TV: The Walking Dead | S8 | PART IV | (NO COMIC DISCUSSION/SPOILERS)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just started watching this show with the lady yesterday. Done with the first season. It’s really good. I hear the show starts to tank around season 4, is that true?
You're probably better off in a binge watch to be honest. There's a few points where the show did a pretty bad job ending and making you wait for the new season to begin. With the show shifting to new threats, I think having a mid-season break, or just waiting an entire week for an ok episode, hurt the show. Writers and promotions have also taken place through-out the years. If you can binge watch half a season at a time - that would be ideal and you'd probably enjoy it more.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just finished the season 2 finale and the show is starting to lose me. I think i'm just not a fan of the show format. It seems like most of the show is just one character walking up to another character in a secluded room/area and talking about their drama. This happens over and over again, rotating between the various characters, until some walkers come.

I can get over things like how the characters fly through bullets, always get headshots, and despite saying it repeatedly...don't care about how loud a gun shot is in the middle of nowhere when a walker can hear it and come closer. Those things kind of have to just be accepted for the show to happen, so fine. But how the characters interact with the rest of the group brings the show down IMO. They've all turned into one-dimensional caricatures that rotate one-on-one discussions with each other.

The general story is great though. I really found the Rick vs Shane dichotomy to be fascinating and was disappointed it ended.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Just finished the season 2 finale and the show is starting to lose me. I think i'm just not a fan of the show format. It seems like most of the show is just one character walking up to another character in a secluded room/area and talking about their drama. This happens over and over again, rotating between the various characters, until some walkers come.

I can get over things like how the characters fly through bullets, always get headshots, and despite saying it repeatedly...don't care about how loud a gun shot is in the middle of nowhere when a walker can hear it and come closer. Those things kind of have to just be accepted for the show to happen, so fine. But how the characters interact with the rest of the group brings the show down IMO. They've all turned into one-dimensional caricatures that rotate one-on-one discussions with each other.

The general story is great though. I really found the Rick vs Shane dichotomy to be fascinating and was disappointed it ended.

Stick with it., the series is worth the ride.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

If you are starting to lose it after S2 I give it like a 2% chance you make it the rest of the way.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Just started watching this show with the lady yesterday. Done with the first season. It’s really good. I hear the show starts to tank around season 4, is that true?

The first season remains one of the best seasons of TV ever. Its great.

Around 4 it does start to tail off. I made it to 6 before it lost its "must watch" appeal and I gave up at 7.

I am tempted to pick it up again though

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The first season remains one of the best seasons of TV ever. Its great.

Around 4 it does start to tail off. I made it to 6 before it lost its "must watch" appeal and I gave up at 7.

I am tempted to pick it up again though

Well, considering, you should. The problem is that you get more and more cartoonish caracters and situations - Negan ain't the last one of them, and really not the worst - but once you accept the tone, it's still picks up pretty nicely. Seasons 9-10 are pretty good.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Season 3 was better than season 2 in my opinion. If you remove the Shane/Rick story, season 2 was a big meh other than introducing Hershel

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Season 3 was better than season 2 in my opinion. If you remove the Shane/Rick story, season 2 was a big meh other than introducing Hershel

Yeah I can see that. About halfway through season 3 right now. Right when the Governor brings out Darryl.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Oh don't know where to post this, but TWD was back on this week with a pretty average/weak episode. Maggie, one of the worst characters of the whole run, is back with a leading role for some reason (well, because her other show failed).

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Oh don't know where to post this, but TWD was back on this week with a pretty average/weak episode. Maggie, one of the worst characters of the whole run, is back with a leading role for some reason (well, because her other show failed).

I actually like Maggie, but yeah, that episode was very underwhelming/ boring. I guess just about a season and a bit left before it's all over.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I actually like Maggie, but yeah, that episode was very underwhelming/ boring. I guess just about a season and a bit left before it's all over.

Well this was the first of 6 extra episodes of season 10 and then there's season 11 which might take a while to appear. That one kid might, Judith, be a teenager by that time...

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Well this was the first of 6 extra episodes of season 10 and then there's season 11 which might take a while to appear. That one kid might, Judith, be a teenager by that time...

Kind of suprised anybody answered, I was sure I was alone still watching this! Supposedly the movies are still a thing (or is it the movie?). And they were hinting at a follow-up series with Carol and Darryl after season 11. But who knows... One thing for sure, zombies have been irrelevant for a long time in this and it got soooo repetitive... and now 'the Reapers'? :facepalm:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I am still so surprised they are still making episodes. Seems the last three seasons have felt like they would be the last ones.

Have the episodes from season 7 onwards been worth watching at all?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I am still so surprised they are still making episodes. Seems the last three seasons have felt like they would be the last ones.

Have the episodes from season 7 onwards been worth watching at all?

Well,... Episode 1 of Season 7 is what killed the series. I think it's a must-see because no TV-series and very few films have been that brutal (if you consider the previous 6 seasons of investment into the characters). It was too much for a lot of people, and while Season 6 maintained very high ratings, and 7.1 got everybody watching, it's been a clear and continuous downfall since.

Spoilers follow, but I guess pretty much everybody knows the general details.

The Saviors storyline is ok but way too long (it runs through Seasons 7 & 8). It should have been the last "evil group" too, because too much was invested in that storyline to really top it with a similar arc (and the whole Whisperers arc is silly as f***). Season 9 is a weird one, with the departure of Andrew Lincoln mid-way, but that episode of Rick agonising and hallucinating was kind of inventive (and certainly a fan-pleaser, for the few remaining). It's kind of surprising but the show picks up pretty nicely after he's gone - it's just too bad about the Whisperers crap. I liked Season 9 & a good chunk of Season 10 despite of them, they changed show runner too and it was more than time.

Worth watching? It's a pretty long commitment for no great rewards, so I don't know.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Well,... Episode 1 of Season 7 is what killed the series. I think it's a must-see because no TV-series and very few films have been that brutal (if you consider the previous 6 seasons of investment into the characters). It was too much for a lot of people, and while Season 6 maintained very high ratings, and 7.1 got everybody watching, it's been a clear and continuous downfall since.

Spoilers follow, but I guess pretty much everybody knows the general details.

The Saviors storyline is ok but way too long (it runs through Seasons 7 & 8). It should have been the last "evil group" too, because too much was invested in that storyline to really top it with a similar arc (and the whole Whisperers arc is silly as f***). Season 9 is a weird one, with the departure of Andrew Lincoln mid-way, but that episode of Rick agonising and hallucinating was kind of inventive (and certainly a fan-pleaser, for the few remaining). It's kind of surprising but the show picks up pretty nicely after he's gone - it's just too bad about the Whisperers crap. I liked Season 9 & a good chunk of Season 10 despite of them, they changed show runner too and it was more than time.

Worth watching? It's a pretty long commitment for no great rewards, so I don't know.
I stopped after Glen. That's the moment it jumped the shark. It's when you realised this show has no overarching plot and no end.

We're just waiting and see who gets killed off each week.

There's no buildup to an ending. It's the kind of show that will get abruptly cancelled.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I stopped after Glen. That's the moment it jumped the shark. It's when you realised this show has no overarching plot and no end.

We're just waiting and see who gets killed off each week.

There's no buildup to an ending. It's the kind of show that will get abruptly cancelled.

Well, if there was some kind of suspense as who you'd lose next, that would be something, but it got more silly than that. The cast got exhausted and now storylines have been based more on contracts than on plot. Rick asked to be offed. Maggie got out to star in another show. Sasha got out to star in another show (I think she was done anyway). Michonne asked to be offed. Now Maggie's other show failed so she comes back... Now you just know nothing will happen to Darryl and Carol because they're the last remaining original characters.

They have a plan to end the main series with Season 11. I just hope it ends with a bang. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I used to be a very religious viewer when the series started but then I realized how open ended and pointless it was (to be fair that's the nature of the content). Also, and I know this probably sounds trite with how much gore there is but it lost me during I can 't remember which season with that cannibal group who bled out their victims over a trough. Too gratuitous for me.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
This show jumped the shark with the Terminus stuff. It was all downhill from there (and it was already pretty downhill to get to that point). It became a zombie apocalypse soap opera around that time.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Couldn't help but laugh at the structure of this week's episode... 5 years ago / one year later / 6 months later / 8 months later / 3 months later... Amazing storytelling skills. :skeptic:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I used to be a very religious viewer when the series started but then I realized how open ended and pointless it was (to be fair that's the nature of the content). Also, and I know this probably sounds trite with how much gore there is but it lost me during I can 't remember which season with that cannibal group who bled out their victims over a trough. Too gratuitous for me.

That was probably the most brutal scene of the show. I know the double skull bashing scene with Negans big debut got all the buzz, but the trough scene was harder to watch imo

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Couldn't help but laugh at the structure of this week's episode... 5 years ago / one year later / 6 months later / 8 months later / 3 months later... Amazing storytelling skills. :skeptic:

I'm more than halfway through and man, so freaking dull! Who is this woman? Am I supposed to care?

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
I'm more than halfway through and man, so freaking dull! Who is this woman? Am I supposed to care?

Felt the same through the episode. At this point, I guess they are trying to prepare us for a reunion with this woman. It can't be Daryl's character development this late in the series, it'd be incredibly dumb knowing there's only 1 season left to the show lol.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Felt the same through the episode. At this point, I guess they are trying to prepare us for a reunion with this woman. It can't be Daryl's character development this late in the series, it'd be incredibly dumb knowing there's only 1 season left to the show lol.

The whole thing was a bit OOC for me. Daryl shacking up with some woman? Huh? Running around in the woods for 2 years, looking for Rick's corpse? Yeah, that's Daryl. This? Eh.

I did like the throw down with Carol at the end though. Is anyone still a fan of this character? I've lost my patience long ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad