GDT: THE TRADE DEADLINE: Honors in Chemistry, or Bad Medicine?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Haven't seen him linked here. He's not very sticky. But he's fast.

Feb 12, 2003
In last 31 thoughts podcast Friedman made a connection with AZ to Huberdeau but that likely isn’t happening until summer and that night s likely contingent on them signing Panarin.
As Fried said, there are a lot of teams in on someone like that, as he still has term a team like the Coyotes would be interested. I would not say it was a direct connect. Just saying that is the type of player that the Coyotes or Habs would be looking at.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Haven't seen him linked here. He's not very sticky. But he's fast.

LeBrun last month, in The Athletic.

Teams are calling and the reigning Cup champs are certainly listening to their offers. The 23-year-old winger has fallen out of favour this season in Washington, having been scratched on multiple occasions. But he’s also a first-round pick (23rd overall in 2013) with obvious talent.
Arizona, Vancouver, Colorado and Dallas are among the teams that I believe have looked at him but I think that’s just scratching the surface. There would be other teams that would at least inquire. It’s a situation that screams change of scenery. Teams love a buy-low opportunity with a guy that has a ceiling.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I wouldn't mind playing Gally and Schmaltz at center, or at least trying it. Ideally you package Stepan and something else for a Duchene, Turris, etc type though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't mind playing Gally and Schmaltz at center, or at least trying it. Ideally you package Stepan and something else for a Duchene, Turris, etc type though.
Under no uncertain terms would we ever consider trading for Turris.

I like a Stepan. He’s been a good player for AZ.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Sinurgy

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka did a long Q&A with Morgan. I just skimmed it, but some key takeaways:

- Chayka says there is a lot of "inventory" in talks right now -- most discussions he's ever had at the deadline
- Describes the team's defensive depth, particularly in Tucson, as attractive assets; a lot of teams looking for young defensemen
- Sounds like he's thinking about another Hossa/Bolland type move at some point, maybe in the summer when cap floor is an issue?
- Looking to acquire a player with term
- Not looking to get a rental UFA unless he thinks he can sign that player
- Looking to add to the group, not really looking to subtract
- Says Hayton is the best 200-foot center outside of the NHL right now

That 4th point is most interesting I think. I wouldn't describe a pending RFA (like Burakovsky) as a player "with term". So who's he looking at? The only teams that will be moving valuable players with term are the bottom feeders. Maybe someone like Hoffman??

Last edited:
Reactions: MIG

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chayka did a long Q&A with Morgan. I just skimmed it, but some key takeaways:

- Chayka says there is a lot of "inventory" in talks right now -- most discussions he's ever had the deadline
- Describes the team's defensive depth, particularly in Tucson, as attractive assets; a lot of teams looking for young defensemen
- Sounds like he's thinking about another Hossa/Bolland type move at some point, maybe in the summer when cap floor is an issue?
- Looking to acquire a player with term
- Not looking to get a rental UFA unless he thinks he can sign that player
- Looking to add to the group, not really looking to subtract
- Says Hayton is the best 200-foot center outside of the NHL right now

That 4th point is most interesting I think. I wouldn't describe a pending RFA (like Burakovsky) as a player "with term". So who's he looking at? The only teams that will be moving valuable players with term are the bottom feeders. Maybe someone like Hoffman??
Huberdeau.

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
With us now only being 1 points off the playoffs and realistically only 8th spot to play for because Dallas in 7th will probably kick on I think we should add maybe a bottom 6 veteran at best and not make a major move maybe trade away a 3rd and 6th to aquire a pending ifs veteran.

With the Panik situation if we can get a 2nd or high 3rd then I’d keep him and see if he kicks on and adds a few goals, he to me is a minimal risk trade.

Reactions: Edenjung

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'd love it but I don't think we have the pieces.
Might not take as much as you think. Florida has put it out there that they intend to make a run at Bobrovski and Panarin, they will need the Cap Space if successful. I wonder if taking away one of their goalie contracts could get someone Huberdeau for little??? We could eat one if we traded Keumper.

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
Is POJ ready for the NHL next year? What's his ceiling? I don't follow our prospects as much as I'd want to.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm guessing that people who think POJ is untouchable feel the same way about OEL and Chychrun.

I don't think that's a reasonable stance IF you want to see upgrades by trade.

This. While I've never been high on POJ, I also don't see a spot for him long term. Our LD for the next decade should be OEL and Chychrun. Doesn't make much sense to use POJ as the 3LD.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This. While I've never been high on POJ, I also don't see a spot for him long term. Our LD for the next decade should be OEL and Chychrun. Doesn't make much sense to use POJ as the 3LD.
Especially if we draft Bryam.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
POJ has to be viewed as one of our best trade chips. I feel its silly to say a prospect with a rather unknown ceiling is untouchable. Especially for someone like Huberdeau. He would instantly make this line up better for the next four plus years.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Been thinking about "guys with term" on bottom feeders. Here's a list of all of the (potentially realistic) possibilities I see. I'm not counting term guys on playoff/bubble teams (ie Wennberg) because that deal seems highly unlikely at the deadline. Maybe closer to the draft. Anyway:

Boedker
Zach Smith
Pageau
Palmieri
Miles Wood
Hall
Zibanejad
Kreider
Namestnikov
Huberdeau
Hoffman
JVR
Okposo
Sheary
Carter
Toffoli
RNH
Henrique
Zucker (if Minny sells)

Obviously some are far more realistic than others, but some interesting possibilities nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad