RDS: (<-- the website) Mathieu Darche officially claim Subban should be the next Captain

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Fans literaly have no objectivity.

Pick the most emotional player to be your captain: CHECK

It's more than that. I don't think you are being very objective. Subban should be a candidate just as much as pleks.

Forget markov... he'll never be a captain because he would never want it. Pleks doesn't seem like the type who would want the captaincy, but that's just my opinion. He really does have certain leadership qualities, but he isn't a game changer on the ice.

He would be a Jason Smith type of captain. I find that most, if not all the last stanley cup winning captains were not just solid vets with leadership qualities, but game changers on the ice... faces of the franchise... guys who actually step up in big games on the ice.

The only one who has proved to do that consistently is PK Subban. He just seems meant for greatness. Him celebrating that OT winner was not because HE scored the winner... he was celebrating like that because the TEAM stole a game. He raced to his teammates on the bench.

He's not more selfish than other superstars... he just seems like it because we havn't had a superstar in so many years we forgot that they carry games... put the onus on themselves every now and then to score for their team. That is the type of leadership that wins cups. Not silent vet types who are just solid.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's more than that. I don't think you are being very objective. Subban should be a candidate just as much as pleks.

Forget markov... he'll never be a captain because he would never want it. Pleks doesn't seem like the type who would want the captaincy, but that's just my opinion. He really does have certain leadership qualities, but he isn't a game changer on the ice.

He would be a Jason Smith type of captain. I find that most, if not all the last stanley cup winning captains were not just solid vets with leadership qualities, but game changers on the ice... faces of the franchise... guys who actually step up in big games on the ice.

The only one who has proved to do that consistently is PK Subban. He just seems meant for greatness. Him celebrating that OT winner was not because HE scored the winner... he was celebrating like that because the TEAM stole a game. He raced to his teammates on the bench.

He's not more selfish than other superstars... he just seems like it because we havn't had a superstar in so many years we forgot that they carry games... put the onus on themselves every now and then to score for their team. That is the type of leadership that wins cups. Not silent vet types who are just solid.

why ?

I mean, assumptions aside...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Fans literaly have no objectivity.

Pick the most emotional player to be your captain: CHECK

You know what else fans don't have ? A clue.

This one of the worst matter for us to voice our opinion on.

But if Subban would be a former's teammate pick, I sit up and listen. Darche is not stupid. That doesn't mean he's always right but his opinion certainly counts for a lot more than anyone in this thread. I especially liked the part about him saying not to believe in those rumors that PK is not liked in the room that it's horse crap.

The only thing I know as a fan is what I see on the ice. And going from that, I'd auto disqualify Gorges. Gionta always felt like a bandaid captain. I can only see Plekanec and Subban but that's just from what I see on the ice. The way these two take charge.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You know what else fans don't have ? A clue.

This one of the worst matter for us to voice our opinion on.

But if Subban would be a former's teammate pick, I sit up and listen. Darche is not stupid. That doesn't mean he's always right but his opinion certainly counts for a lot more than anyone in this thread. I especially liked the part about him saying not to believe in those rumors that PK is not liked in the room that it's horse crap.

The only thing I know as a fan is what I see on the ice. And going from that, I'd auto disqualify Gorges. Gionta always felt like a bandaid captain. I can only see Plekanec and Subban but that's just from what I see on the ice. The way these two take charge.

while the guy is not stupid, Darche is a well known ass kisser, enough that it makes me wonder if it's a coincidence he's talking that way about (arguably) the most popular Habs player.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
why ?

I mean, assumptions aside...

I know you're trying to be clever with semantics (way to go), but what I'm saying is that if there is pure objectivity, than PK can be considered a candidate just as much as anyone. It's impossible to be objective on HF boards. It's a fan forum. non-opinionated posts are boring and bring nothing to the discussion.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I know you're trying to be clever with semantics (way to go), but what I'm saying is that if there is pure objectivity, than PK can be considered a candidate just as much as anyone. It's impossible to be objective on HF boards. It's a fan forum. non-opinionated posts are boring and bring nothing to the discussion.

well...

you assume Markov wouldnt be interested
you assume Plekanec wouldnt either
you assume why he celebrated the way he did
you assume he isnt any more selfish than others (not that I think he is, but still)

and huh, the "silent type vets", that sound a lot like Chara (cup winner), Lidstrom (cups winner), Yzerman (cup winner), Potvin (Isles dynasty), Gainey (Habs dynasty)

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
well...

you assume he isnt any more selfish than others (not that I think he is, but still)

and huh, the "silent type vets", that sound a lot like Chara (cup winner), Lidstrom (cups winner), Yzerman (cup winner), Potvin (Isles dynasty), Gainey (Habs dynasty)

Well, Potvin, Lidstrom, Yzerman and Gainey really played on stacked teams. When there's a lot of leadership and talent in a room, who has the C doesn't really matter too much. People with leadership take charge and things happen.

Counter example to your examples, Messier.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well, Potvin, Lidstrom, Yzerman and Gainey really played on stacked teams. When there's a lot of leadership and talent in a room, who has the C doesn't really matter too much. People with leadership take charge and things happen.

Counter example to your examples, Messier.

agreed, and I just named those guys to show the guy I quoted that the "silent type" C can win cups too, contrary to what he (seems to) believe.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
while the guy is not stupid, Darche is a well known ass kisser, enough that it makes me wonder if it's a coincidence he's talking that way about (arguably) the most popular Habs player.

Ao a guy that spent his whole life rotating between the NHL and the AHL is a proven ass kisser?

Martin chose to put him on the PP, it's not Darche himself.. lol

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
well...

I'm not the one saying I'm being objective. Someone else was claiming that he was being objective by trashing those who believe that subban should be captain.

Yes they are all assumptions (most with some form of base). As for the silent type vets... if you look again at that post, I said they have to be MORE than just silent type vets. Chara is the boston bruins, Lidstrom was the most valuable piece to his team, Yzerman was the most valuable piece to his team, Gainey was a ELITE at what he did (selke trophies and so on).

Your examples are just amplifying my points that Stanley Cup champion Captains need to be more than just silent type vets... they need to be difference makers ON THE ICE.

Name some players on this team, or in the near future than can do that for the canadiens? One name comes up... PK Subban

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
agreed, and I just named those guys to show the guy I quoted that the "silent type" C can win cups too, contrary to what he (seems to) believe.

Again... re-read the post. Silent vet types can be great stanley cup winning captains, but they are also more than just vets... they were faces of the franchise. Your examples just prove my points :laugh:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not the one saying I'm being objective. Someone else was claiming that he was being objective by trashing those who believe that subban should be captain.

Yes they are all assumptions (most with some form of base). As for the silent type vets... if you look again at that post, I said they have to be MORE than just silent type vets. Chara is the boston bruins, Lidstrom was the most valuable piece to his team, Yzerman was the most valuable piece to his team, Gainey was a ELITE at what he did (selke trophies and so on).

Your examples are just amplifying my points that Stanley Cup champion Captains need to be more than just silent type vets... they need to be difference makers ON THE ICE.

Name some players on this team, or in the near future than can do that for the canadiens? One name comes up... PK Subban

not to nitpick but... you know they were on the same team right ? ;)

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Again... re-read the post. Silent vet types can be great stanley cup winning captains, but they are also more than just vets... they were faces of the franchise. Your examples just prove my points :laugh:

it doesnt actually, Potvin was one of the faces, not THE face of the franchise, Gainey (although a great one) was a 3rd liners, the face was Lafleur and the big 3, Yzerman while still the face of the franchise was not their best player (at the time they were cup winners), Lidstrom and Datsyuk were...

if anything, it shows there's a wide variety when it comes to "leader types", and the "Subban type" is one among many... as long as it's shown that he can LEAD the Habs players. We can see he has ton of energy and al', but I doubt there's anyone here who can make a serious claim that PK has (or not) enough influence in the locker room to be a good captain.

besides, he doesnt need to be a captain, him being our best D, one of the best in the league and the face of the franchise for fans is more than enough. He'll still be allowed to talk in the dressing room even if he doesnt have a letter.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You know they won cups as captains in different years, right? ;) We talking captaincy here. You're reaching now haha

think you're missing the point, they were both on the same team at the same time...

they won 3 cups together, and one having the C didnt prevent the other from being great you know...

him not being C for 3 of the cups he won didnt prevent Lidstrom from being one of the best D in history.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
it doesnt actually, Potvin was one of the faces, not THE face of the franchise, Gainey (although a great one) was a 3rd liners, the face was Lafleur and the big 3, Yzerman while still the face of the franchise was not their best player (at the time they were cup winners), Lidstrom and Datsyuk were...

if anything, it shows there's a wide variety when it comes to "leader types", and the "Subban type" is one among many... as long as it's shown that he can LEAD the Habs players. We can see he has ton of energy and al', but I doubt there's anyone here who can make a serious claim that PK has (or not) enough influence in the locker room to be a good captain.

besides, he doesnt need to be a captain, him being our best D, one of the best in the league and the face of the franchise for fans is more than enough. He'll still be allowed to talk in the dressing room even if he doesnt have a letter.

We're never going to see eye to eye on this, so I'll explain my point as basic as possible. Who, on this team, deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as all those "not face of the franchise but still elite on the ice" captains? Tomas Plekanec? a very solid vet... Markov? A very solid vet. Pacioretty? A first line sniper... Carey Price? Playing like a superstar but not in a captains position. PK Subban? A legit superstar... one of the best at his positions in the league.

Who on this team steps up in big games like those players you mentioned? The only one I can think of is, again, PK Subban.

That's as general as I can get. You don't have to agree with it, but I'm hard pressed to find another player in the near future on this team that can be compared to all those past stanley cup winning captains

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
think you're missing the point, they were both on the same team at the same time...

they won 3 cups together, and one having the C didnt prevent the other from being great you know...

him not being C for 3 of the cups he won didnt prevent Lidstrom from being one of the best D in history.

I'm not talking about superstardom though... I'm only talking about captaincy. I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore at this point. Of course lidstrom was still elite even not as captain.

Subban would be too, but I don't see another player in the canadiens system that fits the bill more than PK. He doesn't need to be captain to be a superstar, but he seems like the best candidate when compared to the past cup champion captains.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
We're never going to see eye to eye on this, so I'll explain my point as basic as possible. Who, on this team, deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as all those "not face of the franchise but still elite on the ice" captains? Tomas Plekanec? a very solid vet... Markov? A very solid vet. Pacioretty? A first line sniper... Carey Price? Playing like a superstar but not in a captains position. PK Subban? A legit superstar... one of the best at his positions in the league.

Who on this team steps up in big games like those players you mentioned? The only one I can think of is, again, PK Subban.

That's as general as I can get. You don't have to agree with it, but I'm hard pressed to find another player in the near future on this team that can be compared to all those past stanley cup winning captains

you talk about regular season big games for sure, I mean, it's not like we had much success in the PO the last few seasons...

besides, you're clearly bias if you think neither Plekanec and Markov step up in big games...

I mean, didnt Markov score both goals in our win vs Hawks... and when the game was on the line and we were trailing 3-4 vs Sens its Plekanec who tied it at 4 -> and then created the turnover in OT with his smart forecheck

but yeah, neither are as spectacular as P.K...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not talking about superstardom though... I'm only talking about captaincy. I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore at this point. Of course lidstrom was still elite even not as captain.

Subban would be too, but I don't see another player in the canadiens system that fits the bill more than PK. He doesn't need to be captain to be a superstar, but he seems like the best candidate when compared to the past cup champion captains.

the ONLY thing you have so far is PK being the face of the franchise, wich is more of a fan thing... it's not like players will listen to him more cause he sells more jerseys you know.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
you talk about regular season big games for sure, I mean, it's not like we had much success in the PO the last few seasons...

besides, you're clearly bias if you think neither Plekanec and Marov step up in big games...

I mean, didnt Markov score both goals in our win vs Hawks... and when the game was on the line and we were trailing 3-4 vs Sens its Plekanec who tied it at 4 -> and then created the turnover in OT with his smart forecheck

but yeah, neither are as spectacular as P.K...

I'm actually talking about Playoff big games. He was taking on Malkin as a rookie who played 2 or 3 games in the series before and impressed greatly. The next season PK was the best Canadiens player against the Bruins and scored the tieing goal that brought game 7 into OT. He was also the best defenceman on the ice in the Ottawa - Montreal series last season.

Markov doesn't dissapear in the POs, but he doesn't up his level when everyone else does, so he falls behind. I personally find Pleks steps his game up defensively in the POs, but hasn't proven to be a legitimate game changer in the POs. The only player who has proved that consistently throughout his career is PK Subban

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
the ONLY thing you have so far is PK being the face of the franchise, wich is more of a fan thing... it's not like players will listen to him more cause he sells more jerseys you know.

Face of the franchise
Steps up in the POs
Elite in his position
Has an obvious passion for winning
Game breaker

You're not even reading my posts anymore... you're just in defense mode :laugh:. It's ok, we don't have to agree

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mathieu Darche was a 4th liner in the NHL and now is a 4th category seat-filler on RDS. Someone must have told him that to move up the pecking order on l'Antichambre, all he had to do was emit an opinion about PK. Thanks to this non-story about PK's potential captaincy, word is he's been moved one blue seat closer to drunken giggler Stépane Langdeau.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm actually talking about Playoff big games. He was taking on Malkin as a rookie who played 2 or 3 games in the series before and impressed greatly. The next season PK was the best Canadiens player against the Bruins and scored the tieing goal that brought game 7 into OT. He was also the best defenceman on the ice in the Ottawa - Montreal series last season.

Markov doesn't dissapear in the POs, but he doesn't up his level when everyone else does, so he falls behind. I personally find Pleks steps his game up defensively in the POs, but hasn't proven to be a legitimate game changer in the POs. The only player who has proved that consistently throughout his career is PK Subban

again, you're back to PK simply case he's more spectacular than the other two...

example : Plekanec shuts down Crosby in the P.O., completely. Crosby happened to be the best player in the whole league at the time. And you think it's not game changing ? seriously ?

think you need to look at how you analyze things. flashier doesnt means more efficient. There's no correlation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad