TV: The Wire All Purpose Thread Part 3: World just keeps turning, right?

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Looking at it critically, no Rocky IV isn't actually the best one. But, I finalized my Rocky rankings when I was 15 and at 15, Rocky IV is definitely the best. It has the most montages, the most important stakes (revenge for his murdered friend AND ending the Cold War) and probably the best fight scene. And it's the most quotable.
ok, so change 12 to 15 lol.

4 is the one that stands the test of time the LEAST of all movies. I found it abominable.

But to each his own.

As per the current discussion about season 3 of the wire, no it is not overrated. Season 3 had a bevy of amazing plotlines. Amsterdam, the politicians, Rawls lines this season as commissioner were priceless. The rise of the stanfield gang and beginning of the dissolution of the Barksdale gang with the splinter between Avon and Stringer,

Its a great season. Hell, they all are. 5 being the step down in quality

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
1 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 5

For me

I actually enjoyed the Newspaper stuff in season 5 and thought they could have incorporated it better as an angle involved in BPD and I enjoyed the aspect about BPD funding cuts and effects it was having,, I hated the created serial killer nonsense

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Season 3 has a bit of everything that makes the show great. I think that S3 is the peak of the show, S4 isn't far behind it, and S2/S1 is probably a notch below that, but still perfect. S5 is a lot rougher than the other seasons and has some glaring weaknesses, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit and didn't feel that it ruined the series in any way.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
^^^^^ Agreed.

Season 3 introduces Marlo and Carcetti, and has the Hamsterdam and Avon/Stringer subplots which are two of the show's best IMO. The Avon/Stringer stuff in particular is incredible, as good as it gets in any medium.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Just watched the 1st episode last night. Going for my first real go at it (I know, I know) I liked it a lot but it feels like it has a lot of that fake-edgy, let me say some real street-smart badass shit that can get old fast. I mean, I loved the way the opening scene was set-up with McNulty talking to the gambler, but that whole " This is America, you gotta let him play. " line made me cringe hard.

Sep 19, 2008
Just watched the 1st episode last night. Going for my first real go at it (I know, I know) I liked it a lot but it feels like it has a lot of that fake-edgy, let me say some real street-smart badass **** that can get old fast. I mean, I loved the way the opening scene was set-up with McNulty talking to the gambler, but that whole " This is America, you gotta let him play. " line made me cringe hard.

Keep watching

Sep 19, 2008
The writing is hilarious as you go on into the series. It can be frank and honest.

"All in the props, baby."

"There's never been a paper bag...for drugs. Until now."

"Mr. Colvin. f*** you."

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Just watched the 1st episode last night. Going for my first real go at it (I know, I know) I liked it a lot but it feels like it has a lot of that fake-edgy, let me say some real street-smart badass **** that can get old fast. I mean, I loved the way the opening scene was set-up with McNulty talking to the gambler, but that whole " This is America, you gotta let him play. " line made me cringe hard.

000.gif

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Whaaaaat

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

They were probably trying to be safe enough to get picked up by HBO

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
43 ——- 1 —2 ———————- 5

I still enjoyed 5, and actually liked the media arc... but I agree with everyone about that Mcnulty murder subplot. Good god.

The season does wrap the show up nicely though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well, I definitely disagree with the "fake-edgy, let me say some real street-smart badass ****" bit. I don't think that's entirely accurate, but I can kind of see why you might get that impression initially. Was the line that you pointed out meant to be an example of that?

I do think that it's entirely fair criticism that the show sometimes gets a little too precious and writer-ly in the way that it's delivered. You can tell that David Simon has a grab-bag of big profound quotes that make you think in mind that he wants to set up in the show, and sometimes that comes across as feeling too on the nose (he is a journalist after-all). That continues to happen throughout the show. They're all generally pretty great quotes in isolation that ring pretty true and are entirely appropriate, though, so some people might think you're crazy for pointing that out.

The show does so many things beautifully and admirably that even if you consider all of these things flaws, it still holds up brilliantly, though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad