OT - NO POLITICS The TV thread - RIP Miss Jean - Boston's Romper Room teacher

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Started watching an older show called Patriot and it's really dark and really funny. Strange how it only got a 2 year run, but it's definitely worth checking out if anyone is in need of something to watch.

Also very pumped that Party Down got a reboot and is back on again. Another weird decision by a streaming service to pull the plug early on a truly brilliant show. Glad to see it's revived itself and picked up where it left off...

Reactions: GordonHowe

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not yet, thanks for asking. I *still* haven't watched an episode of Shoresy, either.

Very busy bee at the moment. But, again, thanks to all for all kinds of cool suggestions. :thumbu:
There's really no need to rush into it given there is going to be a massive delay between the seasons given Renner's recent health issues due to being run over by a snow groomer.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Does anyone else have an issue when they use their phone of comments not being up to date?

For example , it may say Wally replied 5 minutes ago, but the last post I see is hours old.....

(I use FireFox)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There's really no need to rush into it given there is going to be a massive delay between the seasons given Renner's recent health issues due to being run over by a snow groomer.
I'm in no rush to watch it. I'll check that one because I like Renner, and it's supposed to be a good show.

Generally speaking, I'm not into television drama of any kind. I much prefer straight news (PBS NewsHour), documentaries (Frontline, produced in Boston at GBH), "comfort food" comedies (Frasier, etc.) and the B's.

If there's a movie that's really good (Margin Call), or supposed be really good (Tar, Everything Everywhere All At Once), I'll make the investment in time and attention.

Reactions: LSCII

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Loving this series...Breaking Bad like.

1678196224183.png

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We discovered that Amazon Prime Video has a whole collection of hockey movies, including a number of documentaries on enforcers, and a really good one on the origins and initial season of the Vegas Golden Knights, called Valiant. They spend a lot of time on the team's response to the shooting there, and of course, there's a lot of hockey highlights. Was a much better watch than I had anticipated.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The MASH finale was 40 years ago tonight?

FORTY YEARS

I feel positively ancient

I'm presently on a mass first three seasons jag. Those first three seasons featuring McLean Stevenson as henry, Wayne Rogers as trapper, and sparkling, absurdist, frequently throw away repartee between the principles is excellent televised comfort food.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Started watching an older show called Patriot and it's really dark and really funny. Strange how it only got a 2 year run, but it's definitely worth checking out if anyone is in need of something to watch.

Also very pumped that Party Down got a reboot and is back on again. Another weird decision by a streaming service to pull the plug early on a truly brilliant show. Glad to see it's revived itself and picked up where it left off...
I'd like to see all the original stuff, and perhaps the new stuff too. I heard many good things about that series.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I dont know if anyone else hear is watching The Last of Us.
But man, I really think HBO hit another homerun with this series. I never played this or any other game and I think its to my benefit.
What a great story line and the writing and acting as relationships grow is outstanding.
Not for kids but highly recommend.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
But man, I really think HBO hit another homerun with this series. I never played this or any other game and I think its to my benefit.
What a great story line and the writing and acting as relationships grow is outstanding.
I've only played the first game, which is what the season is based on. Game is phenomenal, series is great.

They expanded on a few things (Bill) and it's really benefitted the show. Super impressed.

Reactions: Gee Wally

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Never played the games, but love the show. Each episode is basically a mini standalone movie.

Reactions: Gee Wally

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Haven't watched the Last of Us yet, not sure if I will. Never played the game. The concept seems interesting but I kind of want some lighter entertainment at this point, same reason I stopped House of the Dragon after two episodes and haven't watched that new Lord of the Rings thing on Amazon, I just want a nice light comedy. I appreciate conceptual dramas but I'm tired of having to absorb bookloads of lore anytime HBO comes out with a new show.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Haven't watched the Last of Us yet, not sure if I will. Never played the game. The concept seems interesting but I kind of want some lighter entertainment at this point, same reason I stopped House of the Dragon after two episodes and haven't watched that new Lord of the Rings thing on Amazon, I just want a nice light comedy. I appreciate conceptual dramas but I'm tired of having to absorb bookloads of lore anytime HBO comes out with a new show.
You don't need to with the Last of Us honestly.

They do a good job explaining what's going on for people that haven't played the game.

It's easy to follow, there aren't a million characters to rememeber., Etc

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Just started this

Against the ropes on netflix is a feel good comedy involving wrestling.

Attachments

• C4753F9E-FBE4-4F6E-BA4E-D030ECFF9155.jpeg
    C4753F9E-FBE4-4F6E-BA4E-D030ECFF9155.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My wife and I really like "The Sinner" with Bill Pullman.

I believe all 4 seasons are on Netflix.
Dug season one but felt it got a little repetitive after that and stopped watching it. Does it get better? Maybe I'll go back and check it out again since it's been a while....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
House of the Dragon was a trash show. I wanted to stop after the first time jump but my wife liked it, so I got stuck watching the rest. It was terrible. The reason the shocking deaths in GoT were so shocking is because they spent book after book building up a character, and when they killed them off it was a big shock. In House of the Dragon, they introduced a character and then whacked them 5 minutes later, and they expected everyone to be shocked. Instead it was like, eh, who cares? What a complete money grab and crap show. I have zero plans to watch the rest of it, that's how terrible it was. The Rings show wasn't much better either. Visually it was beautiful and you can see why it cost so much to make each episode, it was just terminally boring. And I say that as a person that's currently rereading The Hobbit for what has to be the 50th time now.

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
House of the Dragon was a trash show. I wanted to stop after the first time jump but my wife liked it, so I got stuck watching the rest. It was terrible. The reason the shocking deaths in GoT were so shocking is because they spent book after book building up a character, and when they killed them off it was a big shock. In House of the Dragon, they introduced a character and then whacked them 5 minutes later, and they expected everyone to be shocked. Instead it was like, eh, who cares? What a complete money grab and crap show. I have zero plans to watch the rest of it, that's how terrible it was. The Rings show wasn't much better either. Visually it was beautiful and you can see why it cost so much to make each episode, it was just terminally boring. And I say that as a person that's currently rereading The Hobbit for what has to be the 50th time now.

I watched two episodes, I was kind of into it but I don't get very much free time over the course of a week to watch anything and it didn't captivate me enough to be a priority, I dropped off. Just through memes and reactions I ended up finding out who marries who and who kills who and whatnot, and it didn't entice me to come back and finish.

As for Lord of the Rings, I just find the whole concept off-putting and Tolkien himself would probably have hated what the producers did to his world.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I watched two episodes, I was kind of into it but I don't get very much free time over the course of a week to watch anything and it didn't captivate me enough to be a priority, I dropped off. Just through memes and reactions I ended up finding out who marries who and who kills who and whatnot, and it didn't entice me to come back and finish.

As for Lord of the Rings, I just find the whole concept off-putting and Tolkien himself would probably have hated what the producers did to his world.
The multiple time jumps and the changing out of the actors each time got to be too much. After the second one I was like WTF is this crap?

Reactions: McGarnagle

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Dug season one but felt it got a little repetitive after that and stopped watching it. Does it get better? Maybe I'll go back and check it out again since it's been a while....
It's the same general premise throughout, but I'm a sucker for those kind of shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad