RDS: (<-- the website) Mathieu Darche officially claim Subban should be the next Captain

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
again, you're back to PK simply case he's more spectacular than the other two...

example : Plekanec shuts down Crosby in the P.O., completely. Crosby happened to be the best player in the whole league at the time. And you think it's not game changing ? seriously ?

think you need to look at how you analyze things. flashier doesnt means more efficient. There's no correlation.

Agreed. You have every right to say pleks performances in the POs reflect PK Subbans. I'm one of the few who believe that Pleks ups his game in the POs... just not at the same level as PK. Not just for the spectacular aspect (although it plays a role obviously), but for overall dominance of the game.

Instead of nitpicking a part of my post, I'm curious what your answer is to this question. Who on the montreal canadiens roster (or in the pipeline) Can be best compared to the past stanley cup winning champions in terms of on ice play?

If you really believe that Pleks and Markov deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys... than that's where we disagree.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Face of the franchise
Steps up in the POs -> we've won nothing so far with him in the P.O. (not saying it's his fault, just bstating the fact)
Elite in his position -> so were Lafleur, Big Bird, and a TON of other non captain
Has an obvious passion for winning -> that's call being exuberant.
Game breaker

You're not even reading my posts anymore... you're just in defense mode :laugh:. It's ok, we don't have to agree

now simple questions
1. do people listen to him whenever he talks in the dressing room ?
2. does he make decent speeches ?
3. do any of the players who heard the speech feel pumped, more confident, etc after listening to him ?
4. does he have a calming presence ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Agreed. You have every right to say pleks performances in the POs reflect PK Subbans. I'm one of the few who believe that Pleks ups his game in the POs... just not at the same level as PK. Not just for the spectacular aspect (although it plays a role obviously), but for overall dominance of the game.

Instead of nitpicking a part of my post, I'm curious what your answer is to this question. Who on the montreal canadiens roster (or in the pipeline) Can be best compared to the past stanley cup winning champions in terms of on ice play?

If you really believe that Pleks and Markov deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys... than that's where we disagree.

outisde P.K. I'd say Galchenyuk probably... but that still doesnt make them leaders. the may be leaders in term of productivity but that is all, there's more to being a C than putting points on the board... otherwise it would be as simple for every team as giving the C to the guy with most pts...

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
now simple questions

How would we know?

How would we know?

3. do any of the players who heard the speech feel pumped, more confident, etc after listening to him ?

How would we know?

4. does he have a calming presence ?

How would we know?

I would think that if he was given the C, he would be listened to. I think we all know he likes to talk. Now answer my question ;)

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
outisde P.K. I'd say Galchenyuk probably... but that still doesnt make them leaders. the may be leaders in term of productivity but that is all, there's more to being a C than putting points on the board... otherwise it would be as simple for every team as giving the C to the guy with most pts...

PK's game is more than just points. Now you're nitpicking PKs qualities. So where we disagree is that I like to use the past cup winning captains as a template for the habs future captain.

You think it goes to the person who talks the most in the room, or motivates through speeches or what not... which I find kind of funny because you were the one defending the quiet leaders :laugh:.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I would think that if he was given the C, he would be listened to. I think we all know he likes to talk. Now answer my question ;)

ok, lemme get this straight, you awnser to every single question I asked is "I don't know" (I didnt expect otherwise, no one here knows)... but yet you know that the best candidate for C is him ?

seriously ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
PK's game is more than just points. Now you're nitpicking PKs qualities. So where we disagree is that I like to use the past cup winning captains as a template for the habs future captain.

You think it goes to the person who talks the most in the room, or motivates through speeches or what not... which I find kind of funny because you were the one defending the quiet leaders :laugh:.

i'm not defending them, just showing to you (with examples that prove it) that being media savy, exuberant and flashy doesnt automaticaly makes you a leader, there's tons of players who have none of those attributes and they are still great leaders.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
i'm not defending them, just showing to you (with examples that prove it) that being media savy, exuberant and flashy doesnt automaticaly makes you a leader, there's tons of players who have none of those attributes and they are still great leaders.

And if you read my posts, you'd see that the qualities highlighted arn't the reasons why I would give Subban the C. But it's pointless

And by the way I'm not saying there is only one answer for everyone... It's not a universal truth that subban should be captain, but I think he should be. You however, are going all over the map trying to belittle my points for some strange reason. You don't understand my points (or refuse to). At least have some consistency with your arguments.

I don't care that you feel Gorges, Pleks or Markov can be Cup winning captains. I don't see them winning the cup. I only see Subban able to raise that cup for his team as captain.

We move on

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
And if you read my posts, you'd see that the qualities highlighted arn't the reasons why I would give Subban the C. But it's pointless

And by the way I'm not saying there is only one answer for everyone... It's not a universal truth that subban should be captain, but I think he should be. You however, are going all over the map trying to belittle my points for some strange reason. You don't understand my points (or refuse to). At least have some consistency with your arguments.

I don't care that you feel Gorges, Pleks or Markov can be Cup winning captains. I don't see them winning the cup. I only see Subban able to raise that cup for his team as captain.

We move on

that's called having a discussion. You make your post, I tell you why I (dis)agree, you add to it, I respond again and so on...

If all you want is to make your point without discussing it, dont reply to people who (dis)agree with you, that is all.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
that's called having a discussion. You make your post, I tell you why I (dis)agree, you add to it, I respond again and so on...

If all you want is to make your point without discussing it, dont reply to people who (dis)agree with you, that is all.

You don't give any of your own consistent opinions. You know what I want in a captain, I have no idea what you want in a captain still.. except maybe that you don't want subban because he's too flamboyant? I don't even know, you're all over the place :laugh:. I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I mind people disagreeing without having any idea what their actual opinion is on the matter.

PricePkPatch*

A leader would not do what he did last night, a leader would have raced down the ice and congratulated Price for winning the game for the team. Yes I know he did that after the fact, but in the heat of the moment it was all about PK. Like I said maybe some day, but he's a ways from that yet.

He raced down to his team and celebrated with them, and then went to see Price. What's the problem with you?

PricePkPatch*

there's no sources eitherway.

100% of the people claiming Subban would make a great C are simply huuuuuge P.K. fans, nothing else.

Except, you know, Darche. Who was his TEAMMATE and actually KNOW FIRST HAND what sort of person he is

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How could you ever doubt Darche Superstar?!?!

May I have a source? First I heard about this.

Sadly, I don't remember if I heard this on AC, read this on the internet... Or maybe I had a dream.

Anyway, Plekanec is our best forward since 2007.

Say whaaaaaaat? He's not good enough to be our captain ?

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

(K, I've had too much of that Mcdo ad.)

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I like the idea of Plekanec as a full time "A" (why is he not already?) more than Captain because this town doesn't have the greatest tract record when it comes to how they treat European captains who don't like to talk to the media much, though he makes the most sense if the team insists Subban is too young and immature to be captain.

Personally, I think Subban is captain material, but this team has some oldschool veterans who might feel otherwise in a vote unfortunately. I think Subban is a lot more admired in the locker room than the media makes it out to be (the guys who have openly had fustration with him in the past, such as Markov and Plekanec, probably understand what he means to this team a lot more than RDS does - just look at Darche, a few years ago there was a big stink because Darche openly criticized Subban on the ice), but the team might insist on an older captain for whatever reason.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Mathieu Darche was a 4th liner in the NHL and now is a 4th category seat-filler on RDS. Someone must have told him that to move up the pecking order on l'Antichambre, all he had to do was emit an opinion about PK. Thanks to this non-story about PK's potential captaincy, word is he's been moved one blue seat closer to drunken giggler Stépane Langdeau.

That's not quite fair, Darche has an ivy league education so he is not just some dumb jock. Plus it doesn't matter if he played fourth line(actually played first line more than I care to remember), but he is the most qualified at RDS to give his opinion on who should be the captain.

I think it would be pre-mature to give it to PK if Gionta leaves next year but an A would definitely be warranted. I'd be ok with Markov or Pleks, they are both respected vets and next in the pecking order, they've both earned it. PK will take over after that I am sure of it.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Plekanec should be the next captain, he's an excellent stabilising force and commands respect.

I think Subban could be a great captain in 3-4 seasons, yes he's polarising but he's not afraid to take responsibility. He doesn't melt in the spotlight, he just shines even brighter and that's a type of leader who you want. One who goes out there with no fear or doubt in his mind.

PricePkPatch*

now simple questions
3. do any of the players who heard the speech feel pumped, more confident , etc after listening to him ?
4. does he have a calming presence?

Wait. You think we need a CALMING presence as our Captain at the moment?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You don't give any of your own consistent opinions. You know what I want in a captain, I have no idea what you want in a captain still.. except maybe that you don't want subban because he's too flamboyant? I don't even know, you're all over the place :laugh:. I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I mind people disagreeing without having any idea what their actual opinion is on the matter.

the Q in post 77 should give you a good indication.

PricePkPatch*

doesnt matter if we need it NOW, you still need a C who can do that from time to time...

And I'm sure that he'll learn to do it. If he is landed the extra responsibilities.

But what's for sure, it's that he can be one helluva electrizing presence.

PricePkPatch*

for fans, sure... but for teammates, is he ?

Sure is. Don't remember how he almost single-handely shocked his own team into a comeback against the Flames? Inexperience sunk his attempt, but he still was the one leading the charge.

Plus, electrize crowd helps a team to get energy.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Sure is. Don't remember how he almost single-handely shocked his own team into a comeback against the Flames? Inexperience sunk his attempt, but he still was the one leading the charge.

Plus, electrize crowd helps a team to get energy.

who followed his lead ?

come on now... that's a BS reason for giving the C to a player...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00