OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread: Part Deux

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I think one of the few things I enjoy more and more as I become an old f*** is that I like and appreciate genres of music that my younger death metal self never did. Discovered how much I liked hip hop several years ago and have now figured out that emo is amazing. Sure... The lyrics are insanely corny and there is hardly anything to rave about with the technical aspects of the band or singer... But the energy and feeling are great.

An aside, and I'm really showing my age, anybody here that was active in the local scene (think 93x loud and local circa 2000ish) back in the day? That was so much fun.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I only recently got into Dillinger Escape Plan and have been kicking myself hard for not having done so before they broke up. But, getting into them has also turned me onto Greg Puciato's various side projects; most recently, The Black Queen. Synthwave isn't my usual fare but holy crap this is the catchiest thing I've heard in a long time:

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
H
I only recently got into Dillinger Escape Plan and have been kicking myself hard for not having done so before they broke up. But, getting into them has also turned me onto Greg Puciato's various side projects; most recently, The Black Queen. Synthwave isn't my usual fare but holy crap this is the catchiest thing I've heard in a long time:

Dillinger escape plan has never been my jam... Way to technical (math metal) with oh so little melody. However, your embed track... I dig the hell out of that! Thanks for new music!

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

So nice I had to post twice. I agree, the catchiest song I've heard in ages.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

There are few things I like more in music that watching an insanely talented drummer. Baard kolstad is very good. As a huge Tool fan... I'd put him right up there with Danny Carey

Reactions: guitarhunterdude

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Can't bring up Danny Carey without this though. He is the GOAT

Bass player from the last band I was in is friends with him. They played together for a short time in a band prior to his start with Tool. They stay in touch and every time Danny Comes to town the go out for dinner.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Bass player from the last band I was in is friends with him. They played together for a short time in a band prior to his start with Tool. They stay in touch and every time Danny Comes to town the go out for dinner.
That's awesome. Of the 4 Tool members, Carey seems to be (to me at least) the most down to earth regular dude.

(Edit) the most down to earth regular dude with INSANE percussive abilities.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Several former members (Mikael Stanne, Jesper Stromblad, Peter Iwers, Niclas Engelin and Daniel Svensson) of In Flames have put together a band:

As a huge Dark Tranquility fan it seems odd that Stanne would start a new band that .... sounds an awful lot like Dark Tranquility. That said, this single sounds great. I wasn't tracking this.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As a huge Dark Tranquility fan it seems odd that Stanne would start a new band that .... sounds an awful lot like Dark Tranquility. That said, this single sounds great. I wasn't tracking this.
The riff on the verse sounds more In Flames than anything In Flames has done in about a decade, but the chorus could've come off a Dark Tranquility album. Don't think anyone's going to accuse melodeath of being innovative, but I particularly don't care.

Reactions: MK9

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
The riff on the verse sounds more In Flames than anything In Flames has done in about a decade, but the chorus could've come off a Dark Tranquility album. Don't think anyone's going to accuse melodeath of being innovative, but I particularly don't care.
Yeah ... I don't disagree with you. It's probably just Stanne's raspy growls that does it for me. Could hear a half second of them and I'd instantly think... DT. And I agree, I don't care either. The single sounds good!

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
My all time favorite singer.

Been a fan of Fates Warning since around '86. I got into them just before they dismissed John Arch. I like Arch, but I like Ray much better. Finally got to see them open for Queensryche a few years ago. Was a bit of a "dream" show for me, as I LOVE both bands. I've seen QR 11 times, but this was a first for Fates. They did not disappoint. Fantastic show.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I'm not sure it's ever going to get off the ground, but this is another project from Krimh the drummer form Septicflesh / Decapitated had going on. They were looking for a bass player and singer. Been almost 2 years and I haven't heard a word since they dropped this playthrough track and another. So, so f'ing good though.

Reactions: Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not sure it's ever going to get off the ground, but this is another project from Krimh the drummer form Septicflesh / Decapitated had going on. They were looking for a bass player and singer. Been almost 2 years and I haven't heard a word since they dropped this playthrough track and another. So, so f'ing good though.

Second one reminds me of Annihilation of the Wicked, which makes it relevant to my interests.

I tend to come and go on metal, but stuff like this sinks the hook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad