The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sony Records to release the original Generation 1 Transformers score.

Fans have waited a long time to add the score of the original Transformers to their collections, and after a decade of legal wranglings and speculation, it looks as though Summer 2016 is finally the date when we will get to own the score of the original show that started it all!

It’s also stated that the original master tapes were in great condition, and everything is being mastered for 5.1 stereo sound.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/04/12/...iginal-generation-1-transformers-score-313980

http://www.allspark.com/2016/04/rob...ease-original-transformers-g1-musical-scores/

Neat.

I have the Transformers Prime score and the TF: The Movie (animated 80s) soundtrack which includes its score. Both are amazing.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Fun fact!

Beast Wars premiered 20 years ago today (April 22, 1996) with the airing of, fittingly enough, Beast Wars (Part 1).

Strongly considering a Beast Wars re-watch/series binge in honor of that. Admittedly the CGI has aged horribly, but the series was still very strong after about the first half of season 1.

Because it's honestly not spoilers for a series that's like 17-20 years old:

Side note: BW Megatron was clearly the best Megatron.

Also the TF wiki says that the 1st season of Beast Wars cost $18 million to create. That's just about $700k per episode for the 26 episode run (which explains why the 2nd and 3rd seasons were half that, at 13 episodes apiece), and translates to about $26 million in 2016 dollars.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Pure Energon – an unreleased Transformers-themed concept album by Prince

Following the sudden passing of Prince in April 2016, much speculation has arisen about Prince’s legendary vault, which is known to have contained unreleased projects by the star across all forms of media.

According to an article on Aux, among the items in the vault was something called Pure Energon, described as a Transformers-themed concept album made as a collaboration with the band, the Information Society.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/05/06/...ansformers-themed-concept-album-prince-315009

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
May 8, 1984: Marvel released Transformers #1, which was the very first piece of Transformers anything (toy, comic, cartoon, any of it)

So this day, more than anything, is the 32nd anniversary of The Transformers franchise. (going by eastern time since it's still May 7 here on the west coast)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
May 8, 1984: Marvel released Transformers #1, which was the very first piece of Transformers anything (toy, comic, cartoon, any of it)

So this day, more than anything, is the 32nd anniversary of The Transformers franchise. (going by eastern time since it's still May 7 here on the west coast)

I remember buying that comic.

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Pure Energon – an unreleased Transformers-themed concept album by Prince

Following the sudden passing of Prince in April 2016, much speculation has arisen about Prince’s legendary vault, which is known to have contained unreleased projects by the star across all forms of media.

According to an article on Aux, among the items in the vault was something called Pure Energon, described as a Transformers-themed concept album made as a collaboration with the band, the Information Society.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/05/06/...ansformers-themed-concept-album-prince-315009

I'll pay big money for a copy of this!
If it's half as good as the Batman soundtrack I'll be delirious.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Shout! Factory Brings Home Transformers – The Movie 30th Anniversary Edition

In honor of the 30th anniversary of Transformers – The Movie, the beloved animated feature will be newly remastered and transferred in HD from the original 35mm elements.

A full-range of bonus content and collectible packaging are currently in development. Shout! Factory plans an aggressive rollout of Transformers – The Movie 30th Anniversary Edition on September 13, 2016.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...ansformers-the-movie-30th-anniversary-edition

TFMovie-key-art.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A full-range of bonus content and collectible packaging are currently in development. Shout! Factory plans an aggressive rollout of Transformers – The Movie 30th Anniversary Edition on September 13, 2016.

My birthday is September 16th. w00t.

I'm sure I've told this story in this thread, but I always feel the need to share it.

My family was never the type to go to the theater when I was a kid. So I had to wait for Transformers: The Movie to come out on VHS. Finally was able to rent it, but some jerk taped over it with Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Back in 1987/88, our town only had that one video rental store so I was SOL.

Fast forward to ~1999 and I've spotted how much my Fortress Maximus was fetching on eBay. Being a poor college student, I decided to sell it to fund some other activities. So I ended up dragging FortMax back down with me after winter break and it was in my college dorm for a few weeks before I sold it.

Meanwhile my roommate had a friend visiting who spotted it and we started talking Transformers. I mentioned how I never got to see the movie and the guy excitedly says "I have it with me!" He then pulls out the VHS from his backpack.

1) I'm excited because I can finally watch it.
2) I'm very weirded out that this guy travels with a copy of Transformers: The Movie.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I've bought the movie twice on dvd now for the 20th and 25th anniversaries. I'm not sure I can justify buying it again unless they have some amazing extras or manage to do something outstanding in the remaster process.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I've bought the movie twice on dvd now for the 20th and 25th anniversaries. I'm not sure I can justify buying it again unless they have some amazing extras or manage to do something outstanding in the remaster process.

I did as well, but I think I'm the sucker that'll get the 30th anniversary. I can give the 20th anniversary to my nephew. I gave the first one away after I got the 'upgraded' version.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was wrong. I have the 20th anniversary one, and a pre-aniversary one made by Rhino when they had the tv show rights (I have that dvd box set of the series and the newer Shout Factory one too. The rhino releases sucked, with awful transfers of the episodes and a lot of unnecssary "fixes" that made things worse)

The 20th anniversary DVD is actually pretty good. You get the film in widescreen and fullscreen and some nice extras including a pop-up trivia track and a somewhat interesting creator commentary track where writer Flint Dille and VA Susan Blu (Arcee) talk about making the show, while director Nelson Shin makes occasional random comments about nothing while sounding like he's watching a completely different movie.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I was wrong. I have the 20th anniversary one, and a pre-aniversary one made by Rhino when they had the tv show rights (I have that dvd box set of the series and the newer Shout Factory one too. The rhino releases sucked, with awful transfers of the episodes and a lot of unnecssary "fixes" that made things worse)

The 20th anniversary DVD is actually pretty good. You get the film in widescreen and fullscreen and some nice extras including a pop-up trivia track and a somewhat interesting creator commentary track where writer Flint Dille and VA Susan Blu (Arcee) talk about making the show, while director Nelson Shin makes occasional random comments about nothing while sounding like he's watching a completely different movie.

I have this version as well.

I'll still get the 30th Anniversary version just for nostalgia sake!

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Fun fact!

Beast Wars premiered 20 years ago today (April 22, 1996) with the airing of, fittingly enough, Beast Wars (Part 1).

Strongly considering a Beast Wars re-watch/series binge in honor of that. Admittedly the CGI has aged horribly, but the series was still very strong after about the first half of season 1.

Because it's honestly not spoilers for a series that's like 17-20 years old:

Side note: BW Megatron was clearly the best Megatron.

Also the TF wiki says that the 1st season of Beast Wars cost $18 million to create. That's just about $700k per episode for the 26 episode run (which explains why the 2nd and 3rd seasons were half that, at 13 episodes apiece), and translates to about $26 million in 2016 dollars.

I remember watching Code of Hero for the first time and not really understanding the significance of what Dinobot was doing until years later. A TV geared for kids has one of the main protagonists attempting suicide due to his depressed state induced by his belief that he is a failure. I look back on it now and holy crap was that dark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad