The Vision of Kyle Dubas

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It's this time of year you miss guys like Leivo too. Another brilliant donation by Dubas. He kept Lindholm over Leivo....lirl

2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs* NHL 27 4 2 6 7 1
2018-19 Vancouver Canucks NHL 39 9 7 16 25 4

66 games 32 points.

aka Nylander level points (Leivo has 8 more goals)

Reactions: yubbers

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No. But he's a leader and plays a tough game with emotion. You guys continue to say players like that don't matter, yet we have the same conversation every year about how we're not built for the playoffs. What's the definition of insanity again?

Leivo is a puck-winning boards beast, will fist fight not back away when confronted, is a keep-my-mouth-shut-and-take-one-for-the-team guy, knew Babcock's system, and will always earn less than $1M per year.

Sounds just like what we need.

Vancouver fans are at least as critical and impatient as Leaf fans, and even they have only good things to say.

Babcock has no use for the guy.

I’ve been a Leivo fan for a few years now, but Dubas wasn’t the issue with him being used in the lineup and a GM can’t force a coach to use players he doesn’t want to

Reactions: TheShape

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Because he’s a shell of his former self.....

He’s also not replacing any of the top 9 LW on the team
Shell of his former self? Dudes good for 20 goals every year. This year being no different on a Philly team that struggled. Vorachek is down big as well. It's almost like struggling teams will hurt individual stats.

Preds have him on the RW

Reactions: Cobra777

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Shell of his former self? Dudes good for 20 goals every year. This year being no different on a Philly team that struggled. Vorachek is down big as well. It's almost like struggling teams will hurt individual stats.

Preds have him on the RW

Maybe a couple years ago he was good for 20 goals, but a lot of guys fall off a cliff once they get near 30. His play with the Preds certainly doesn’t suggest he will

He’s also not replacing any of the teams RW either....

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I find it silly when people claim a team is playing at ".500" once they subtract out the ot/so losses. You get that? Overtime wins count as wins, but overtime losses don't count as anything at all. It's bull****.
Like, when it was pointed the leafs are barely a .500 team since January 1st (17 wins, 16 losses), people countered by saying the ot losses don't count as losses, so the leafs are above .500
It's nonsense.
Aren't you used to the mentality around here yet? It's annoying how much mediocrity gets defended.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Best GM weve had in a generation.

Cant remember any time we picked up both the best free agent in the off season and the best deadline pickup.
If you minus out the dramatic overpayments, I'll agree he's been good otherwise.

But also, saying he's the best GM in a generation isn't really saying much.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The first order of business this summer should be defense and goaltending.

Forget about the forwards for a minute, we must spend less time in our end. We must be sound, able to handle pressure and forecheck and move the puck efficiently.

Zone 1. Our zone.
Then we can work on our play in the neutral zone and finally keeping more zone time in the offensive zone.

We have a lot of the same forward types. We must address the D and upgrade zone by zone.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The first order of business this summer should be defense and goaltending.

Forget about the forwards for a minute, we must spend less time in our end. We must be sound, able to handle pressure and forecheck and move the puck efficiently.

Zone 1. Our zone.
Then we can work on our play in the neutral zone and finally keeping more zone time in the offensive zone.

We have a lot of the same forward types. We must address the D and upgrade zone by zone.
The first order of business should be finding a new coach.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ferland hasnt been very good either.

Ferland has been battling an injury for a while now and has been in and out of the line-up for a few weeks. Even some of the games he's played in, he hasn't been able to finish so I think a lot of it is due to that.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I assume Dubas is trading someone from the forward group for a RD and others for cap space. Brown, and likely Kapanen is gone after this year. He'll try to move Zaitsev at the draft and make an offer to Gardiner.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I assume Dubas is trading someone from the forward group for a RD and others for cap space. Brown, and likely Kapanen is gone after this year. He'll try to move Zaitsev at the draft and make an offer to Gardiner.

Johnnson will be gone long before Kapanen along with Kadri, Brown and a few other non-performers.

Last edited:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006

I would forget about Gardiner this year and avoid signing him next year too. His back hasn't been holding up too well lately and is only going to get worse as the years go by.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Happy St. Patrick's day everyone. I haven't been posting lately so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not.

The Problem With The Leafs :

In my opinion is simple. I'ts a case of conflicting and clashing ideologies between Babs and Dubas . Babs likes to run 4 lines with almost equal playing time with emphasis on the grinding. Ergo why babs runs Hyman and Brown so much. Dubas wants skill and speed.

Both men have had success with those philosophies so naturally they will defend their position. Either Dubas has to provide Babs with the players he needs to implement the system he wants to run OR he needs to bring in the type of coach that shares his vision of skill and speed.

If the two ideologies can be blended together you have the ideal match. Unfortunately the way this team is constructed they have no identity or at least not a complete version of one.

Pick a team concept and a coach that shares that vision and then run with it. This tweener thing is not working.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Johnsson plays LW. Without him our best LW is Hyman and our 2nd best is Marleau. He'll stay over Kappy who has Moore to replace him.

Moore will not replace Kapanen. If you ask fans around these parts of the woods they will readily admit their preference for Kappy over Johnsson if it came down to a choice.

Other options will be available for left wing come draft day or UFA selection.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Matthews is certainly more overpaid due to how short his contract is.

Both could be total steals soon but the trend of playing out the ass for RFA years was helped along by Dubas for sure.

"Helped along", or started? Seems like a lot of NHL GMs are pissed at Dubas for giving out those contracts with so little term.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
"Helped along", or started? Seems like a lot of NHL GMs are pissed at Dubas for giving out those contracts with so little term.
Ya I would say the original problem started with a guy like Draisaitl getting a huge superstar contract (at the time) after his ELC whereby he wasnt a superstar (yet).

Dubas certaintly made it worse by now shortening the term while still paying top dollar.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ya I would say the original problem started with a guy like Draisaitl getting a huge superstar contract (at the time) after his ELC whereby he wasnt a superstar (yet).

Dubas certaintly made it worse by now shortening the term while still paying top dollar.

OK, I better understand what you were getting at now. It was the "term" thing I was thinking of. That's on Dubas I'd think.

I think most people would prefer Draisaitl's term all things considered. Edmonton rolled the dice to some extent here for sure, but Draisaitl is pretty good and showing his worth it appears (so far). His contract isn't looking too bad in retrospect.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
OK, I better understand what you were getting at now. It was the "term" thing I was thinking of. That's on Dubas I'd think.

I think most people would prefer Draisaitl's term all things considered. Edmonton rolled the dice to some extent here for sure, but Draisaitl is pretty good and showing his worth it appears (so far). His contract isn't looking too bad in retrospect.
Ya Dubas seemed to use Malkin as the closest comparable for Matthews (term and cap hit%) while Nylander was overpaid like 300-400k considering he gave up a lot less UFA years than his comparables. Dont think he got good deals, overpayments for sure but they shouldn't be a huge hindrance in the future.

Oh his contract looks genius now but at the time the general consensus was they overpaid him. Edmonton maybe saw his true potential or got lucky, we will never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad