MLSE CEO "We're not here to sell jerseys. We're here to win."

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
You say that yet Mr. "Run it Back!" for the 18 millionth time is still sitting next to you after another first round exit. It took you five failures to finally accept you needed a different voice in the room.

Calling it now. They're going to run it back yet again and just claim Keefe is the change they need. And when they get bounced, all of them will be "surprise Pikachu"

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hard to justify keeping Shanahan around if that's the case.

From the outside it does appear that way, but the reality is we don’t know exactly how much of this mess is actually on Shanahan. Obviously hires are on him and there is a trickle down responsibility for the actions of those hires, but I’m talking more about his day to day influence.

The results certainly speak for themselves and I’d have fired him, but I can respect Pelley’s position that having been on the job for only 4 weeks doesn’t give him enough to know definitively removing him needs to happen right now. I’d wager a lot of people in his position ride out Shanahan’s last contract year with communication of new directives from the very top.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If I was a board member I'd have a sit down with Keith and tell him, yes in fact we are here to sell jerseys and lots of other stuff.

To be fair, if you said “we’re just here to sell jerseys” you’re going to piss off the fans and make them stop buying things. The way you get them to keep buying things is to keep giving them hope

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
To be fair, if you said “we’re just here to sell jerseys” you’re going to piss off the fans and make them stop buying things. The way you get them to keep buying things is to keep giving them hope
oh sure, I would expect my dumbass ceo who failed upwards to make empty fluff statements to the press.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
oh sure, I would expect my dumbass ceo who failed upwards to make empty fluff statements to the press.

You’re trying to sell jerseys to fair weather fans too. The people who only know who Matthews, Marner and Nylander are and only turn the game on when the team is perceived as a powerhouse. Those are the people who hear this statement and go “ya! We’re totally winning the cup next year now!”

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Good luck getting a Darren Ferris client and Captain Pajamas to waive their NMC's. You're stuck with this group until next year. Management should have listened to Dubas and considered making moves before Marner's NMC kicked in.

Reactions: Fatass

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder then words
This is key. Every single CEO/GM/Coach/whatever comes out with the "nothing short of winning is acceptable". Every single one.

But it's actions that matter. Simply saying it doesn't make it true.

If the only "major" move being made is firing Keefe, then that's not really putting words to action.

So what's your theory here, that Sheldon Keefe used a goat to escape on when he left MLSE?
I'm picturing Keefe riding out of town on a goat, holding up his middle finger as he gallops through downtown.

• Haha

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The only way that remark makes sense is basically if you're saying that you'll consider personnel changes regardless of whether that player has a 'big name' or not in the pursuit of a championship. And that strikes me as fairly sensible actually even if it's easier said than done.

The reaction of course is just people piling onto the Leafs because it's fun to do and Leafs fans being irrational. In reality of course there's no better way of selling jerseys than winning a championship. The idea that Leafs ownership/management somehow isn't interested enough in winning is pretty absurd. "Then why aren't they firing X or signing Y?" Well, probably because they view things differently than you do Mr. "There's no reason why anyone should ever take my hockey opinions seriously" Fan commenting on social media.

Winning a Cup in Toronto is worth more money than winning a Cup anywhere else. Pure greed dictates that everyone involved there is desperate to win a Cup. It just turns out that lots of teams really want to win a Cup and it's a league where simply being in a big enthusiastic market doesn't get you anything. It also turns out that getting a core of young talented players only takes you so far toward the Cup.. But the idea that the organization isn't trying hard enough is pretty crazy given how strong their incentives are. Maybe you can point fingers at individual players, but yeah..I'm sure TML management is just trying to sell jerseys because they hate money and love turning on the radio and listening to people calling them morons for two hours straight every day.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Funny thing is you know they paid some PR company to run analytics on the social media/message board chatter re: Toronto FO/ownership, and that statement was a 100% calculated response to one of their most common criticisms

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Funny thing is you know they paid some PR company to run analytics on the social media/message board chatter re: Toronto FO/ownership, and that statement was a 100% calculated response to one of their most common criticisms
Yup. Suits don’t say much without an angle.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

“We’re not here to sell jerseys, only to see diehards throw them on the ice in disgust after another disappointing season. We’d have to replace those fans with unfeeling high-paying corporate fat cats who just don’t care much, and we certainly don’t want that. And we don’t want that first fan to have to purchase a new jersey when they foolishly buy in again.” Ya, bit wordy and.. accidentally too honest/revealing.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
0c1c53cc-daae-4952-b83d-964d5942a558_text.gif

images

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad