GDT: THE TRADE DEADLINE: Honors in Chemistry, or Bad Medicine?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Something going on with Wennberg for sure. There's no way Tortorella would willingly scratch Wennberg over Duclair, who is playing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Go look at defenseman contracts. Lots of worse players at 5M+. Alzner, Ellis, Shatty, et al just recently signed worse deals, for example. Dmen get paid. They also fetch a premium at the deadline.
If Goose was a UFA today, what would he get on a 2 year deal, the balance of his current contract. $3.5 maybe $4 mill? That is the amount he is over paid. He isn't a top 3D on most teams but he isn't your 6th best. I would say his value is as a 4D to 5D. What do you pay him for 2 years?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I'd say Three times.

Vancouver fans still kinda hate his guts. All the Tampa stuff was documented at the time.
But the one sort of lost to history is when he first came here from Chicago. I remember when we traded for him the chief criticism of Vrby was he'd do nothing but chuck pucks into goalie chest protectors. It looked like he was regressing in his 2nd year there. Then Playing with Hanzal he was all the sudden a 27 goal top shelf sniper. Go figure :laugh:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So where would you play either of Goligiski or Demers in TML top 4?? And I wrote both. But to be really honest TML aren't really that good when you consider how bad their D play against top teams so I guess you are correct.
How'd I know that you would come out swinging for the Leafs??:laugh:

Reactions: Jakey53 and doaner

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think the numbers issue start with the digits beside the dollar sign on his salary and ends with his goals and assists.
Haha highly probable. Wonder if he holds any value? So hard to tell these days.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Something going on with Wennberg for sure. There's no way Tortorella would willingly scratch Wennberg over Duclair, who is playing.

Duke with 2 assists today. Torts junkyard motivation techniques are working.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
We're what, 1 point out of playoff contention with both of them in our top 4 and an injury depleted cast?

Are Gardiner and Muzzin good enough to carry the Leafs offense if Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, and Nylander are out?

Are you a bad team if you make the playoffs? Is your D bad if you have the best PK in the league?

Is your defense bad if you're 11th in the league in GA?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
From the desert to the Garden: Keith Yandle’s trade...

Yandle wanted to finish his career here apparently.

I'm not sure of the length limit of paywall articles, so if it needs to be trimmed that's cool .

" Keith Yandle had heard the trade rumors for years.

Yet in 2015, with the Arizona Coyotes struggling through another rough season on and off the ice, the star defenseman knew he could be the next one out when the NHL trade deadline hit.

Only Yandle wanted to stay.

Shane Doan was drafted by Winnipeg in 1995, played his rookie season there, then moved to Arizona with the franchise in 1996. Doan spent the entirety of his 21-year career with the organization, the final 20 of which came in the desert.

When Doan eventually retired, if Yandle was still around, he would take over as team captain.

That sounded pretty good to Yandle."

Reactions: RemoAZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It is more of an off-season type trade but I noticed that Zetterberg’s salary drops to 1 mil for the next two seasons starting next year. Cap hit is 6.1 mil. Sounds like the perfect contract for us with the rising floor. He’d only be owed $200,000 once you factor in insurance. I wonder what Detroit would be willing to give up in order to move him.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
From the desert to the Garden: Keith Yandle’s trade...

Yandle wanted to finish his career here apparently.

I'm not sure of the length limit of paywall articles, so if it needs to be trimmed that's cool .

" Keith Yandle had heard the trade rumors for years.

Yet in 2015, with the Arizona Coyotes struggling through another rough season on and off the ice, the star defenseman knew he could be the next one out when the NHL trade deadline hit.

Only Yandle wanted to stay.

Shane Doan was drafted by Winnipeg in 1995, played his rookie season there, then moved to Arizona with the franchise in 1996. Doan spent the entirety of his 21-year career with the organization, the final 20 of which came in the desert.

When Doan eventually retired, if Yandle was still around, he would take over as team captain.

That sounded pretty good to Yandle."
Thanks for making me sick to my stomach. Ugh...hated the trade then, REALLY f***ing hate it now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yandle is tough. We don’t get Chychrun without the trade so I support the deal. But I don’t know why we didn’t go after Yandle in free agency instead of Goligoski especially with Tippett having a say in hockey operations at the time.
Yeah that's a tough one. He may not have wanted to come back. He mentions later on that Florida was his top choice, so I wonder if being traded pissed him off, or he saw that other teams with actual owners can do more for their players.

Or we didn't pursue him for some stupid ass reason.

Reactions: _Del_

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad