OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread: Part Deux

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Dig the heck out of this band. Its probably not everyone's cup 'o tea, especially this particular track (its a bit odd) But I find it really fun, especially the horn at the end. Great prog.

Edit. I've said it in previous jukebox posts for different artists, but I'll say it again. Holy shit do I hate that guitar style without the tuning nobs at the end.

I've tried on a few occasions and really haven't found anything of theirs that's really clicked with me. Not that I dislike them, just indifferent.

Think there is another name for them, but most guitarists just call them fan fret guitars. I've never tried playing one. At least none of the modern ones. I played a Steinberger back in the 80's. Eddie Van Halen and Vito Bratta (White Lion guitarist) had them for a short time. I definitely didn't vibe with it when I tried it. The necks were plastic and that headless neck made me feel like my hand was just going to fly off the end. I can't remember what the benefit is to them. Think I read it had something to do with the intonation and the instrument being more in tune with itself. (Not in the hippie sense of things, lol).

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Will check them out momentarily. Same vocalist as the last album? It was great, good running music.
Yep. Really love that they were finally able to settle on a singer. I got into them when Matt Barlow (former Iced Earth singer) did the one album with them in '08. Think this will be 4 albums now with the current singer. Really dig this guys voice.

Fun fact. And you're probably too young to know who Lance King is. Was the singer for a local Minneapolis 80's metal band called Gemini. But, he actually sang on Pyramaze's first two albums.

They must have some sort of tie to Minneapolis. They did this song several years ago and this gal is from here as well:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Will check them out momentarily. Same vocalist as the last album? It was great, good running music.
Crazy that both Lance King and Matt Barlow have been lead vocalists and I still prefer this guy. Pumped.

Ive been listening to the new Evergrey on repeat. Really, really, good album.

So weird how much I love Englund in Evergrey and do NOT like him in Redemption. Alder = Redemption. Period.

Yep. Really love that they were finally able to settle on a singer. I got into them when Matt Barlow (former Iced Earth singer) did the one album with them in '08. Think this will be 4 albums now with the current singer. Really dig this guys voice.

Fun fact. And you're probably too young to know who Lance King is. Was the singer for a local Minneapolis 80's metal band called Gemini. But, he actually sang on Pyramaze's first two albums.
Hahaha. While I'm not old enough to have seen him in the 80's.... If he would have been around in the 90s during 93x loud and local (man, that was so much fun) I would have been able to see him. Lance King great

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Crazy that both Lance King and Matt Barlow have been lead vocalists and I still prefer this guy. Pumped.

Ive been listening to the new Evergrey on repeat. Really, really, good album.

So weird how much I love Englund in Evergrey and do NOT like him in Redemption. Alder = Redemption. Period.

Hahaha. While I'm not old enough to have seen him in the 80's.... If he would have been around in the 90s during 93x loud and local (man, that was so much fun) I would have been able to see him. Lance King great

So weird. Took me several listens to get into Everygrey and I have NO idea why. I absolutely love that band. And yeah, I can't get into Redemption with Tom singing. Seems like it'd be a good fit in my head. Love the band. Love Tom's singing. Doesn't do anything for me so far with them together.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
@MK9 Curious .... what do you think happens with Iced Earth? One of my all time favorite bands ... doesn't matter if we're talking about Matt Barlow, Ripper, or Stu singing... it's all great. But then Schaffer had to partake in 1/6. No way iced earth continues, no? What a shame

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
@MK9 Curious .... what do you think happens with Iced Earth? One of my all time favorite bands ... doesn't matter if we're talking about Matt Barlow, Ripper, or Stu singing... it's all great. But then Schaffer had to partake in 1/6. No way iced earth continues, no? What a shame
Dunno. Another band, for whatever reason I don't deep dive into. I listened to a couple albums a lot a few years back, and then...just didn't keep up on their stuff. Not sure why. Think it was the 2 Something Wicked discs that I had.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
So weird. Took me several listens to get into Everygrey and I have NO idea why. I absolutely love that band. And yeah, I can't get into Redemption with Tom singing. Seems like it'd be a good fit in my head. Love the band. Love Tom's singing. Doesn't do anything for me so far with them together.
In regards to Evergrey, their album "In Search Of Truth" was what got me hooked. Concept album about alien abductions, insanely good. Also "the inner circle" is almost as good. Another concept album about a religious cult. Both albums are things to be listened to from start to finish to appreciate.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
In regards to Evergrey, their album "In Search Of Truth" was what got me hooked. Concept album about alien abductions, insanely good. Also "the inner circle" is almost as good. Another concept album about a religious cult. Both albums are things to be listened to from start to finish to appreciate.
Will be doing a shitload of driving to and from the cabin build site this summer. So I'll have a lot of windshield time. I'll have to give those early albums a listen. Think I've avoided the very early stuff because that was what I hadn't been able to get into at the time. Tastes evolve though and sometimes I'm in a weird mood so what sounds meh one day, sounds unreal a week later, lol. I'm a moody bastard. No excuses.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I'm guessing if you're into the concept albums, you like a lot of Arjen Lucassons stuff? Ayreon and Star one?

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

One of my favorite songs from the alien abduction album. There's a better one, but the payoff is in listening to the entire album. Very Whitley Strieber (minus butt stuff). Album is so good.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Very, very much wish he was still singing with Kamelot, but that he is at least singing at all is awesome. Not sure they'll ever tour the states, but Roy Khan's voice is about as close to perfect as I think you can get.

• Love

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

One of my favorite songs from the alien abduction album. There's a better one, but the payoff is in listening to the entire album. Very Whitley Strieber (minus butt stuff). Album is so good.

200.gif

Is that some correlation with the alien thing then? Probes and all?

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Very, very much wish he was still singing with Kamelot, but that he is at least singing at all is awesome. Not sure they'll ever tour the states, but Roy Khan's voice is about as close to perfect as I think you can get.

We're on a similar wavelength right now. I was just lamenting on my favorite metal review site, angrymetalguy.com, about this. I realize Youngblood sounds a lot like Khan and Youngbloodis a fantastic singer in his own right. But Kamelot is not Kamelot without Roy Khan I can't get into any of their albums without Khan in the slightest.

View attachment 677340

Is that some correlation with the alien thing then? Probes and all?
Yes. The album is pretty much their version of Strieber's experience. No probes though, outside of vague mention about taking his dignity

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Actually haven't heard of him or them. What's it about?
Man, not even sure I get go into enough detail in a short post. Every album he does is a concept album. And he gets singers and players from everywhere to play parts on his stuff. James LaBrie from Dream Theater. Devin Townsend. Damian Wilson from Threshold. Like everyone you could imagine in the prog/power/symphonic metal world. They each play parts on the albums.

Probably just going to copy a link that'll explain it better. Not sure I can do justice explaining any of them. They're all scifi / fantasy based themes.

This is the album I got into them on:

The singers:

Vocalists​

Story:

Through technological advancement, 'Forever', a race of aquatic beings living on Planet Y, have found the secret of longevity. They have advanced to the point that they have become completely dependent on machines and are losing their emotions. A passing comet on a collision course with Planet Earth provides the opportunity to revitalize their race. 'Forever' harness the comet to carry their DNA to a new home on Earth. When the comet and Earth collide, the cataclysmic impact exterminates the dinosaurs (The Fifth Extinction), but from the ashes of destruction, humans arise. At first, the experiment seems successful: through the humans, ‘Forever’ vicariously relive the emotions they experienced before the age of machines. In order to help mankind overcome their physical ailments and mental limitations, the 'Forever' speed up human evolution. But the result is tragic: people develop a similar technological dependency with their emotions waning just like 'Forever' and moral development not keeping pace with their capacity to invent. 'Forever' attempt to save mankind from its imminent self-destruction, but ultimately fail at this goal, and humanity dies in cataclysmic nuclear fire. The one remaining human on Mars reincarnates into the new Migrator Soul through the Dream Sequencer, ultimately completing the circle and breathing new life into Forever's emotions.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Man, not even sure I get go into enough detail in a short post. Every album he does is a concept album. And he gets singers and players from everywhere to play parts on his stuff. James LaBrie from Dream Theater. Devin Townsend. Damian Wilson from Threshold. Like everyone you could imagine in the prog/power/symphonic metal world. They each play parts on the albums.

Probably just going to copy a link that'll explain it better. Not sure I can do justice explaining any of them. They're all scifi / fantasy based themes.

This is the album I got into them on:

The singers:

Vocalists​

Story:

Through technological advancement, 'Forever', a race of aquatic beings living on Planet Y, have found the secret of longevity. They have advanced to the point that they have become completely dependent on machines and are losing their emotions. A passing comet on a collision course with Planet Earth provides the opportunity to revitalize their race. 'Forever' harness the comet to carry their DNA to a new home on Earth. When the comet and Earth collide, the cataclysmic impact exterminates the dinosaurs (The Fifth Extinction), but from the ashes of destruction, humans arise. At first, the experiment seems successful: through the humans, ‘Forever’ vicariously relive the emotions they experienced before the age of machines. In order to help mankind overcome their physical ailments and mental limitations, the 'Forever' speed up human evolution. But the result is tragic: people develop a similar technological dependency with their emotions waning just like 'Forever' and moral development not keeping pace with their capacity to invent. 'Forever' attempt to save mankind from its imminent self-destruction, but ultimately fail at this goal, and humanity dies in cataclysmic nuclear fire. The one remaining human on Mars reincarnates into the new Migrator Soul through the Dream Sequencer, ultimately completing the circle and breathing new life into Forever's emotions.
Holy shit. Thats an insane vocalist guest list for one album. Downloading now

Reactions: MK9

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
We're on a similar wavelength right now. I was just lamenting on my favorite metal review site, angrymetalguy.com, about this. I realize Youngblood sounds a lot like Khan and Youngbloodis a fantastic singer in his own right. But Kamelot is not Kamelot without Roy Khan I can't get into any of their albums without Khan in the slightest.

Yes. The album is pretty much their version of Strieber's experience. No probes though, outside of vague mention about taking his dignity
Guess I'm not that far gone with it. I still like Tommy Karevik singing for them. I love his other band Seventh Wonder as well. But, Roy isn't coming back. So, as long as he's making new music with his old band Conception, I'll take what I can get. There isn't anything they've put out since they got back together I haven't liked.

Holy shit. Thats an insane vocalist guest list for one album. Downloading now
And it's every album he gets more / new singers. The next album, 'The Theory Of Everything' has Christina Scabbia, Tommy Karevik and Marko Hietala on it.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Guess I'm not that far gone with it. I still like Tommy Karevik singing for them. I love his other band Seventh Wonder as well. But, Roy isn't coming back. So, as long as he's making new music with his old band Conception, I'll take what I can get. There isn't anything they've put out since they got back together I haven't liked.

And it's every album he gets more / new singers. The next album, 'The Theory Of Everything' has Christina Scabbia, Tommy Karevik and Marko Hietala on it.
Got my Toms mixed up. Not youngblood, but Karevik as you said. But yeah, none of the albums have stuck since Khan quit.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Got my Toms mixed up. Not youngblood, but Karevik as you said. But yeah, none of the albums have stuck since Khan quit.
Like I say, I still like them a ton with Tommy, but it just isn't quite the same. Just glad I got to see them live before he [Khan] left.

Tell you what I need? Is a new Symphony X album. They're supposedly working on it, but it's taking forever. Another band it took me a bit to get into and then went headlong into their stuff.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Tell you what I need? Is a new Symphony X album. They're supposedly working on it, but it's taking forever. Another band it took me a bit to get into and then went headlong into their ststuff.

If it's similar in quality to Paradise Lost.... hell yeah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad