RDS: (<-- the website) Mathieu Darche officially claim Subban should be the next Captain

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Not now. That's just asking for trouble. Let him mature a bit.

I guess Gorges will get the C, and I don't mind. I'd prefer Plekanec or Markov, but I'm pretty sure Gorges is more of a leader in the room than those two, who are known to be introverts.

The only one who might have a chance is Prust, but the further he'll get is with an A.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
As someone pointed out, the captain has to be a leader on the ice. When the team is going nowhere, sometimes your captain has to get on the ice and wake up the boys. Big hit, big goal, big shift.

Gio can't do that anymore, he can't change the outcome of the game. Only Price & Subban can. Giving him the C will fast track him to maturity.

If you look at the best teams in the nhl, the captains can knead both on & off ice.

Gorges, Plek & Markov are all good players in own respect but do not have game breAking qualities.

JurequeparJuraj

Feb 20, 2013
by the sea
Think about the last few cup winners... their captains played INTERGRAL roles in their teams success. They were always one of, if not the best player on their respective teams.

Toews, Dustin Brown, Chara, Toews, Crosby, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, Brind'amour

Gorges will never be the first to raise the stanley cup. Neither will markov, nor will plekanec (as amazing of a player he is). Subban is the only guy who can be compared to those listed above in terms of difference makers on the ice (Yes Brown was ELITE during that playoff run in his own right).

Subban is the only player I can see raising that cup first on this team. He should be given the captaincy as soon as next season, like darche said, it'll help him mature even more. Who cares about the added pressure... he's already got more pressure on him than fkn carey price. He not only welcomes it, but thrives on it. The more attention this guy gets, the better he is. The more important the game is, the more he steps up.

This guy is meant to lead a team through his passion for winning and his skill. Don't expect any stanley cups before he has the C. He is the only player capable of leading this team to the cup.

I agree.

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Think about the last few cup winners... their captains played INTERGRAL roles in their teams success. They were always one of, if not the best player on their respective teams.

Toews, Dustin Brown, Chara, Toews, Crosby, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, Brind'amour

Gorges will never be the first to raise the stanley cup. Neither will markov, nor will plekanec (as amazing of a player he is). Subban is the only guy who can be compared to those listed above in terms of difference makers on the ice (Yes Brown was ELITE during that playoff run in his own right).

Subban is the only player I can see raising that cup first on this team. He should be given the captaincy as soon as next season, like darche said, it'll help him mature even more. Who cares about the added pressure... he's already got more pressure on him than fkn carey price. He not only welcomes it, but thrives on it. The more attention this guy gets, the better he is. The more important the game is, the more he steps up.

This guy is meant to lead a team through his passion for winning and his skill. Don't expect any stanley cups before he has the C. He is the only player capable of leading this team to the cup.

Completely agree, he's a game changer and with the way his maturity has progressed in the previous years i wouldn't be worried.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
I don't know if we named him captain, Therrien/Bergevin may dislocate their shoulder(s) patting themselves on the back for developing his leadership skills.

PricePkPatch*

I don't know if we named him captain, Therrien/Bergevin may dislocate their shoulder(s) patting themselves on the back for developing his leadership skills.

I don't care how much they pat themselves on the back, as long as they end up with the right decisions.

Subban as captain would leave a legacy to our club that will most likely outlast Therrien, and maybe even outlast Bergevin.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
To be a leader you need people to follow, PK's no leader still to immature, maybe he will grow into a team first guy eventually but he not there now.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Because he's the hero the habs deserve, but not the one they need right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Got some inside sources there?

A leader would not do what he did last night, a leader would have raced down the ice and congratulated Price for winning the game for the team. Yes I know he did that after the fact, but in the heat of the moment it was all about PK. Like I said maybe some day, but he's a ways from that yet.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Subban has all of the tools to be Captain. They made Crosby captain at 19. Subban could be the next captain. I can see that

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A leader would not do what he did last night, a leader would have raced down the ice and congratulated Price for winning the game for the team. Yes I know he did that after the fact, but in the heat of the moment it was all about PK. Like I said maybe some day, but he's a ways from that yet.

Oh my god, he celebrated! Ovechkin is ten times worse! He showed emotion! Why is this an issue?

Apr 28, 2010
I would bet money Gionta will still be the captain IF he gets resigned. But it's really time to move on, buddy.

Plekanec gets my vote to be the next captain. Markov/Gorges with the A's.

Subban would look good with the C, I have to admit. But it's hard to ignore Pleks. He's been here for so long.

OnlytheCH

HockeyTimes
Jun 16, 2013
Canada
To everyone on here who actually thinks Tomas Plekanec will be Captain of the Montreal Canadiens I laugh at you. There are only 2 players on this club who are the face of the CH, one is Price, the other is Subban. Give the "C" to the guy who makes a difference on the ice game in and game out, P.K for Cap.

OnlytheCH

HockeyTimes
Jun 16, 2013
Canada

Buddy were you at the game? When you score the OT winner in Ottawa and there are 300 Habs fans pressed up against the glass going completely insane for P.K, he embraced the moment, nothing wrong with what he did, he is the best player we have and giving him the "C" will only do him good.

Apr 28, 2010
To everyone on here who actually thinks Tomas Plekanec will be Captain of the Montreal Canadiens I laugh at you. There are only 2 players on this club who are the face of the CH, one is Price, the other is Subban. Give the "C" to the guy who makes a difference on the ice game in and game out, P.K for Cap.

You're only one person. We don't really care if you're laughing at us, lol.

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
If Gionta leaves, I'd like to see Plekanec (C), Markov (A), Subban (A)....but I realize taking the A away from Gorges wouldn't happen.

Danleri

Dec 5, 2012
Not ready to give him the C until he starts yelling "LETS GO BOYS COMMON BOYS LETS GO!!!!" between periods, that's leadership right there.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad