The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I remember watching Code of Hero for the first time and not really understanding the significance of what Dinobot was doing until years later. A TV geared for kids has one of the main protagonists attempting suicide due to his depressed state induced by his belief that he is a failure. I look back on it now and holy crap was that dark.

What? you mean kids weren't keen on watching characters deal with existential crises and pondering the nature of fatalism while quoting Shakespeare? :sarcasm:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Getting extended scenes that were cut from the movie?

I don't think any scenes like that exist anymore. There was a restoration of some scenes that were in the original release that were cut from a lot of VHS movie releases (things like the swear word scenes), but most talk since then about scenes that may have been planned for the movie were that they never got past the storyboarding stage, if even that far. And most of those were planned additional death scenes like Shockwave (crushed by Unicron after transforming and landing on Cybertron) or Red Alert (gets shot by Devastator).

Even the multiple aspect ratios setup isn't new. The last Shout Factory release came in a widescreen and fullscreen version, along with a pair of audio commentaries (one with admins from some of the bigger TF fansites, and one with head writer Flint Dille, cast member/voice director Susan Blu. and director Nelson Shin), a pop-up trivia track, some convention material, and a few other minor things.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I don't think any scenes like that exist anymore. There was a restoration of some scenes that were in the original release that were cut from a lot of VHS movie releases (things like the swear word scenes), but most talk since then about scenes that may have been planned for the movie were that they never got past the storyboarding stage, if even that far. And most of those were planned additional death scenes like Shockwave (crushed by Unicron after transforming and landing on Cybertron) or Red Alert (gets shot by Devastator).

Even the multiple aspect ratios setup isn't new. The last Shout Factory release came in a widescreen and fullscreen version, along with a pair of audio commentaries (one with admins from some of the bigger TF fansites, and one with head writer Flint Dille, cast member/voice director Susan Blu. and director Nelson Shin), a pop-up trivia track, some convention material, and a few other minor things.

Yea...I would have liked to see all that. Especially the scene that most of the autobots like Wheel jack got killed in the tunnel that I have heard about.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Video talking about the color restoration that was done for the upcoming bluray that supposedly wasn't there for the VHS/DVD transfers.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My birthday is September 16th. w00t.

I'm sure I've told this story in this thread, but I always feel the need to share it.

My family was never the type to go to the theater when I was a kid. So I had to wait for Transformers: The Movie to come out on VHS. Finally was able to rent it, but some jerk taped over it with Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Back in 1987/88, our town only had that one video rental store so I was SOL.

Fast forward to ~1999 and I've spotted how much my Fortress Maximus was fetching on eBay. Being a poor college student, I decided to sell it to fund some other activities. So I ended up dragging FortMax back down with me after winter break and it was in my college dorm for a few weeks before I sold it.

Meanwhile my roommate had a friend visiting who spotted it and we started talking Transformers. I mentioned how I never got to see the movie and the guy excitedly says "I have it with me!" He then pulls out the VHS from his backpack.

1) I'm excited because I can finally watch it.
2) I'm very weirded out that this guy travels with a copy of Transformers: The Movie.

Bah-weep-graaaaagnah wheep nini bong.

30th anniversary edition comes out today. I'm travelling to SF and Vegas for my birthday. As a nod to my college roommate's weird friend, I think I'm gonna travel with a copy of the movie.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The superfans at Transformers @ The Moon have recently hit a veritable mother lode of Transformers history.

They have obtained a series of tapes, containing the original recording sessions of the Transformers cartoons.

These tapes contain the “unslugged” dialog – that is, they contain never before heard dialog for the original Sunbow Transformers cartoons.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/09/30/...eserved-meets-eye-part-1-deleted-audio-325613

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Semi-limited number of Fortress Maximuses going for $75 from Hasbro's ebay site: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformer...ess-Maximus-/322232766754?hash=item4b0691d122

I bought one at Toys R Us a few months back for $149. Then Amazon had it for $105 (currently $99), so I bought another and returned the first one. Now I'm debating returning the one I got from Amazon.

Although the box I got from Amazon was pristine while the TRU box had a couple dented corners. For hypothetical re-sale/collecting purposes, I might keep the Amazon one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00