OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread: Part Deux

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I hate that f***ing app. I like that they have the highest bitrate, so the sound quality is fantastic. The music selection is also great. It's rare I can't find a lot of these smaller Euro hard rock bands I like. But, the POS app occasionally lags out for minutes at a time before it loads up the song/album. I despise the fact that the main page layout is different every effing time you look at it. Annoys me I have to f*** around and search for specific sections (New Releases, etc.). Especially when I'm trying to drive. It drives me nuts that you'll be on an album page or playlist page and can't get back to the home page or your library page. Click down on that page while in there? Exits out of the app to your phones home screen. It is comically unintuitive.

I don't know how they'd accomplish this, but I also really, REALLY wish there were a way to filter out bands that have the same name. There seems to be no more copyright/trademark/whatever for band or artist names. Half the bands I follow, there is some turd level homebrew DJ or pop band with the same name that has uploaded their garbage and I have to sift through the inane crap they put out in the world.
Man.... we have very very different reasons to hate it. But I love the hate. The more that hate and rate as such... Maybe they revert back to the way it was. It used to be the best (for people that want to listen to specific stuff).

Reactions: MK9

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I hate that f***ing app. I like that they have the highest bitrate, so the sound quality is fantastic. The music selection is also great. It's rare I can't find a lot of these smaller Euro hard rock bands I like. But, the POS app occasionally lags out for minutes at a time before it loads up the song/album. I despise the fact that the main page layout is different every effing time you look at it. Annoys me I have to f*** around and search for specific sections (New Releases, etc.). Especially when I'm trying to drive. It drives me nuts that you'll be on an album page or playlist page and can't get back to the home page or your library page. Click down on that page while in there? Exits out of the app to your phones home screen. It is comically unintuitive.

I don't know how they'd accomplish this, but I also really, REALLY wish there were a way to filter out bands that have the same name. There seems to be no more copyright/trademark/whatever for band or artist names. Half the bands I follow, there is some turd level homebrew DJ or crappop band with the same name that has uploaded their garbage and I have to sift through the inane crap they put out in the world.

So I take it you're not a fan of tik toc?

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
So I take it you're not a fan of tik toc?
I don't and haven't ever had the app. My knothead friends will occasionally forget I don't have it and link some dopey video. So, they go find the YT (conversion? Whatever...however they cross platformed it) and share it that way. Everything I've seen off there, the people look like absolute oxygen thieves. So, can't say it really piqued my interest, no.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't and haven't ever had the app. My knothead friends will occasionally forget I don't have it and link some dopey video. So, they go find the YT (conversion? Whatever...however they cross platformed it) and share it that way. Everything I've seen off there, the people look like absolute oxygen thieves. So, can't say it really piqued my interest, no.

Well at least you have friends, so you're 1 up on me.

I wouldn't know what tic tok was about if wife and kid didn't talk about it. I don't think I have the app on my phone. I'd check and see, but then I'd have to find my phone, charge it, and look though it; that just seems like a lot of work.

When I say find it I mean I haven't seen it since early December when I made a b-day call to my dad. It doesn't leave the house unless I'm on an out of state trip somewhere. If someone needs to get ahold of me I just use my secretary's number (yep, the wife) and she does all the screening for me. It makes her mad and saves me time, so it's win-win for me.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Well at least you have friends, so you're 1 up on me.

I wouldn't know what tic tok was about if wife and kid didn't talk about it. I don't think I have the app on my phone. I'd check and see, but then I'd have to find my phone, charge it, and look though it; that just seems like a lot of work.

When I say find it I mean I haven't seen it since early December when I made a b-day call to my dad. It doesn't leave the house unless I'm on an out of state trip somewhere. If someone needs to get ahold of me I just use my secretary's number (yep, the wife) and she does all the screening for me. It makes her mad and saves me time, so it's win-win for me.
I feel like people never pay attention to the instructor when he gives you the 'How to be a good husband.' rules before you get married. I don't get it. I mean, not only is it fun, it is your duty to make her so.

Reactions: Wabit

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm just going to keep posting Jeff Beck stuff till I get banned...he was such a badass... reputed to be the inspiration for Nigel Tufnel.

Last edited:
  • Love

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm just going to keep posting Jeff Beck stuff till I get banned...he was such a badass... reputed to be the inspiration for Nigel Tufnel.

The tone was just so good. I won't say that I find anything technically amazing with him (says a guy with stumpy sausage fingers who can't play guitar) but the tone and the overall sound.... very good.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

And by all accounts I've heard, he didn't take shit from anyone. He did things however he wanted to. But, did so without being an a-hole to people. Lot of guys on one of the guitar forums I'm on had met him. Said he was a really, really good guy.

The tone was just so good. I won't say that I find anything technically amazing with him (says a guy with stumpy sausage fingers who can't play guitar) but the tone and the overall sound.... very good.
The Seymour Duncan JB (Jeff Beck) pickup which is probably one of the best selling (if not the best) and best sounding pickups ever made. I'd bet 75% or better hard rock albums from the time the pickup was released through the end of the 80's, the guitarist had a Duncan JB in their guitar. I have 2 guitars with them in there myself. Beck never had an endorsement deal with Seymour Duncan, but they designed it together for Becks album 'Blow By Blow'. So, they just named it the 'JB' The influence he had on the guitar world is immeasurable. Definitely a devastating blow to the music world losing him.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, he's considered to be one of the most technically gifted players ever ... he invented techniques, and influenced just about everyone. If anything, I'd say his tone was a bit lacking later on when he was locked into playing a strat through anonymous Marshalls. His trem bar, tone and volume manipulation is second to none...maybe a guy like Roy Buchanan could equal him with his swells, but he didn't use a trem.

I'm not a good player myself, just muddle by, but know quite a few very good ones, who can basically imitate just about anyone out there, given the right equipment and a bit of time. Everyone, but JB... they throw their hands up when they see him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well, he's considered to be one of the most technically gifted players ever ... he invented techniques, and influenced just about everyone. If anything, I'd say his tone was a bit lacking later on when he was locked into playing a strat through anonymous Marshalls. His trem bar, tone and volume manipulation is second to none...maybe a guy like Roy Buchanan could equal him with his swells, but he didn't use a trem.

I'm not a good player myself, just muddle by, but know quite a few very good ones, who can basically imitate just about anyone out there, given the right equipment and a bit of time. Everyone, but JB... they throw their hands up when they see him.

I think it was Rick Beato in one of his recent videos that said you can search for just about any famous guitarist you can think of on YouTube and get thousands of hits of people covering their songs... except Beck. Literally inimitable.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it was Rick Beato in one of his recent videos that said you can search for just about any famous guitarist you can think of on YouTube and get thousands of hits of people covering their songs... except Beck. Literally inimitable.
I first saw him by accident. Went to see the wonderful blues/rock guitarist Rory Gallagher years ago, and found out that he and JB were sharing the ticket. I vaguely knew of JB, and thought he was a cerebral fusion type guy... not really my thing, but ok.

Saw, Rory, and he was great. Thought about leaving as they set up for JB, as we were sitting on an arena floor and someone spilt a beer that soaked part of my pants, and the crowd was getting rowdy. Just as we were discussing this, the lights went out....then, this huge swell of noise came up, followed by a single spot on a guy dressed all in white, with a white scarf on, playing a white guitar, back arched with his strat held upright in a classic rock pose. Thoughts of leaving disappeared. The next 1 1/2 hours were so damn good. He took the trouble to have really good sound, which most concerts didn't have back then, and it helped that there were no vocals to worry about.

He basically blew Gallagher away. I realized when seeing him that was an archetype. A real showman, with a huge talent to match, and unlike some, not afraid to have other great players in his band. Oddly enough, the only player i saw back then with as good of show was John Mclaughlin and his Mahavishnu Concert Orchestra, which was loaded with monster players. McLaughlin wasn't as good of a player, but he was damn good, and the band was insane... and also insanely loud, like Beck.

I don't like saying that any player is "the best", because i think, once you reach a certain level, you just have different styles of artists. Was JB, better than Segovia, Hendrix, Django, Roy Buchanan, Charlie Christian? No, they were better at what they were good at. I will say that JB was at the very top of the mountain, though... the Connor McDavid of guitarists?

And this is why he didn't sing...

way ahead of his time....there's psychedelia, for sure, but also early metal sounds in the middle

this was a good band, but couldn't get along.

Last edited:
Reactions: MK9 and Bazeek

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Interesting, will have do some research

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
His collabs were interesting...

Stevie wonder wrote "Superstition" for him, then took it back, and had a monster hit...

Wonder made up for it by writing this song and giving it to Beck....maybe not a huge hit in the eyes of the general public, but highly regarded, and stands the test of time...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know there are a lot of Metal fans here. Ozzy is still considered Metal, still, isn't he? He released this just last year, Parkinson's and all. You know who plays guitar on this track. solo at 3:45, though he is riffing throughout.

Though he made his reputation with other music. JB loved Rockabilly growing up. Here's him with former Minneapolis resident, Brian Setzer, a true master of the genre. Not many people can hang with Beck on stage, but he did great.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
@MK9 ok... you might be right, the new in flames album might be the best thing they've put out in years. Still seems a little too overproduced and I don't particularly care for the poppy chorus.... but I like most of what I'm hearing

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
@MK9 ok... you might be right, the new in flames album might be the best thing they've put out in years. Still seems a little too overproduced and I don't particularly care for the poppy chorus.... but I like most of what I'm hearing

Ooh. Totally forgot the full album got released today. Yeah, I haven't heard anything I haven't really, really liked off it so far.

Still think these are the best 2 songs I've heard of it so far:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The great Burt Bacharach died on Wednesday. He dominated music in the 60’s, albeit in the. “pop” or easy listening realm. He was a musical genius. Here is one of his early songs, which was quite raw compared his efforts even a bit later

Definitely one of the all time great American songwriters

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
The great Burt Bacharach died on Wednesday. He dominated music in the 60’s, albeit in the. “pop” or easy listening realm. He was a musical genius. Here is one of his early songs, which was quite raw compared his efforts even a bit later

Definitely one of the all time great American songwriters

Aw man, I didnt hear that. That sucks.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bacharach and his most frequent collaborator, Dionne Warwick, running through a medley of some of their hits;

an absolutely smoking version sung by Dusty Springfield that was on an early Bond film.

His music was very romantic, and increasingly orchestral. Old fashioned, even for it's time, but eventually, like all great art, timeless.
This song was also on the sound track of a very popular film in the 60's.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I was watching Sethdrums while working the other day (side note...if you're looking for something to watch or listen to while working I highly suggest Sethdrums. It's probably the most wholesome channel on twitch. Just a dude that plays drums to chat suggestions. It's a lot of fun) and he played drums to this legend. Fun fact ... same dude that did the "your boyfriends a bitch" song.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Dig the heck out of this band. Its probably not everyone's cup 'o tea, especially this particular track (its a bit odd) But I find it really fun, especially the horn at the end. Great prog.

Edit. I've said it in previous jukebox posts for different artists, but I'll say it again. Holy shit do I hate that guitar style without the tuning nobs at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad