OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread: Part Deux

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Still bummed these guys called it quits a few months ago, amazing prog rock if you haven't ever checked them out. They started as a depressive death/doom band back in the early 90's, so if that's not your cup o'tea, just skip the first few albums. Weather Systems and Distant Satellites are, IMO, the best. Hopefully when Covid is no longer a thing and bands can tour again they rethink their decision and get back together.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

I'm so pumped for this release. Silver Lake by Esa Holopainen. He's the guitarist for Amorphis and is releasing this solo project in May and each song will feature guest vocalists to include Jonas Renske (Katatonia), Einar Solberg (Leprous) Tomi Joutsen (Amorphis), Bjorn Strid (Soilwork / Night Flight Orchestra), and Anneke Van Giersbergen ( a bunch of stuff). I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with the singer on this video (Hakan Hemlin of Nordman) but I'm digging it. Expecting even better things from everyone esle, especially Jonas Renske.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
It's occurred to me that many probably don't recognize any of the names/bands listed above since there's no way they get mainstream play anywhere in the U.S. They are excellent, excellent bands and if you are interested at all in rock/metal, you should check them all out.

Here's a sample of Katatonia. They started as a death/doom band, but have evolved into this. From Sweden.

Here is Leprous. Singer takes a little bit of time to get used to, but once it clicks ... it clicks. He has amazing range. The real star though is the drummer, Baard Kolstad, he is a beast. From Norway.

Night Flight Orchestra is a super group with a bunch of bands. Singer is from Soilwork, which is a melo-death band. However this band plays, I don't know, modern day classic rock sounding songs? Not entirely sure how to describe it, but it's very good. Also from Sweden.

Reactions: MK9

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Finally, Amorphis. I feel like I've linked this video before but doing it again just in case. Awesome Finnish band. A lot of their music, to include the below song, are based on tales from the Kalevala which is some sort of national epic / poetry that our Finnish friends of the board could probably explain better than I could.

In any case, if you like rock/metal, check them all out. You won't be disappointed.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
It's occurred to me that many probably don't recognize any of the names/bands listed above since there's no way they get mainstream play anywhere in the U.S. They are excellent, excellent bands and if you are interested at all in rock/metal, you should check them all out.

Here's a sample of Katatonia. They started as a death/doom band, but have evolved into this. From Sweden.

Been a fan of these guys for several years now. I like the early stuff, but I got started on them around the Viva Emptiness disc. And if you've not seen it, the live "acoustic" concert Sanctitude is absolutely fantastic.

For the people here that haven't heard them, which is likely almost everyone on this subforum, they have little a bit of a chill Tool vibe at times.

Still bummed these guys called it quits a few months ago, amazing prog rock if you haven't ever checked them out. They started as a depressive death/doom band back in the early 90's, so if that's not your cup o'tea, just skip the first few albums. Weather Systems and Distant Satellites are, IMO, the best. Hopefully when Covid is no longer a thing and bands can tour again they rethink their decision and get back together.

I hadn't heard that. Very disappointing. The only thing I've kind of realized and grew to dislike a bit about them is their songs tend to get pretty repetitive vocally.

Hands down, one of the most emotive, powerful, moving vocalists I've ever heard. Recordings or live, the singer for these guys (Roy Khan) is phenomenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Oh man, I wasn't aware Khan got back into music. He was phenomenal in Kamelot (their new singer is no slouch either, but it just doesn't feel right without Khan) and I'm liking this new band.

Reactions: MK9

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Oh man, I wasn't aware Khan got back into music. He was phenomenal in Kamelot (their new singer is no slouch either, but it just doesn't feel right without Khan) and I'm liking this new band.

Yeah, I was pretty wrecked when he quit and went home. And I agree. Tommy Karevik is an amazing singer as well, but...yeah, he's not Roy. I got to see Kamelot live with both. Seventh Wonder (the band Tommy came from and still works with occasionally) is awesome as well. But, yeah Roy said he just got burnt out. Kamelot basically never stops. Write, record, release, tour. But, Conception is the band he was with prior to Kamelot. And their earlier stuff is great as well.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I've had this pop up on my playlist while driving. Tends to add a little weight to the foot on the gas pedal.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
That's an interesting song, a bit of country and a bit of?(edit sounds like a bit like the offspring) I'm not sure I like it, but like it enough to explore more. Thanks.

It's a bit different than a lot of his other stuff but I absolutely love it. He actually made an 'anime' that's on Netflix for the CD...about ~30 minutes and it just plays the songs over animated short videos. It's really good. He just came out with two CD's/albums that are basically acoustic covers of all of his previous songs...he's so talented. I would call myself a country fan but he's such a nice alternative to specifically the pop country stuff. I don't really 'hate' much when it comes to music but you can tell when some people actually have a ton of talent...Sturgill, Tyler Childers and Stapleton all are the best at what they do.

Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota

Old but gold, had this album pretty much on repeat since Monday morning. Might just have to pick up the guitar and try to relearn Harvest and Dirge for November...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad