GDT: THE TRADE DEADLINE: Honors in Chemistry, or Bad Medicine?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Zucker at 5.5M is a little steep. He's also 27. I like him, but I am not sure how much I would part with for him. What would be a suitable offer?
He’s got 24g per 82gp in the NHL so far. He turned 27 four weeks ago. I think he’s got a pretty darn good contract. Minnesota seems to want to trade mid-tier players with large contracts like Coyle and Zucker for cheaper, younger players, though. Maybe they’re going to offersheet Marner? Go hard after Duchene or Stone? Not sure.

Anyway, I’d be happy giving up a lot for Zucker. He’s just what we need.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
He’s got 24g per 82gp in the NHL so far. He turned 27 four weeks ago. I think he’s got a pretty darn good contract. Minnesota seems to want to trade mid-tier players with large contracts like Coyle and Zucker for cheaper, younger players, though. Maybe they’re going to offersheet Marner? Go hard after Duchene or Stone? Not sure.

Anyway, I’d be happy giving up a lot for Zucker. He’s just what we need.

Thats what I am asking you, though. I think you're more knowledgable when it comes to gauging value.

Are we talking Christian Fischer and a 2nd type deal? More? Less?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thats what I am asking you, though. I think you're more knowledgable when it comes to gauging value.

Are we talking Christian Fischer and a 2nd type deal? More? Less?
I’d definitely be okay with paying that price. I think they might want more, or a different look out of the package, though. I just started a “value-of” thread on the main board to see what Minny fans think.

Reactions: SR

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
Just saw Smith-pelly placed on waivers... What's the deal there? Thought he filled in ok for wilson during the playoffs last year

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I’d definitely be okay with paying that price. I think they might want more, or a different look out of the package, though. I just started a “value-of” thread on the main board to see what Minny fans think.
I suspect it costs a bit more than Fischer and a second.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

I'm so torn here. I think Fischer is having his worst season he will ever have. But it's still a gamble that he ever becomes what Zucker is. I think Zucker is his ceiling too. I dondo like giving up on prospects as soon as we have been either, but Zucker would bring a lot of what we need now. I don't think we would be in the Stone/Duchene race this off-season, we can probably only afford to add another 5-7m guy not and 8+. So while I would love the add him, I wish we were the team that got Nino or Coyle for the pennies rather than spending .75 cents on Zucker and think we may be better off waiting to see if Fischer can develop that way.

I think you guys are right that Minnesota is trying to get rid of their expensive top 9 guys to get a Duchene or Stone. I think they are clearly not trying to add for this season (so no Goligoski). Is Hino and a 2nd close?

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Just saw Smith-pelly placed on waivers... What's the deal there? Thought he filled in ok for wilson during the playoffs last year

Very hot and cold. Not just offense, but effort. Not ideal for a "heavy" bottom six guy. Expiring contract so waiving him gives him a chance to tryout somewhere.
Wanted him a few years ago when he was bouncing around. Not as much interest now unless we're not resigning Cousins, Weal, Panik, etc
Would love to add some heft though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he's not in the plans next year, he should be gone at the deadline.
Same with all the UFA's.

I disagree. The deal has to be worth making your team less competitive in the short term. Unless they meet your price he stays. Simple as that. I'm happy letting him walk at the end of the season and getting an open contract slot.

We are too close to the playoffs. We can just use him as our own rental. He is gone either now or in three months. No harm done keeping him if he’s only going to fetch a 3rd
I'm on the fence here. I like Panik, a perfect third liner who can play on the second if needed. He has played above his pay grade, like many others on this team. He won't be the reason we do or do not make the playoffs this year, so if Chayka likes him for next year, I don't trade him, but if he isn't in the plans, I trade him. I know a third may not be much, but you add a second to that you suddenly have something to trade. Good scouting teams love picks no matter where they are, so picks are valuable.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm on the fence here. I like Panik, a perfect third liner who can play on the second if needed. He has played above his pay grade, like many others on this team. He won't be the reason we do or do not make the playoffs this year, so if Chayka likes him for next year, I don't trade him, but if he isn't in the plans, I trade him. I know a third may not be much, but you add a second to that you suddenly have something to trade. Good scouting teams love picks no matter where they are, so picks are valuable.
Panik is one of our best 5 on 5 forwards this year (statistically), and can play in all situations. Trading him for a second or later pick hurts our playoff chances, its not going to happen. If we make the playoffs, Chayka definitely keeps his job. If we miss, new ownership or not, Chayka could be gone, that is why he won't be traded.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Panik is one of our best 5 on 5 forwards this year (statistically), and can play in all situations. Trading him for a second or later pick hurts our playoff chances, its not going to happen. If we make the playoffs, Chayka definitely keeps his job. If we miss, new ownership or not, Chayka could be gone, that is why he won't be traded.
I guess we will know in a couple of days.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
More interesting to me was that he's in Toronto tonight. They're playing the Capitals, so another look at Burakovsky.

He said he's back in Vancouver today. So it seems that yesterday he spent some time in Philadelphia and in Toronto. Sounds like he was either spending some time watching players in practice, engaging in face-to-face conversations, or maybe watching the minor league

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
My prediction is that nothing happens, given plenty of other teams will be either buyers or sellers and the market will be much more active this year.

I would however like to see us upgrade our top 6 and get another RHD.

Goligoski and Demers can go, KCONN can go.

Bush and Mermis should stay. I'd like Fischer to stay unless we get a large upgrade on him. Our first needs to stay until the draft, at which point I have no problem keeping it or trading it.

I'd like Richardson to stay, Panik can stay. Archibald has been surprisingly good this year, I would sell high on him. Kempe can go or stay, doesn't really matter to me.

If we can trade Stepan for a good RHD or a more promising forward than him, I wouldn't mind it, but I'd be picky about who it is. No package deals, unless it's superb overpayment.

For once i'm perfectly happy with our top 6 next year, just need to avoid injuries - i'd like another RHD but I think we can do alright without one.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Stepan should be untouchable until we have something else at center. You move him and we have Richardson playing 1C until Dvo is ready.

I'd keep Demers too as the contract is fair and he's our only natural RD. Decent chemistry with OEL. Only way I move Demers is if we get a top-flight top pairing RD, which would make Demers a very expensive bottom pairing RD behind Hammer.

As far as Washington ... they are right up against the cap, so I imagine they're going to want an ELC back for Burakovsky. Can't really do a player for player deal unless they want Panik+.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In last 31 thoughts podcast Friedman made a connection with AZ to Huberdeau but that likely isn’t happening until summer and that night s likely contingent on them signing Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad