OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

Pink Floyd are one of those bands you either love or you can't stand. They've been one of my favorites for most of my life though, and this particular song is one of those that--as sappy as it sounds--seems to get more meaningful the older I get.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
As I mentioned in the Video Game thread, Ori and the Blind Forrest soundtrack has been dominating my eardrums. It's very piano/strings/brass/percussion dominated. Definitely not for everyone. Gotta be in the mood for soundtrack/orchestral stuff.

Because Tool:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
You can NEVER go wrong with Tool, especially after orange slices and real spooning.

Agreed, you can never go wrong with Tool ... my all time favorite. You can, however, go wrong hoping for a new flipping album some time soon. Part of me is slowly resigning myself to the possibility that there won't be another album. At least that way, if a new one comes out, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Do you like Iced Earth?

Do you like Blind Guardian?

Do you like Stephen Kings "Dark Tower" series?

Well, you'd like Demons and Wizards. Best rhythm guitarist in the business (Iced Earth) and one of the best vocalists in the business (Blind Guardian) in a supergroup with a concept album based on the Dark Tower. Excuse the potato quality . . . but this is a really great band. Sadly only two albums though.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Do you like Iced Earth?

Do you like Blind Guardian?

Do you like Stephen Kings "Dark Tower" series?

Well, you'd like Demons and Wizards. Best rhythm guitarist in the business (Iced Earth) and one of the best vocalists in the business (Blind Guardian) in a supergroup with a concept album based on the Dark Tower. Excuse the potato quality . . . but this is a really great band. Sadly only two albums though.

The s/t debut album is miles better than the follow up, but yeah :yo:

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I didn't think Soilwork could follow up the masterpiece that was 'The Living Infinite'. Every song on that 2 CD set was amazing. I am floored that I was wrong. The only flaw I can find in their new disc 'The Ride Majestic' is that it's only one CD.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I really like that 'Death Of A King' tune of theirs. Heard it a few months back. Haven't had a chance to really delve into much else of their catalog.

They're one of those bands that went through a pretty significant change in their sound mid-career, but ended up even better because of it (which isn't always the case). Their first album was pretty straight up death metal (aside from the lyrics), but they got more melodic as they went on, before a ton of lineup changes like ten years ago now that kind of brought them full circle, where now they have a great blend of "old and new". "Silent Waters" is probably my favorite album from their most recent period, so I'd recommend checking that one out first, if you were so inclined :nod:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I really like that 'Death Of A King' tune of theirs. Heard it a few months back. Haven't had a chance to really delve into much else of their catalog.

Kind of to echo what Fremitus mentioned, if you liked Death of a King I'd hazard to say you'd like, at the very least, everything since the Silent Waters album ... which is also my favorite. The band is consistently good over the last ... I don't know ... 5 or 6 albums. Love Amorphis, a lot. :yo:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Kind of to echo what Fremitus mentioned, if you liked Death of a King I'd hazard to say you'd like, at the very least, everything since the Silent Waters album ... which is also my favorite. The band is consistently good over the last ... I don't know ... 5 or 6 albums. Love Amorphis, a lot. :yo:

:thumbu:

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Been listeting to these guys a lot lately.

Starts with a classical piece by Gioachino Rossini and then changes to The Trooper by Iron Maiden

Muse Hyteria cover

Their own piece permorfed live

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

Discussion in the OT thread the other day reminded me how much I love this band, and this live album specifically. There's a reason Blind Guardian always ended their shows with "Mirror, Mirror" :bow: :yo:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Discussion in the OT thread the other day reminded me how much I love this band, and this live album specifically. There's a reason Blind Guardian always ended their shows with "Mirror, Mirror" :bow: :yo:

Easily one of my favorite vocalists in metal. I wish he and Schaffer would get together and do another Demons and Wizards album, it's been forever.

Minnesota - If you're looking for another "Tool-esque" band I would also check out Karnivool and Soen. Both are excellent.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Agreed, you can never go wrong with Tool ... my all time favorite. You can, however, go wrong hoping for a new flipping album some time soon. Part of me is slowly resigning myself to the possibility that there won't be another album. At least that way, if a new one comes out, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Word is that they are finishing up an album now, and it will be released by End of Year!!!!!

anyone ever listen to Minnesota's own "Powermad"? Great thrash band from the 90's ... personally don't understand why they didn't make it big.

Lately I've been on a 80's & 90's metal kick ......
Twisted Sister (Under The Blade album)
Spread Eagle (love these guys)
Iron Maiden (Powerslave album)
King Diamond (Abigail & Them albums)
Motely Crue (Too Fast for Love)
Anthrax
WASP (The Headless Children ** a freaking incredible album!)
Skid Row (Slave To The Grind ** another under-appreciated masterpiece)

of the "new stuff" I find myself enjoying:

Volbeat
Breaking Benjamin
Paramore (yes, I know .... :huh::dunno::facepalm: )
Avenged Sevenfold
Alterbridge & Tremonti (but NOT Creed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad