Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If you get a trade offer for him, take it obviously.

However with two FA starting pitchers already moving out (Estrada and Happ), they may want to keep Garcia over having too many young guys in at once and sending him away for nothing.

we sure as hell better not pick up his option.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, I don't get that. I swear earlier in the year, before stupid facebook game #1 we were told repeatedly that there were only 2 such games this season.

So what kind of refund do the customers get who bought MLB TV because they were explicitly told they get access to every single major league baseball game this season?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If you get a trade offer for him, take it obviously.

However with two FA starting pitchers already moving out (Estrada and Happ), they may want to keep Garcia over having too many young guys in at once and sending him away for nothing.

That makes sense. However, he doesn't really pitch a lot of innings. A fringe starter could take his spot.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Ben Badler's transcript of prospect chat

Bichette's a SS to him.

• How much would you say Miguel Hiraldo has raised his stock?

Ben Badler: It's up some, although he was already one of the best hitters in the 2017 international class, so seeing him knock around DSL pitching isn't too much of a surprise. But it's good to have more evidence to support the scouting reports on his hitting ability.

Zeuch's ceiling "Back-end starter. Steep angle and heavy sink with a lot of groundballs, but the secondary stuff lags and doesn't allow him to miss many bats."

Ben Badler Top Prospects Chat (6/19/18)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So what kind of refund do the customers get who bought MLB TV because they were explicitly told they get access to every single major league baseball game this season?

Likely not. There's probably a "subject to change" disclaimer buried somewhere in the MLB.tv fine print especially considering these games would've been a known quantity going into the season when MLB was soliciting orders for the .tv streaming service.

Either that or the weasel clause is something like "you actually get access to every single network-broadcast MLB game", which then by letter-of-the-law excludes the Facebook games.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
we sure as hell better not pick up his option.

That is likely a given, but I am talking about finishing out the year.

If you have to pay him, and do not want that many young pitchers getting playing time, it may be better to keep him than sending him down.

But I would trade him in a heart beat. Even if there was not much in return, or you had to eat some salary.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Interesting news regarding Tepera. Not sure how likely it is he's traded, especially since there is no mention the Jays are even interested in trading him, but if he is traded it could signal the Jays are just seeing 2019 as a retooling year, and could look to trade Smoak, Pillar and Martin.

I’m not really interested in moving Tepera at all. If the right offer comes you always make the deal but they have a lot of other options to move first

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Top Prospects from last night

Kevin Smith 1-3, HR, 2 RBIs, BB (hitting .329 on the season)
Bo Bichette 1-6, RBI, 2 BB, 2 SBs (hitting .279 on the season)
Cavan Biggio 1-6, 3 RBIs (hitting .281 on the season)
Ryan Boruki 7IP, 0 ERs, 4Ks, BB, 3 Hits
Danny Jansen 2-3, BB (hitting .303 on the season)
Anthony Alford 0-6 (hitting .204 on the season)
Rowdy Tellez 2-6 (hitting .264 on the season)
TJ Zeuch 7IP, 0 ERs, 7Ks, 7 hits

Midwest had their all-star game

If Bichette's speed and defense is for real, he could possibly be a Jeter-lite at the next level and also Kevin Smith keeps raking. I think Smith needs another 150-200 abs but if he continues to destroy, I think he's ready for AA. Maybe Bichette and Biggio goes to AAA.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I’m not really interested in moving Tepera at all. If the right offer comes you always make the deal but they have a lot of other options to move first
I think you may be surprised at how much we will get in return for a hard-throwing, cost-controlled (heading into his first arb year), back of the bullpen relief guy. He has years of control, on what will be an affordable salary, while proving he can handle the 7th or 8th, and even the 9th in a pinch.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Had 7 SO today too.

And 12 ground outs. He was absolutely masterful.

I recommend Milb.tv to everyone. Its really nice being able to watch start to start (or game by game for the position players). Zeuch has really changed my mind the last few starts. Hitters have an extremely difficult time squaring up his sinker. The curveball has looked better as well. Reminds me a bit of Biagini's curve (big, loopy, overhand). He throws it to lefties often when he gets ahead (depending on the umpires strikezone, he can steal strikes on the outside corner. Doubtful it would be consistently effective in the MLB). I prefer the slider, personally.

Very, very encouraged overall. A month ago, he was a 45FV for me. After the last month, he's an easy 50FV. If the slider can be consistently employed as a plus offering, he's a 55FV and major league ready.

Borucki looked great as well against what amounts to a crappy major league lineup (comparable to the Marlins). He works very well with Danny Jansen. The stuff is not overwhelming. Reminds me a bit of Kyle Freeland.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

If you get a deal similar to Herrera brought back to the Royals you make a trade in a heartbeat. Relievers are in high demand at this time of the year. Pitchers like Tepera and Clippard should be traded to the highest bidder. Relievers are a dime a dozen.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Likely not. There's probably a "subject to change" disclaimer buried somewhere in the MLB.tv fine print especially considering these games would've been a known quantity going into the season when MLB was soliciting orders for the .tv streaming service.

Either that or the weasel clause is something like "you actually get access to every single network-broadcast MLB game", which then by letter-of-the-law excludes the Facebook games.

Oh I know there won't actually be a refund. It just bugs me the way they've gone about the whole thing while MLB.TV still says a subscription allows you to "watch EVERY out-of-market regular season game LIVE or on demand in HD".

And the Facebook deal was announced March 9, while many people (particularly those who auto-renew every year) had already signed up by that point. Not only that, but they only announced the April schedule at that time and have been adjusting/adding/updating on the fly throughout the season.

The whole thing is stupid.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
DgJPSUqUEAAQQ9-.jpg:large

Big Read: Inside the Toronto Blue Jays' high performance department - Sportsnet.ca

Sports science is baseball's next arms race. With their high performance department, the Toronto Blue Jays may be leading the pack.....

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah you take a kings random for Tepera because cheap, controlled bullpen guys get huge returns. Its an asset that may not appreciate and likelier to depreciate.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
He got full slot value at his pick.

Imagine that, everything worked out and everyone signed for what they were expected to sign for.

Reactions: Anthrax442
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad