TV: The Wire All Purpose Thread Part 3: World just keeps turning, right?

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
You earned that buck like a motha****er, man, keep that ****.

I was recently watching that clip and I'm almost positive its bump, not buck.

I don't know what it is about that scene I like so much, maybe just the meeting of those two worlds and how the clerk acts when snoop starts going off about how even a .22 will kill anyone.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand

I don't know what it is about that scene I like so much, maybe just the meeting of those two worlds and how the clerk acts when snoop starts going off about how even a .22 will kill anyone.

And her genuine appreciation of someone doing a good job

Such a great scene, one of my favourite cold openings in any show.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Just finished season 1. 10/10. Just brilliant and acting cast is incredible.

Never wtached the show before

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

It says "buck" in the subtitles, so I assume that was the intention of the dialogue.

Besides, I think buck makes way more sense considering he isn't getting a bump in pay, just an extra buck due to her tip.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
It says "buck" in the subtitles, so I assume that was the intention of the dialogue.

Besides, I think buck makes way more sense considering he isn't getting a bump in pay, just an extra buck due to her tip.

Bump makes just as much sense as buck to me. I never turned the subtitles on, but if you listen closely it's bump. Not that it matters either way.

I wanted to see that scene recently as I said, so I started watching season 4. I'm almost finished it already and I guess I may as well start at season 1 after this and then skip 4 on another rewatch. This will probably be a half dozen.

Edit: one flaw I noticed in season 4 is when they go back to the scene where Herc fired the nail gun, it's clearly a different place. Initially it was on a curved curb, maybe near an intersection, when they go back it's in the middle of the street with a straight curb. I only point it out because normally The Wire is so careful about stuff like this.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Agreed with what everyone above me said. Season 2 and 5 seem to be considered the worst seasons. I loved season 2, and I thought 5 was good even though it was a bit unrealistic. Season one was the worst only because it starts off extremely slow. Season 3 and 4 are the best, imo of course.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Agreed with what everyone above me said. Season 2 and 5 seem to be considered the worst seasons. I loved season 2, and I thought 5 was good even though it was a bit unrealistic. Season one was the worst only because it starts off extremely slow. Season 3 and 4 are the best, imo of course.

I thought 3 was better than 4, but 4 was still very good. I didn't think it was the blockbuster, best TV series season ever that some said it was, but it was still excellent. I also thought Season 2 was decent but thought Season 5 was a step down. Good but not on the level of the others.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
4, 1, 3, 2, 5.

An easy way to remember is that this is also the correct order of the Rocky movies.
Yeah that seems like a fair order.

Also I'm surprised nobody seemed to mention that Reg Cathey (Norman Wilson, Carcetti's campaign manager) passed away a couple weeks ago.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Through Season 4 of my re-watch. Season 4 and 2 aren't as bad as everyone thinks it is.
Season 2 was awesome.

Any fan of true Crime and union corruption was going to love that season. People just in it for the gangsta life aspect of the show look down on that season, but it was great.

Season 4 was great too

Reactions: G F O P

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Rocky 4 was crap lol

giphy.gif

Sep 19, 2008
Season 2 was awesome.

Any fan of true Crime and union corruption was going to love that season. People just in it for the gangsta life aspect of the show look down on that season, but it was great.

Season 4 was great too
Absolutely. I wasn't looking forward to it during the re watch at first but the story of the hard working dock workers was great. Better off the second time you watch.

Love child ddddddddd never meant to be

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I fail to see how Rocky 4 comes in 1st on ANYBODY's list. If you care to explain your reasoning to me. The only rocky I disliked more was 5. Rocky Balboa and Creed were both far superior films as well.

It was a propaganda style film with minimal story. Great for American kids 12 years old and under, but terribad for adults.
Big Russian kills Apollo in the ring, Rocky fights him next and keeps getting back up. GO USA?

It had all the appeal of the recycled storyline of Lex Luger body Slamming Yokozuna. It was better when Hulk Hogan did it to Andre the giant 10 years prior. Sorry.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Part of the issue with debating seasons of the Wire is that they are all really good and people end up "trashing" one over another when in reality they are all extremely solid pieces of storytelling.

I only really have issues with Season 5 and I think it's because Simon finally got a little too personal for the good of the show.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I fail to see how Rocky 4 comes in 1st on ANYBODY's list. If you care to explain your reasoning to me. The only rocky I disliked more was 5. Rocky Balboa and Creed were both far superior films as well.

It was a propaganda style film with minimal story. Great for American kids 12 years old and under, but terribad for adults.
Big Russian kills Apollo in the ring, Rocky fights him next and keeps getting back up. GO USA?

It had all the appeal of the recycled storyline of Lex Luger body Slamming Yokozuna. It was better when Hulk Hogan did it to Andre the giant 10 years prior. Sorry.

Looking at it critically, no Rocky IV isn't actually the best one. But, I finalized my Rocky rankings when I was 15 and at 15, Rocky IV is definitely the best. It has the most montages, the most important stakes (revenge for his murdered friend AND ending the Cold War) and probably the best fight scene. And it's the most quotable.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Part of the issue with debating seasons of the Wire is that they are all really good and people end up "trashing" one over another when in reality they are all extremely solid pieces of storytelling.

I only really have issues with Season 5 and I think it's because Simon finally got a little too personal for the good of the show.

I agree with this. Even 5 is one of the ~20 best seasons of TV I've ever seen. I have Season 2 as my fourth best, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any other drama produce a better season than it.

For the first four seasons, the only things that really separate them for me are a few individual character arcs. The kids in Season 4 resonate with me more than any other characters, so I have it highest. Frank is really the only great character introduced in Season 2 for me, so I have it lowest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad