The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I knew it. My megapost killed the thread. People are scared off by the depths of my TF nerdiness :laugh:

(runs away)

--------------------------

577709_10103616193685694_2629062781158569341_n.jpg

There's my nephew's haul from me (although I'm keeping the Optimus for myself). He got a bunch of other gifts which he wanted to play with first, so we didn't open any of these. Ended up taking them to my parents' place, so he can play with them when they're babysitting.

I'm hoping the video game can serve as a proverbial gateway drug.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
(runs away)

There's my nephew's haul from me (although I'm keeping the Optimus for myself). He got a bunch of other gifts which he wanted to play with first, so we didn't open any of these. Ended up taking them to my parents' place, so he can play with them when they're babysitting.

Would you consider adopting me so I could get sweet christmas hauls like that? :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have a re-issue Defensor. My Son has been destroying it for years now.

I still hate my parents for throwing out all my originals TF's.

I have all my originals, in varying shape because some of them I got 2nd hand and I played with them all heavily. But the only G1 part of Defensor I have is Hot Spot (the core/torso bot). One of my dad's co-workers kids (who was like 5-7 years older than me) had a ton of transformers, including all the other parts for Defensor. But by the time he got to be a teenager and my mom went to ask his mom if she had the toys he didn't want anymore, she'd thrown them all out.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I still have my G1 Defensor and all my other Transformers because I put them in storage when I went to school.

My mom couldn't get to them to throw them out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Played some TF Devastation finally tonight.

It's not bad. It's clear that it had an aim to appeal to specific crowds (TF fans, especially throwback G1 fans, and people that love 3D beat-em-ups like Dynasty Warriors or the other Platinum Games brawlers like MGS Revengeance, Bayonetta, etc.), so it's not likely to go out and convert guys en masse into Transformers fans. And it likely doesn't have a ton of lasting durability or replayability. But if you like those old school beat-em-up type games or want to get kids into the franchise with a game that is at least a little bit forgiving, it might work. It does look and feel like you're playing an episode of the G1 cartoon, which is a great feeling. The voice acting is a nice throwback with all the classic actors, but they also feel like they might be phoning it in a little bit.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
This thread inspired me to buy the Transformers Devastation video game.. wish there were more characters

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
(runs away)

Damn! What did that set you back? $400? I got the Armeida Megatron and Cyclonus recently and that set me back a little under $50 bucks as the Megatron was only like $23 on Amazon on cyber Monday.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
slightly better Devastator shot, in a lit kitchen. And with a regular-sized DVD case for comparison

CW_Devastator2.jpg

it's a bit blurry, but it's 1am and I was working quickly :laugh:

What did Devastator set you back? Is it something that holds up with a kid that plays rough with toys?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What did Devastator set you back? Is it something that holds up with a kid that plays rough with toys?

Dunno, it was a christmas present. I think the usual price is somewhere around $130-150, which is fair if you consider that you're basically getting 6 figures that are all about the size of a $20-25 stand-alone figure.

As for standing up to rough play, I'm not sure. It's make of pretty solid plastic, and I feel like on their own each of the constructicons might hold up well, but I dunno how great Devastator will do when it's put together because some of the connection points are small or intricate. However, a lot of transformers now have joints and components designed to purposely come off if too much force is applied so that they don't fully break, so there's that too. But I've also read that Mixmaster's transformation to the left leg can be a little fragile in what becomes the ankle joint and won't handle being over-extended.

All of that said, these aren't collector-level figures, so they have to be designed with actual kids and play in mind rather than just display, so they've gotta have passed some kind of durability test.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dunno, it was a christmas present. I think the usual price is somewhere around $130-150, which is fair if you consider that you're basically getting 6 figures that are all about the size of a $20-25 stand-alone figure.

As for standing up to rough play, I'm not sure. It's make of pretty solid plastic, and I feel like on their own each of the constructicons might hold up well, but I dunno how great Devastator will do when it's put together because some of the connection points are small or intricate. However, a lot of transformers now have joints and components designed to purposely come off if too much force is applied so that they don't fully break, so there's that too. But I've also read that Mixmaster's transformation to the left leg can be a little fragile in what becomes the ankle joint and won't handle being over-extended.

All of that said, these aren't collector-level figures, so they have to be designed with actual kids and play in mind rather than just display, so they've gotta have passed some kind of durability test.

Thanks, it would be a cool gift to give for sure. Can you buy any of them individually or only in the Devastator "kit"? How long does it take to transform them into Devastator?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Damn! What did that set you back? $400? I got the Armeida Megatron and Cyclonus recently and that set me back a little under $50 bucks as the Megatron was only like $23 on Amazon on cyber Monday.

It was a sobering exercise when I decided to put a spreadsheet together to see how much I had spent on gifts.

For the Transformers, it didn't feel that bad since I had been sitting on a bunch of those for months. So for a lot of them, I was buying them a couple at a time.

Devastator was $149 (I think something like $161 after tax) on Amazon. Menasor/Superion were probably $100ish apiece, especially after they had two online exclusive figures.

But I suppose it's worth it for the novelty. I actually had my parents open up separate boxes which contained Menasor/Superion. I enjoy the "hey, remember when you got these for me as a kid" callback.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It was a sobering exercise when I decided to put a spreadsheet together to see how much I had spent on gifts.

For the Transformers, it didn't feel that bad since I had been sitting on a bunch of those for months. So for a lot of them, I was buying them a couple at a time.

Devastator was $149 (I think something like $161 after tax) on Amazon. Menasor/Superion were probably $100ish apiece, especially after they had two online exclusive figures.

But I suppose it's worth it for the novelty. I actually had my parents open up separate boxes which contained Menasor/Superion. I enjoy the "hey, remember when you got these for me as a kid" callback.

Good on you for having the means and heart to be so generous to your family. :handclap: I just figured that it must've cost an arm and a leg since I was eyeing up Transformers as gifts for the last 3-4 months.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Sony Records to release the original Generation 1 Transformers score.

Fans have waited a long time to add the score of the original Transformers to their collections, and after a decade of legal wranglings and speculation, it looks as though Summer 2016 is finally the date when we will get to own the score of the original show that started it all!

It’s also stated that the original master tapes were in great condition, and everything is being mastered for 5.1 stereo sound.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/04/12/...iginal-generation-1-transformers-score-313980

http://www.allspark.com/2016/04/rob...ease-original-transformers-g1-musical-scores/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad