Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Yeah this is a relief more than something to celebrate. It's still unfortunate the whole thing played out at all regardless of what the truth is.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
GREAT. Time to grab the Vezina, Varly! :D

44058942.jpg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Funny how it was such a big story when it happened and everyone had an opinion on it. Now that the charges have been dropped and Varly is in the clear, it's a little sidebar on sports websites and most of the reporters/media haven't said anything.

TSN had it as the main story on their website earlier and it's one of the top three right now. But none of their insiders have even mentioned it on twitter. When the news first broke, they retweeted every little detail that came out.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Funny how it was such a big story when it happened and everyone had an opinion on it. Now that the charges have been dropped and Varly is in the clear, it's a little sidebar on sports websites and most of the reporters/media haven't said anything.

TSN had it as the main story on their website earlier and it's one of the top three right now. But none of their insiders have even mentioned it on twitter. When the news first broke, they retweeted every little detail that came out.

People love scandals.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The news loves to report bad news. Also, Friday afternoon before a holiday? The exact time to release news that will get buried. By the time those reporters get back to work they won't even remember to tweet it. This all has been a very carefully managed "scandal".

Mant*

I'm so glad this is over with. Varly hasn't been quite the same on the ice since this all started, and hopefully with this cloud gone from over his head he'll be fully back in the game.

Also, I still don't think his ex-girlfriend was really the one behind all this... I'm pretty sure it was that slimier than snake **** lawyer and his fiance driving it all.

Mant*

The main forum is still disgusting when it comes to this. They've moved on from "guilty until proven innocent" to "the Avs paid off the DA" and "she should have gone for sexual assault instead since you don't need evidence".

Wastes of skin, those people.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This news almost slipped by me. That shows how ridiculously insensitive the media is. So much hoopla, and indicting commentary and articles about Varly. So far only one on the Denver Post about him being innocent with barely any details.

Glad his name was cleared if he was innocent, which it always sounded like was the case. At least apart from something like grabbing a crazy chick by her arms and pushing her away from you or something like that, which is my own personal belief of the extent of what might have happened, and she took advantage of it.

I hope he sues her, and the Post for their defamatory article and video based entirely of the translation from the fiancee of the accusers attorney, instead of their own that they had under their own payroll.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I am so glad Varly can put all this behind him now, the sooner the better. It is a bit sad he never got his side of the story out there so when the media tacks on this update to their existing story it has all the ridiculous claims her camp put out and then "oh by the way charges were dropped". Just like the 9news story I linked here. All that matters is the situation is over but it is a shame his character has been defamed forever and he never got a rebuttal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Varly's agent:

Varlamov's agent, Paul Theofanous, told The Denver Post, "I maintained then and maintain now my client was always totally innocent of these charges."

Asked if Varlamov might sue his accuser or anyone connected with the case, Theofanous said, "I'm not going to comment on that, other than to say he has legal remedies at his disposal should he choose to use them."

Varly's lawyer:

"Mr. Varlamov will continue to focus exclusively on hockey and his family, and is grateful to the Avalanche ownership, management and coaching staff, his teammates, Colorado Avs fans, the Russian Federation and fellow countrymen for their unwavering support."

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24767438/semyon-varlamov-avalanche-goalie-sees-charges-against-him

Varly will speak with the media after tomorrow night's game.

Mant*

This news almost slipped by me. That shows how ridiculously insensitive the media is. So much hoopla, and indicting commentary and articles about Varly. So far only one on the Denver Post about him being innocent with barely any details.

Glad his name was cleared if he was innocent, which it always sounded like was the case. At least apart from something like grabbing a crazy chick by her arms and pushing her away from you or something like that, which is my own personal belief of the extent of what might have happened, and she took advantage of it.

I hope he sues her, and the Post for their defamatory article and video based entirely of the translation from the fiancee of the accusers attorney, instead of their own that they had under their own payroll.

I'd prefer to just have it end here and not drag it out any more to be a future distraction.

Adama0905

Dec 25, 2007
Boulder, CO
I'm so glad this is over with. Varly hasn't been quite the same on the ice since this all started, and hopefully with this cloud gone from over his head he'll be fully back in the game.

Also, I still don't think his ex-girlfriend was really the one behind all this... I'm pretty sure it was that slimier than snake **** lawyer and his fiance driving it all.

Those are his last four save percentages. Yeah, he's got a couple bad games sprinkled in there, but a bit of a regression should be expected regardless of anything else. This is about how good I expect him to be - I personally haven't seen any drop off in play despite the off-ice distractions.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

Mant*

Those are his last four save percentages. Yeah, he's got a couple bad games sprinkled in there, but a bit of a regression should be expected regardless of anything else. This is about how good I expect him to be - I personally haven't seen any drop off in play despite the off-ice distractions.

Before all this started, he was not giving up those early first period goals, or the late third period goals that the other team get back into the game and force overtime. To me those, especially the early goals, point to mental distractions.

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
Quote:
Lynn Kimbrough, a spokeswoman for the Denver District Attorney's Office, declined to offer specifics on the new information that led prosecutors to drop the case. She said it surfaced from additional interviews with witnesses.

"This is not an indication that we didn't believe our victim," Kimbrough said. "It is ... simply not having the ability to prove it." http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10173198/semyon-varlamov-colorado-avalanche-charges-dropped

"As detectives continued to investigate and re-interviewed witnesses, statements began to shift, Kimbrough said."

"Most of the time, additional investigation strengthens our case. This time ... it became clear we didn't have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt."

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24767438/semyon-varlamov-avalanche-goalie-sees-charges-against-him

If you are going to quote the spokeswoman please don't just quote the least attractive bits, that's what the main board is for ;).

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Not to speculate or anything, but this isn't a surprise to me and I'd assume most people following this story. The girl's "interview" with the Denver Post was a scam and anybody with common sense could tell something didn't fit with the story. I guess we'll never know what happened, but I'm glad the guy can put this behind him and move on with his life.

As for the media, my personal bias, but there aren't many professions with less ethics nowadays...

Mant*

Not to speculate or anything, but this isn't a surprise to me and I'd assume most people following this story. The girl's "interview" with the Denver Post was a scam and anybody with common sense could tell something didn't fit with the story. I guess we'll never know what happened, but I'm glad the guy can put this behind him and move on with his life.

As for the media, my personal bias, but there aren't many professions with less ethics nowadays...

There are two that come to mind.

Lawyers and forum moderators.

ignorotic

Oct 8, 2011
Denver CO
I still can't believe how many eThugs think turning yourself in when you have an arrest warrant means you are guilty of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad