OT - NO POLITICS The TV thread - RIP Miss Jean - Boston's Romper Room teacher

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The multiple time jumps and the changing out of the actors each time got to be too much. After the second one I was like WTF is this crap?

I lasted through HOTD, despite being disgusted with the atrocity of the last season of GOT. It was . . . uhh . . . OK. The Rings of Amazon? I didn't make it through the first episode, it was that bad. And I'm someone who went to see each of the Jackson LOTR movies multiple times in the theater. I loved them.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I lasted through HOTD, despite being disgusted with the atrocity of the last season of GOT. It was . . . uhh . . . OK. The Rings of Amazon? I didn't make it through the first episode, it was that bad. And I'm someone who went to see each of the Jackson LOTR movies multiple times in the theater. I loved them.
I thought the first episode was good, and the kids they cast were solid. Then they time jumped and the teenage versions were even better. And it was something I could at least watch during that phase. When the next time jump happened though, I was like eh, this is too much and too many changes in the span of what, 5 episodes? Three people playing the main female characters and a slew of other supporting roles, but the king and his brother were constant? Yeah, no. Sucked. lol

The rings was visually impressive to the point where it nearly looked fake. I love Gaiman too and his stuff is usually pretty well done, but man. It was just lacking. And predictable too.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I haven`t gone to the movies since Wedding Crashers but I can`t wait to catch The Whale once it`s free on whichever streaming service it winds up on, not because I`m some Brandon Fraser fan but because I love comeback stories and from all I have read, he`s a super good guy who got a break and seized it

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I dont know if anyone else hear is watching The Last of Us.
But man, I really think HBO hit another homerun with this series. I never played this or any other game and I think its to my benefit.
What a great story line and the writing and acting as relationships grow is outstanding.
Not for kids but highly recommend.

Covered every episode. Loved it and really loved writing about it.

Reactions: LSCII and Gee Wally

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
But man, I really think HBO hit another homerun with this series. I never played this or any other game and I think its to my benefit.
What a great story line and the writing and acting as relationships grow is outstanding.
Just finished the last episode.

Never played the games.

Started out great, but lost momentum for me.
I think certain elements just work better in a video game than in a show or movie.

From what I understand, much of Joel and Ellie’s character development in the game comes from dialogue in the midst of battle.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
So proud of my friend John Eddie who created new Netflix animation series Agent Elvis with Priscilla with Matthew McConaughey as Elvis released today. I’ve only watched the first ep so far but it’s pretty cool. If you see it, let me know what you think!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Been watching Due South again. Just finished the hockey episode. Another reason I liked this show, just like MacGyver (the original and only, IMO).

I can't believe most of my favorite shows are at least 30 years old now lol.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
History has a series called "The Food that Built America" and as stated in the Coffee thread, last night's episode was the history/backstory of Starbucks vs. Dunkin';

and how the Coolatta was created to battle the Frappacino

Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We started watching the new Netflix series The Recruit. Still not sure about it. It seems a little far-fetched in some of the things the main character does, knowing how government agencies work.

• Haha

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We started watching the new Netflix series The Recruit. Still not sure about it. It seems a little far-fetched in some of the things the main character does, knowing how government agencies work.
It's called the suspension of disbelief. If you encounter an absurd plot line, just repeat the mantra "it's in the script" until you can move forward.

I felt that way watching the last season of Jack Ryan, but I let it slide because it's just action pulp and not celebrated for it's realism and accuracy.

We just checked out the first episode of Lucky Hank with Bob Odenkirk. It was a little uneven but funny enough to check out the next one.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Been watching Due South again. Just finished the hockey episode. Another reason I liked this show, just like MacGyver (the original and only, IMO).

I can't believe most of my favorite shows are at least 30 years old now lol.
Watch and listen for all the hockey names they use for names of people in their exposition. For example, naming a mobster, Turk Broda. David E. Kelly is a big hockey fan and does this in his shows also. I believe the firm of Esposito, Hodge and Stanfield was mentioned on L.A. law once.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Watch and listen for all the hockey names they use for names of people in their exposition. For example, naming a mobster, Turk Broda. David E. Kelly is a big hockey fan and does this in his shows also. I believe the firm of Esposito, Hodge and Stanfield was mentioned on L.A. law once.
Richard Dean Anderson also referenced hockey on Stargate SG1. He asked Teal'c, an alien, who he liked to win the Stanley Cup. "I believe the Vancouver Canucks to be the superior warriors."

I think that was before 2011... and I also suspect they said Vancouver because that's where they filmed the show lol

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Richard Dean Anderson also referenced hockey on Stargate SG1. He asked Teal'c, an alien, who he liked to win the Stanley Cup. "I believe the Vancouver Canucks to be the superior warriors."

I think that was before 2011... and I also suspect they said Vancouver because that's where they filmed the show lol
I am a fan,and remember that line. Definitely before 2011, and yep, they filmed a lot of the show there.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

So no sign of intelligent life in that galaxy then

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
I’ve been totally immersed in The Last of Us. Not into gaming so never heard of the game it’s based on or, obviously, played it. However, I appreciate good post-apocalyptic tales, so gave it a try. So good I plan to watch all the episodes again; however , not sure I’m even emotionally recovered from S1, E3 yet.
The acting is excellent, never knew about Pedro Pascal before this, now considering watching The Mandalorian just to check him out in another role.
Given the violence, definitely not for kids. Heartbreaking emotional scenes for adults. Early episodes set in post “pandemic” Boston made it extra interesting for me ❤️

Reactions: Gee Wally

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’ve been totally immersed in The Last of Us. Not into gaming so never heard of the game it’s based on or, obviously, played it. However, I appreciate good post-apocalyptic tales, so gave it a try. So good I plan to watch all the episodes again; however , not sure I’m even emotionally recovered from S1, E3 yet.
The acting is excellent, never knew about Pedro Pascal before this, now considering watching The Mandalorian just to check him out in another role.
Given the violence, definitely not for kids. Heartbreaking emotional scenes for adults. Early episodes set in post “pandemic” Boston made it extra interesting for me ❤️
Mando is really a lot of fun you should definitely check it out. It's basically a cowboy movie set in space. Kind of an Eastwood spaghetti western, if you're familiar with that genre. He wears his helmet the whole time for the most part so you rarely see the actual actor.

He was in Game of Thrones as well and his character was fantastic.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Daisy Jones & The Six. Read the book. Watch the show. Its on Amazon Prime. Absolutely phenomenal. Truly!

Can't wait for Yellowjackets and Succession too. Great shows. I wish Succession wasn't ending. I love it so much!

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad