RDS: (<-- the website) Mathieu Darche officially claim Subban should be the next Captain

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
i think the next captain should be plecs, even if markov is resigned. both markov and gorges as assistants.

once one of those three move on, then i'm ok with subban taking on an "A" on his jersey.

down the line, with further maturity and refinement, i'm all for subban for being named the captain. it's just too early in his career to be given this honor.

while he has the drive, passion and skill, he still lacks the authority, self-control and respect.

things like: embellishment, losing his cool and taking dumb penalties, cheapshots etc. he has to focus himself. rid himself of those foolish distractions to his overall game.

i recall recently, subban yapping up the philly bench prior to a faceoff. markov came by and nudged him away without saying a word or changing his facial expression (i.e. that russian serious look). i thought that was so telling of the different level of focus between the two.

i love subban. i want him to be a hab for his whole career. he's a very special player, person, and character. i look forward to seeing him mature and become the ultimate teammate.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
man you argue stupid today

really, cause I think being "electric" isnt a reason to give the C to someone ?

how about LEADERSHIP qualities Einstein ? care to think and come up with what constitute leadership ? (whatever the field) ?

and huh, it was rhetoric, dont bother, you can't see beyond a guy flashyness and FAN popularity.

PricePkPatch*

really, cause I think being "electric" isnt a reason to give the C to someone ?

how about LEADERSHIP qualities Einstein ? care to think and come up with what constitute leadership ? (whatever the field) ?

and huh, it was rhetoric, dont bother, you can't see beyond a guy flashyness and FAN popularity.

Yes, because being electric and leading by example is not a sign of leadership?

Subban walks the talk. Why are you so ******* offended at the idea of Subban being Captain material?

Subban is always the last to leave the ice. He makes sure he congratulates every teammates after a win. He's playful and easygoing out of the ice. He do his best, listens to the coach and always say the right things in public. He downplay controversies, and is always the first to talk good about his teammates.

Man, he's such a ****ing selfish loser, AMIRITE ECWHSWI?!?!

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, because being electric and leading by example is not a sign of leadership?

Subban walks the talk. Why are you so ******* offended at the idea of Subban being Captain material?

Subban is always the last to leave the ice. He makes sure he congratulates every teammates after a win. He's playful and easygoing out of the ice. He do his best, listens to the coach and always say the right things in public. He downplay controversies, and is always the first to talk good about his teammates.

Man, he's such a ****ing selfish loser, AMIRITE ECWHSWI?!?!

guess I'm not the one arguing stupid today.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So you are clearly out of arguments and can't even come up with something to say in answer to me?

It's all right. I accept your forfeit.

:laugh:

what do you want me to say, talent aside, you pretty much described Darche in your last reply... maybe he should have been captain too :help:

I know it's hard to get, but it's a possibility that your little darling doesnt have what it takes to "control the room" you know...

I know he's a god to you or something, but he may not be for his teammates, who are the ones he'd be leading, making speeches to, etc if he was a C...

but yeah, he's good and exuberant.

PricePkPatch*

:laugh:

what do you want me to say, talent aside, you pretty much described Darche in your last reply... maybe he should have been captain too :help:

I know it's hard to get, but it's a possibility that your little darling doesnt have what it takes to "control the room" you know...

I know he's a god to you or something, but he may not be for his teammates, who are the ones he'd be leading, making speeches to, etc if he was a C...

but yeah, he's good and exuberant.

And pray tell me how do you know better that Markov, Gorges or Plekanec would be?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well, Potvin, Lidstrom, Yzerman and Gainey really played on stacked teams. When there's a lot of leadership and talent in a room, who has the C doesn't really matter too much. People with leadership take charge and things happen.

Counter example to your examples, Messier.

Messier has a complete different personality than Subban. Messier is the one telling to the players to get in line, Subban is the one getting out of line.

Last edited:

PricePkPatch*

that's the thing... I'm not spending my time here pretending to know stuff I dont...

Exactly. Hence why you can't disprove the suggestion advanced by Darche, who actually KNOWS, that Subban would make a great captain.

Now, based on what we CAN experience, Subban would make a much better captain, on the long run, than Plek, Markov or Gorges.

So stuff we don't know (which we only have Darche's opinion) points out to Subban being a good captain

Stuff we do know points out to Subban being a good captain.

You have anything else to add?

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Hal Gill would have been a cute captain IMO
Id be really happy if one of Subban or Markov get the C, my second choice is Plekanec

I wouldnt like Gorges to get the C TBH

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Exactly. Hence why you can't disprove the suggestion advanced by Darche, who actually KNOWS, that Subban would make a great captain.

Now, based on what we CAN experience, Subban would make a much better captain, on the long run, than Plek, Markov or Gorges.

So stuff we don't know (which we only have Darche's opinion) points out to Subban being a good captain

Stuff we do know points out to Subban being a good captain.

You have anything else to add?

I suggest you re-read your initial post. Darche is pretty much saying PK would bee a good C cause he have tons o heart, from an "insider" perspective the guy cant even bring up how the kid is liked in the locker room, if he has "allies", if he shows "intangibles" and what not...

no, instead, it's about how big of a heart PK has and how it would help PK to have a C (hey Mat, what about helping the TEAM you wanna be insider)...

if that's all Darche has to say on the matter he clearly didnt kiss enough ass as there's nothing of substance in his comments...

I mean, you needed Darche to tell you PK is a hard worker, you're too ****ing dumb to see it yourself ? (seriously, are you?)

PricePkPatch*

Felt this thread might have needed a relevant bump, with all the talks of "Subban 4 Captain" :P

highstick14*

Subban is the best player on this team, and the best defenseman in the league. He will be the next Captain, and he will probably be the best Captain in Habs history.

PricePkPatch*

Subban is the best player on this team, and the best defenseman in the league. He will be the next Captain, and he will probably be the best Captain in Habs history.

Let's not get fanboyish..

I want him to be our next Captain
I believe he will be the best Captain we've had in the past 20 years

And if he manage to bring at least 2 cups to Montreal, he'll have his jersey retired.

It's just impossible to say whether or not he will be compared to the Greats of the past.

highstick14*

They should make Darche the next assistant coach, and hopefully the next head coach to replace Therrien.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They should make Darche the next assistant coach, and hopefully the next head coach to replace Therrien.

No thanks. All the NHL.com videos featuring him paint him as a 40 year old man still trying to be 20.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I agree with Darche, I think it would make PK even more accountable, he'd thrive in the position imo. There's no amount of pressure that will crush PK Subban, the guy is exactly what we need.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Subban is great no doubt but Drew Doughty is the best D in the league. Subban is not far behind but Drew is simply a cut above

MDN

Jun 6, 2013
Montreal
Subban should be the captain, and will without a doubt make a great captain. But the greatest in Habs history is a bit much man. Richard, and Beliveau are in that spectrum of greatest of all time, we just have to wait and see.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Let's not get out of control folks!

With great captaincy comes great responsibility..

Ok I just wanted to say that cause it sounded right. But really with being Captain does come added responsibility. A mature player like Plekanecs or Markov would handle this well. PK I would rather just focus on playing amazing hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad