TV: The Wire All Purpose Thread Part 3: World just keeps turning, right?

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
Yea I didn't mind Season 2 at all. I also liked it even more the second time around.
I'd rank the seasons 4, 3, 2, 1, 5

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Season 2 was an awesome season of TV that seems weak in hindsight because of the absolutely incredible television that followed it.

I would rank the seasons: 4, 3, 1, 2, 5. But every season is probably amongst the Top 10 seasons of any television ever.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
On the final episode of season 4. Didn't care much for this season going in to the last 3-4 episodes, but those last episodes made that whole season.

Comfort Eagle

Feb 28, 2008
Southeastern,MA
Finally finished the series a couple of days ago. Sad really as now I don't have anymore episodes to look forward to. Maybe I'll start it over again? Must say that Bubbles and Omar are my favorite characters. Any other shows like this that I can watch online?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Finished my 2nd time watching The Wire. After S3 and S4, S5 didn't seem clearly as good, but I still enjoyed it quite a lot. There were some things in that season that bothered me, but it had its great moments too. TV at its best. Have watched like half of Westworld now and it just doesn't seem that good after watching The Wire.

Where to go from here? Its like, I won the lottery jackpot, and then try to win it again but only get smaller winnings from time to time. I think I just have to start looping great shows to not get disappointed :laugh:

I think I'd rate the seasons:
S1: 9.5/10
S2: 8.5-9/10
S3: 10/10
S4: 10/10
S5: 9/10

Favorite characters:
[spoil]Bubbles
Omar
D

LVP:
Ziggy[/spoil]

Finally finished the series a couple of days ago. Sad really as now I don't have anymore episodes to look forward to. Maybe I'll start it over again? Must say that Bubbles and Omar are my favorite characters. Any other shows like this that I can watch online?

Hah, didn't even notice your post before I post mine. I have same feelings as you :laugh:

Sopranos recommended. Just as great as The Wire.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
i remember having that same feeling after i finished the wire.

the feeling that nothing would ever be as good.

luckily the next show i got into was breaking bad s1 to s3

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You can always try things that are non-dramas that give you a different feeling. For my money, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Dekalog, Cowboy Bebop, and Planet Earth could be in a tier within striking distance of The Wire.

I've never really understood why dramas seem to be treated like they have such a monopoly on good television. The Wire actually reveals how lacking most of them really are. I just saw Westworld as well, and it was definitely one of those cases.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If you're looking for something else then look no further than Deadwood. Still better than The Wire in my opinion. Amazing dialogue and performances across the board.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If you're looking for something else then look no further than Deadwood. Still better than The Wire in my opinion. Amazing dialogue and performances across the board.

I watched it when I was a teenager and didn't find it that interesting good for some reason. Maybe I should will give it another try, I've seen many people compliment the show.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I watched it when I was a teenager and didn't find it that interesting good for some reason. Maybe I should will give it another try, I've seen many people compliment the show.

It's very dialogue heavy and so after multiple viewings I've picked up things I missed the first time. For me it's still my favorite show ever and the performances across the board are top drawer.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think s4 is crazy overrated. Yeah the kids were a nice storyline and they had some good acting but once the Barksdale crew disappeared as major players I felt the street story took a major nosedive. Marlo wasn't entertaining enough to carry it like Avon did.

S1 is still the best to me. Then S2-4 are all close and S5 is several levels below the first 4 seasons.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
After finishing the whole series, I'd go 1, 3, 4, 5, 2

Mine is something like this, except I'd swap 5 and 2. 5 had some great moments but I just couldn't get over that stupid serial killer angle or the awful newspaper stuff.

1, 3 and 4 are in it's own tier and then 2 is a notch below and 5 is a notch below that.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Mine is something like this, except I'd swap 5 and 2. 5 had some great moments but I just couldn't get over that stupid serial killer angle or the awful newspaper stuff.

1, 3 and 4 are in it's own tier and then 2 is a notch below and 5 is a notch below that.

Yeah. In the final season (I didn't watch when the show was current, so I don't know if it was KNOWN to be the final season at the time or not) there were so many angles and stories they could take on that it just seems like such a waste that they spent so much time on the newspaper and serial killer stuff.

[spoil]I personally would have loved to see more on Michael's transformation. That was such a drastic change in character from when he was first introduced to where he was in the finale. That may have been their intention though, just to show how essentially Michael became what Namond was expected to be and how the one that did the most talking was the least prepared to back it up.

I wouldn't have at all minded more of Omar hunting Marlo. Omar to me was easily the best character in the series. His death (while it definitely shocked me) was pretty disappointing. Almost felt like a throwaway death to me.[/spoil]

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Have started another watch through, finished the second season last night, forgot how great Frank Sobotka was as a character. I definitely think the second season improves the more you watch it.

Also Herc saying "maybe three holes is a code for three stash houses" when they're listening to Poot have phone sex is a hilarious line i'd completely forgot about.

Reactions: G F O P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->