OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I keep wondering what I would have thought of this White Stripes song in 1999 when it was first released. I didn't start paying attention to them until 03' when Seven Nation Army took off. Going back, I'm definitely appreciating some of their older stuff too.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Katatonia's new record is out and is fantastic. Not too many bands evolve over their lifespan as much as they have and still remain really good, even if drastically different. Anathema is the only other band with a similar change, that I can think of, that is still very good. From the new album, not my favorite track, but still good and an official video.

And one of my favorite tracks from an older album. Starting at the three minute mark it gets epic. Allthough, if you aren't a fan of doom you probably won't like it. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) on vocals here.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
And on the COMPLETE other end of the spectrum, and local, Cecil Otter is finally putting out some new songs.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Katatonia's new record is out and is fantastic. Not too many bands evolve over their lifespan as much as they have and still remain really good, even if drastically different. Anathema is the only other band with a similar change, that I can think of, that is still very good. From the new album, not my favorite track, but still good and an official video.

And one of my favorite tracks from an older album. Starting at the three minute mark it gets epic. Allthough, if you aren't a fan of doom you probably won't like it. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) on vocals here.

Yeah, they've changed a lot, that's for sure. I haven't kept up with much of their newer stuff, but I used to listen to "Brave, Murder, Day" and "Discouraged Ones" all the time (even though those two are nothing alike).

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I've spent the last couple years actively hating Opeth's new direction, specifically their last release Pale Communion. All of the sudden, today, thought I'd give it another listen and it's now clicked for me. This album is insanely good. I think I just can't compare them to their old style, i.e. Blackwater Park and previous. Almost like two different bands, but I really like Pale Communion now. :yo:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I've had the same happen to me... Just all of a sudden an album or band will click with me. Not sure what that's called?

One example that sticks in my memory was Tool's Lateralus - I had that album for years before it finally clicked with me, and Tool quickly became one of my favorite bands.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I've had the same happen to me... Just all of a sudden an album or band will click with me. Not sure what that's called?

One example that sticks in my memory was Tool's Lateralus - I had that album for years before it finally clicked with me, and Tool quickly became one of my favorite bands.
Yup. I remember complaining when lateralus came out that it sounded way too much like a perfect circle and less like Tool. Lateralus is nowadays my favorite Tool album

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I've spent the last couple years actively hating Opeth's new direction, specifically their last release Pale Communion. All of the sudden, today, thought I'd give it another listen and it's now clicked for me. This album is insanely good. I think I just can't compare them to their old style, i.e. Blackwater Park and previous. Almost like two different bands, but I really like Pale Communion now. :yo:

Yeah, maybe that'll happen for me eventually. I just haven't given much attention to any of the new proggy Opeth stuff. It always just felt to me like Mikael just started trying too hard to prove he liked 70s prog, and dragged Opeth (which was basically just him, anyway) with him in the process.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Can't stop listening to this new album by Glass Animals.

Last edited:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

Really trying to get into newer Opeth, but I just can't quite do it. The musicianship is still there of course, but there's just something missing. It's like in Mikael's quest to become a 70's prog band, he's abandoned the whole vibe/feeling that made Opeth great in the first place. I dunno.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland

Really trying to get into newer Opeth, but I just can't quite do it. The musicianship is still there of course, but there's just something missing. It's like in Mikael's quest to become a 70's prog band, he's abandoned the whole vibe/feeling that made Opeth great in the first place. I dunno.

I know exactly what you mean. This is missing.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Well yeah, obviously ;)

It's just hard to quantify without complaining about the lack of aggressive vocals and such now. But I mean, I loved "Damnation" even though there were no growly vocals on it, because it still "felt" like Opeth, ya know? This stuff just doesn't, really.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yeah ... pale communion has finally clicked for me, but that new track doesn't. It's very boring and, other than the bass, there's just nothing really interesting to comment on. Hoping the rest of the album is a bit better. I do miss Blackwater Park Opeth though, that's for sure.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah ... pale communion has finally clicked for me, but that new track doesn't. It's very boring and, other than the bass, there's just nothing really interesting to comment on. Hoping the rest of the album is a bit better. I do miss Blackwater Park Opeth though, that's for sure.

My first Opeth album was Morningrise, so I'm used to them changing their sound. There was (at the time) a pretty big jump between that one and MAYH, and then again (sort of) to Blackwater Park, and then again with Damnation... and then Ghost Reveries, and so on. But this stuff is just... I dunno. I've tried, I just can't really get into it. All those other records "felt like Opeth" right away, even when the sound changed; their last five years or whatever just doesn't.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Yeah, I'm playing bass. I'm currently playing in 2 bands, Scarpath and Phoenix Titan. I'll paste some Phoenix Titan stuff here when we'll get something with good enough quality out.

That Scarpath tune reminded me of Die Kreuzen ,Midwest band from the eighties....

Good times.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Speaking of Opeth, I found their 2015 performance at Wacken Open Air on YouTube, decided to check it out to see (yet again) if I could appreciate the new material. Verdict: the new stuff sounds better (to me) live than it does on the albums.... but sweet holy Jesus, Mikael's harsh vocals are embarrassingly bad now :( It's almost like he's phoning it in on purpose so fans stop demanding they play more old songs :help:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Speaking of Opeth, I found their 2015 performance at Wacken Open Air on YouTube, decided to check it out to see (yet again) if I could appreciate the new material. Verdict: the new stuff sounds better (to me) live than it does on the albums.... but sweet holy Jesus, Mikael's harsh vocals are embarrassingly bad now :( It's almost like he's phoning it in on purpose so fans stop demanding they play more old songs :help:

Funny, Mikael's harsh vocals were very good when they were touring this summer on the Monsters of Rock, warming up for Black Sabbath.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
So Evergrey's new album came out a little bit ago. Like it, don't love it. Tom Englund's vocals are top notch as ever . . . . but the music is the same as usual,a little boring and the lyrics are super cheesy. Englund is so good that I'd give it a 3 out of 5. But, all I can think about when I listen to the new stuff is how much I loved "In Search Of Truth." I'm kind of a schmuck for concept albums and this one is focused solely on alien abductions, another thing I find fascinating. I don't think there's a bad track on this whole recording, definitely recommend it.

They have another concept album "Inner Circle" with the story revolving around religion/cults that's also really good, but I'd recommend "In search of Truth" first, especially if you watched X-files back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->