GDT: THE TRADE DEADLINE: Honors in Chemistry, or Bad Medicine?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
COYOTES PENDING UFA:

Richard Panik
Jordan Weal
Mario Kempe
Jordan Oesterle
Calvin Pickard
David Ullstrom
Dakota Mermis (G6)
Robbie Russo (G6)

COYOTES DRAFT ASSETS:
2019 1st round pick
2019 2nd round pick
2019 3rd round pick
2019 3rd round pick (Chicago Blackhawks)
2019 4th round pick
2019 6th round pick (Pittsburgh Penguins)
2019 6th round pick - CONDITIONAL (Columbus Blue Jackets)**
2019 7th round pick - CONDITIONAL***

** changes to 2020 5th round draft pick if Ryan MacInnis plays 20 games in NHL this season for Columbus
*** traded to Detroit, but requires Robbie Russo to play 30 NHL games to transfer to Red Wings

Source: CapFriendly

Reactions: MIG

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Panik is probably gone. I'd prefer they sign him, but if they aren't close numbers wise or they want to move on, it's not exactly heartbreaking.
Oesterle probably stays.

I think we make a straight hockey trade, maybe even a surprise "buy" move in addition to whatever is going to happen to those two.

Can't imagine there is a market for any of the other UFA or spare parts.

Would not mind a Goligoski trade if it involves us adding an NHL-ready player.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Shouldn't matter at all. We're already in fantasyland if we're thinking playoffs. We need to solidify the roster so next year doesn't have us with AHL players playing significant numbers of games. So I'm not even against a "buy" as long as we don't do something stupid/desperate.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Shouldn't matter at all. We're already in fantasyland if we're thinking playoffs. We need to solidify the roster so next year doesn't have us with AHL players playing significant numbers of games. So I'm not even against a "buy" as long as we don't do something stupid/desperate.

The next 3 games could be the difference between the 8 spot and last place. It's unusual for the standings to be this tight at the deadline.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
How much will the next 3 games influence GMJC?

I don't see Chayka as not having a plan of attack or already in discussions at this point, probably. But I can imagine if they lose against EDM tonight then it's over, imo... especially Van in the next game. If they lose to our direct competition then the playoffs are officially gonzo. That's just my opinion... I think Chayka already has his ideas, though.

It's already a long shot, so the team can't afford to drop games against teams they are battling with.

I'm also all for a hockey trade type "buy". Not anything like getting rid of quality players for rentals... but for quality next season and beyond I'm always open for that.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The next 3 games could be the difference between the 8 spot and last place. It's unusual for the standings to be this tight at the deadline.​

It still shouldn't matter. It would be a very Coyote thing to do to make a desperation trade in the slim hopes of making the playoffs. If someone wants to pay up for anyone in this group, everyone should be available. At the same time we should be adding to the talent pool.
This should be an "asset management" deadline. Just find good deals. If that's shipping a UFA we don't intend to resign for futures or other assets, fine. If that's adding a slightly overpaid second or thirdline winger for a reasonable price in futures, fine. If it's trading D for a forward, also fine.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't see Chayka as not having a plan of attack or already in discussions at this point, probably. But I can imagine if they lose against EDM tonight then it's over, imo... especially Van in the next game. If they lose to our direct competition then the playoffs are officially gonzo. That's just my opinion... I think Chayka already has his ideas, though.

It's already a long shot, so the team can't afford to drop games against teams they are battling with.

I'm also all for a hockey trade type "buy". Not anything like getting rid of quality players for rentals... but for quality next season and beyond I'm always open for that.

Since we are not technically in full blown rebuild mode, and we (think) we know that the owner wants to win now, any move should be designed to improve the team in the near term.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Since we are not technically in full blown rebuild mode, and we (think) we know that the owner wants to win now, any move should be designed to improve the team in the near term.

Yea. I think near team/near future is most likely. I don't foresee any pure rental type acquisitions, though. But hey, Chayka is a gm of surprises sometimes!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm going to predict:

1) Fischer for Burakovsky
2) Panik and a 3rd (we have 2) for Vanek
3) Some random Tucson trades, as always

So we'd have:

Galchenyuk - Dvorak - Keller
Burakovsky - Stepan - Vanek
Grabner - Richardson - Garland
Crouse - Cousins - Hinostroza

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm going to predict:

So we'd have:

Trading Schmaltz for Tucson help? I know his D is AHL caliber, but ..!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If we lose the next 2, Panik could be gone. If we win the next 2, I only see a move to help the club in a playoff push but that move won't be about giving up futures. I think we stand pat mostly, maybe something minor.

I think in general, Chayka has made more than his fair share of trades. He isn't smarter than anyone else, and constant moves can effect chemistry. Hockey is the ultimate team sport, so moving players in and out constantly can have a negative effect. Lets go with what we have the rest of the way.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I'm going to predict:

Maybe we can make a shot for Brooks Macek. He is one of the highest scoring AHL players at the moment. Could be a good addition.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we lose the next 2, Panik could be gone. If we win the next 2, I only see a move to help the club in a playoff push but that move won't be about giving up futures. I think we stand pat mostly, maybe something minor.

I think in general, Chayka has made more than his fair share of trades. He isn't smarter than anyone else, and constant moves can effect chemistry. Hockey is the ultimate team sport, so moving players in and out constantly can have a negative effect. Lets go with what we have the rest of the way.
I would be shocked if Chayka only does something minor. He always seems to do a deal out of left field.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm going to predict:

So we'd have:

#2 makes no sense. I don't see up giving up on Fischer.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My thinking is Vanek is a low cost way to add some scoring. Panik goes to Detroit to move out money and give Detroit a warm body. Or they can move him for another pick.

If we’re still in the thick of it I’d throw away a third rounder for some scoring depth. If we really want to recouperate the lost pick, trade a Tuscon guy like Cam Dineen on the draft floor and we’re back even.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
What about something around Goligoski and Schwartz? Goligoski + Panic (50%) for Schwartz? They bolster their blue line and maintain a productiveish winger, we get the player with a higher ceiling and better age at 26.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What about something around Goligoski and Schwartz? Goligoski + Panic (50%) for Schwartz? They bolster their blue line and maintain a productiveish winger, we get the player with a higher ceiling and better age at 26.
Do you mean Jaden Schwartz? Of the St. Louis Blues? He’s 26 years old and has a career 0.70ppg game in the NHL. His value is three to four times higher than the combination of Goligoski and Panik with max retention. You’d have to add a top 10 protected 2019 1st (defers to next draft with no conditions) to start. That’s still not enough, though. Probably a conditional second in whatever draft the first isn’t.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Do you mean Jaden Schwartz? Of the St. Louis Blues? He’s 26 years old and has a career 0.70ppg game in the NHL. His value is three to four times higher than the combination of Goligoski and Panik with max retention. You’d have to add a top 10 protected 2019 1st (defers to next draft with no conditions) to start. That’s still not enough, though. Probably a conditional second in whatever draft the first isn’t.
Yes that Schwartz.

His production this year has been pretty poor, relative to past seasons. The conditional first is about as far as I'd be willing to go. I can't imagine Goligoski's value is so bad that Schwartz triples it. If that wasn't enough then I'd just take my chances with FA, I don't like him THAT much.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think Goligoski is worth a pick in the 50s. I think Panik is worth a triple digit pick.
You might be right, and Goligoski is no peach, but relative to a lot of "available" D, I'd say he's on the higher end. I'd think that fetches him a slight premium. Panik I think has more value than we think too.

I've ragged on both pretty heavily so this isn't some bias, they have warts. I am starting to think that maybe we are too hard on these guys and more often than not, asking for too much on the ice from them, Panik in particular. Maybe it's just me being soft for whatever reason and it's effecting my judgment on value. If you asked me at the beginning of the year what I'd take for Goligoski I'd have been happy with a 3rd. I'm beginning to wonder if in this market, maybe he's worth a late first plus. A lot are saying this is a buyers market, I think they're wrong this year. The west is just too close and I think the temptation is going to make some GMs stand on guys they would have otherwise moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad