So basically it isn’t the GMs job to put players around an aging core to help them?

You don’t find it troubling JR has invested multiple first rounders and some of their best prospects, along with valuable cap space... and the players returned on that substantial investment have helped this team win exactly one of the last ten playoff games?

That kind of ROI would bankrupt any business I know of.

I wish I had professors in college that grade on the curve you do for JR.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So basically it isn’t the GMs job to put players around an aging core to help them?

You don’t find it troubling JR has invested multiple first rounders and some of their best prospects, along with valuable cap space... and the players returned on that substantial investment have helped this team win exactly one of the last ten playoff games?

Oh goody, here we go. NAME THE PLAYERS. Go ahead.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Here's what I don't get...our 4th line the Cup year was, I believe, Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Rowney? Then Bonino gets hurt and Wilson and Archibald take his place? Okay, cool, we still win. Reaves has out produced every one of them since. You don't win and lose cups on a 4th line guy.

Let's not forget, Reaves was sent out and we went and got Brassard in the deal. We were in the best possible position to three-peat than any team in the last 20 years. And they lost to the Cup champion Capitals in 6 in a series where Murray was not stellar.

...and somehow the cards came crashing down over a trade for a 4th line player who spent 50 some games with us? Calling bullshit.

Reaves has not outproduced Archibald on a PPG pace.

Reactions: SEALBound

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Not to mention the team is paying $3.2 mil to Bjugstad and Johnson this season. He literally cost this team millions.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not to mention the team is paying $3.2 mil to Bjugstad and Johnson this season. He literally cost this team millions.

Then stop following the team led by the man that you hate so much. Easy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Reaves has not outproduced Archibald on a PPG pace.

When I checked against the other names, I didn't include Archy. I actually had to go back and look at the roster to see who got those games in 2017. Could only remember Wilson and Rowney.

.3 to .2 PPG. Difference of 8pts over 82.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh goody, here we go. NAME THE PLAYERS. Go ahead.

Name what players. Your post makes about as much sense as a pet rock.

Cap space is an extremely valuable asset, so any time it's being wasted in dead space, the GM obviously blew it in some manner.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Then stop following the team led by the man that you hate so much. Easy.
That’s nonsense. I’m not going to stop following the team because the GM has been awful for 3+ years.

If you aren’t concerned with what JR has done recently, then you aren’t objective. He made some amazing trades in 2014 and 2015. Shero’s late round picks and JR fixed a flawed team left by Shero, no doubt.

But it’s 2021, guy. Accomplishments for years ago don’t impress me anymore.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Or he could lose his job for continued incompetence, as he should have!

That’s nonsense. I’m not going to stop following the team because the GM has been awful for 3+ years.

If you aren’t concerned with what JR has done recently, then you aren’t objective. He made some amazing trades in 2014 and 2015. Shero’s late round picks and JR fixed a flawed team left by Shero, no doubt.

But it’s 2021, guy. Accomplishments for years ago don’t impress me anymore.

He's brought in top 6 wings Zucker and Kapanen, bought out Johnson, traded Bjugstad, traded for an entire bomb 2nd pairing in Marino and Pettersson costing a Sprong and a 6th, he traded for a dman that can hopefully help in puck movement, transition, and offense, he fired the assistant coaches (and especially the one who seems keen on JMFJ), and brought in two guys capable of replacing Sullivan.

If you want to bitch about two one-year, league-minimum contracts because they weren't your guys and thinking they are the difference between us competing and not...and then having the gall to suggest I'm not being "objective"...get the f*** out.

Hate to break it to you guys, 30 GMs EVERY YEAR fail to win the cup. Some with better rosters, many with worse. It's the nature of the game and the league. Every year, there's a finite amount of capable resources in the league and a single GM only has so much power to obtain them. The rosters are what they are at some point and eventually, it has to be up to the players to execute. And they haven't.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He's brought in top 6 wings Zucker and Kapanen, bought out Johnson, traded Bjugstad, traded for an entire bomb 2nd pairing in Marino and Pettersson costing a Sprong and a 6th, he traded for a dman that can hopefully help in puck movement, transition, and offense, he fired the assistant coaches (and especially the one who seems keen on JMFJ), and brought in two guys capable of replacing Sullivan.

If you want to bitch about two one-year, league-minimum contracts because they weren't your guys and thinking they are the difference between us competing and not...and then having the gall to suggest I'm not being "objective"...get the f*** out.

Hate to break it to you guys, 30 GMs EVERY YEAR fail to win the cup. Some with better rosters, many with worse. It's the nature of the game and the league. Every year, there's a finite amount of capable resources in the league and a single GM only has so much power to obtain them. The rosters are what they are at some point and eventually, it has to be up to the players to execute. And they haven't.
Your logic is flawed giving him credit for buying out Johnson. He should never have been signed.

There is a reason why Florida was so keen on dumping Bjugstad; he’s been absolute garbage since the trade. We are also paying like $2 million of Bjugstad’s contract this year, so it’s not like he dumped him on someone at no cost to us.

Matheson is also on most top 10 worst contract list in the entire NHL, soooo yay.

KK is a solid player, but Dubas wrecked JR in that trade. We were in the position of power but Dubas flipped the table on JR.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t know if JR has a handshake deal with the Panthers if he’s fired here, but it’s so odd that we’ve become their dumping ground.

I almost hope he does because it would at least make sense.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Your logic is flawed giving him credit for buying out Johnson. He should never have been signed.

There is a reason why Florida was so keen on dumping Bjugstad; he’s been absolute garbage since the trade. We are also paying like $2 million of Bjugstad’s contract this year, so it’s not like he dumped him on someone at no cost to us.

Matheson is also on most top 10 worst contract list in the entire NHL, soooo yay.

KK is a solid player, but Dubas wrecked JR in that trade. We were in the position of power but Dubas flipped the table on JR.

Your back must be aching with all that goalpost moving you've been doing recently.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Your back must be aching with all that goalpost moving you've been doing recently.
Try being even a little bit objective, my friend. Most of the moves you commend him for had to be made to fix his previous poor decisions.

You are praising him for buying out JJ and trading Bjugstad. We should be happy he’s responsible for pissing away $3.2 million to players on other teams in a season where we had to slash payroll????

200.gif

Come on, guy. You are better than that.

Namaste. Let’s try to have a civilized conversation. Pretend I’m one of the more likable posters like @Tom Hanks.

Last edited:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I really have no problem with most of his trades ... EXCEPT the last Hornqvist one ... IF you want to dump Hornqvist for cap/money reason I can understand, but getting a very questionable player with 6 years remaining and adding cap in the deal too is the worst trade of JR’s Penguins career.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->