The Vision of Kyle Dubas

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I actually don't think the shorter Matthews contract will damage the Leafs at all. He gets his retirement contract at 26 and is only 34 when it ends.

True elite forwards like Matthews are only beginning to decline around that age. So the Leafs will end up with a player who is actually a $12-$14M player for more of his contract, if not all of it. Alternatively, extending him at 28 means you're likely going to have to account for a few years when you aren't getting what you paid for.

Exactly.

I’d definitely rather resign a 26 year old player than a 28 year old version.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Exactly.

I’d definitely rather resign a 26 year old player than a 28 year old version.
on the flip side, rather have Mathew's services until he's 28 then seeing him leave at 26. Every coin has two sides, just saying...............

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Post that an HFBoards guy would make and not one becoming of the GM of the wealthiest NHL team.

Shanny should think about this post as he fires Dubas.

Kyle mocks the mere sheeples. Thank you Dubas, The great...overpayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayJayhockey

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
on the flip side, rather have Mathew's services until he's 28 then seeing him leave at 26. Every coin has two sides, just saying...............

It would be pretty unprecedented for a player of Matthews' calibre to reach free agency unless his organization was a mismanaged tire fire throughout his tenure a la Islanders or Senators.

He's not leaving Toronto to go play in Arizona. Arizona will be Houston by the time this becomes an issue.

Also, LOL at Matthews being a $20M player in five years. This isn't football.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It would be pretty unprecedented for a player of Matthews' calibre to reach free agency unless his organization was a mismanaged tire fire throughout his tenure a la Islanders or Senators.

He's not leaving Toronto to go play in Arizona. Arizona will be Houston by the time this becomes an issue.

Vegas baby.

JayJayhockey

Mar 17, 2019
Post that an HFBoards guy would make and not one becoming of the GM of the wealthiest NHL team.

Shanny should think about this post as he fires Dubas.

Kyle mocks the mere sheeples. Thank you Dubas, The great...overpayer.
Those are the Leaf fans in the big line looking for a game of checking, hitting and dare I say it..,fighting! , but yes they are in the wrong line.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Those are the Leaf fans in the big line looking for a game of checking, hitting and dare I say it..,fighting! , but yes they are in the wrong line.

Right! Competitive hockey lovers! This kids a joke, can't wait until his Nonis 2.0 ass is hit canned.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
wouldn't rush to give Dubas a report card just yet. Let's give him one playoff, one offseason and see what adjustments he can make based on how the playoffs go.

Wish someone had said to me, "we're giving you a whole lot of dough and a great support staff, but it's alright if you suck for the first little while. We'll re-evaluate down the road."

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

When it comes to rfa contracts, the longer the term, the higher the aav. That's why bridge contracts exist, and for so little money. Because the longer the term, the more ufa years are taken up, and the higher the aav is.
The recent landscape has shown players like McDavid, Draisytl, and Eichel sign under 8 year terms. Those contracts are beneficial to the team long term. If the contract is shorter, the aav takes a drastic hit.
It's insane to suggest that Matthews signing for 5 years at that aav is "good" for the team long term. It's absolute insanity. I guarantee you that Dubas was going for an 8 year term, but couldn't get. There is no benefit to this 5 year term.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Vegas baby.
or maybe one of the Cali teams

i still can't believe how Dubas gave him that deal , i knew he was a weak ass bitch but i didn't think he'd let AM and his agent have a party in his ass like he did

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
or maybe one of the Cali teams

i still can't believe how Dubas gave him that deal , i knew he was a weak ass ***** but i didn't think he'd let AM and his agent have a party in his ass like he did

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When it comes to rfa contracts, the longer the term, the higher the aav. That's why bridge contracts exist, and for so little money. Because the longer the term, the more ufa years are taken up, and the higher the aav is.
The recent landscape has shown players like McDavid, Draisytl, and Eichel sign under 8 year terms. Those contracts are beneficial to the team long term. If the contract is shorter, the aav takes a drastic hit.
It's insane to suggest that Matthews signing for 5 years at that aav is "good" for the team long term. It's absolute insanity. I guarantee you that Dubas was going for an 8 year term, but couldn't get. There is no benefit to this 5 year term.
There is benefit.
Matthews and Nylander will both be UFAs at the same time.
I’m sure they made Dubas a promise to re-sign.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
There is benefit.
Matthews and Nylander will both be UFAs at the same time.
I’m sure they made Dubas a promise to re-sign.
This is insanity.
There is no benefit.

You really think if there wasn't a cap problem, Dubas would have tried to talk Matthews into taking a shorter term?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad