GDT: THE TRADE DEADLINE: Honors in Chemistry, or Bad Medicine?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't mind any of the UFA's being dealt but other then that I'd rather they skip the deadline.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Minny is really thinking of blowing it up, and is really looking for a hockey deal that provides flexibility without killing the roster, and is really much more interested is pro-prospects rather than picks, I do wonder if we couldn’t put together a package for Zucker that meets those requirements. I don’t know how many teams could, given that it’s basically an impossible criteria they’ve set forth.

They really need a top four D with Dumba injured for the rest of the season. Goligoski can play either LD or RD. I believe Brodin can too. I think Goligoski would be a good fit for their needs and I think he’d waive to go home.

We have some young roster forwards that could potentially be expended in a deal for a legit top six scoring threat like Zucker. Fischer or Crouse should be interesting to the Wild given they want to get younger but stay relevant. Then we have a recent 1st rounder and a recent 2nd rounder already playing pro and potentially close to NHL ready in Nick Merkley and Filip Westerlund.

They’ve got some expensive depth players that would help bring some elements our team is missing in Foligno and Pateryn. That could give them some additional flexibility. There could be a fit on this.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If Minny is really thinking of blowing it up, and is really looking for a hockey deal that provides flexibility without killing the roster, and is really much more interested is pro-prospects rather than picks, I do wonder if we couldn’t put together a package for Zucker that meets those requirements. I don’t know how many teams could, given that it’s basically an impossible criteria they’ve set forth.

They really need a top four D with Dumba injured for the rest of the season. Goligoski can play either LD or RD. I believe Brodin can too. I think Goligoski would be a good fit for their needs and I think he’d waive to go home.

We have some young roster forwards that could potentially be expended in a deal for a legit top six scoring threat like Zucker. Fischer or Crouse should be interesting to the Wild given they want to get younger but stay relevant. Then we have a recent 1st rounder and a recent 2nd rounder already playing pro and potentially close to NHL ready in Nick Merkley and Filip Westerlund.

They’ve got some expensive depth players that would help bring some elements our team is missing in Foligno and Pateryn. That could give them some additional flexibility. There could be a fit on this.
They will make changes this summer, but right now they are in the playoffs so they aren't blowing anything up now. Goose is an over paid third pairing D now. He still gets some points but is getting worse on D.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I’d like to see what Westerlund can do in an NHL/AHL environment before we deal him.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Morgan:

From what I understand, the offered return on Panik thus far has been underwhelming (mid-round pick and such). We'll see if that changes as the deadline closes in.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Morgan:

From what I understand, the offered return on Panik thus far has been underwhelming (mid-round pick and such). We'll see if that changes as the deadline closes in.

Yeah we already have two 3rds. I'd rather hang onto him if we can't get anything better than another one.

Still am open to moving Goligoski for the right price too, as a way to add assets and to free up some space this summer.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Zucker is the type of player I would like to add as a UFA. I don't know how I would feel about moving Fischer or Crouse for him. His goal scoring has been consistent for several seasons now, but not his overall point totals. He is essentially what we would want both Crouse and Fischer to turn into, but is 6 years older. If we could get him for below market value, say Goligoski and Westerlund/Merkely I would be all for it. I love Merkely's potential but feel like we already have similar prospects.

And right after I finish typing I thought about moving Fischer and Goligoski for Zucker to make room for Merkely...
Keller-Dvo-Zucker
Gally-Stepan-Merkely
Crouse-Richie-Garland
Grabner-Cousins-Hino

We have a lot of of 3rd line wingers haha.

Edit: who would you rather keep, Hino or Fischer?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Morgan:

We should keep him for the playoff push anyway. Third or later pick isn't worth anything.

Reactions: Mosby and doaner

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think Zucker is a 20-25-45 player, if they're going to trade for him that's the price I'd expect them to pay.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That’s a pretty cheap return for Coyle. Hopefully Minnesota is selling and falls out of the race.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fischer is probably a fair comparable for Donato. Value wise at least. Personally I’d rather stick with Fischer than trade him for a 26 year old.

Reactions: Heldig

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Donato has struggled this season but if he progresses then the trade will probably end up being fairly even.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I agree with that. Panik staying and helping keep this team competitive might be worth more than a late 3rd rounder or later pick. I just really hope we won't re-sign him this off season, or if we do, that it will be super cheap.
If he's not in the plans next year, he should be gone at the deadline.
Same with all the UFA's.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If he's not in the plans next year, he should be gone at the deadline.
Same with all the UFA's.
I disagree. The deal has to be worth making your team less competitive in the short term. Unless they meet your price he stays. Simple as that. I'm happy letting him walk at the end of the season and getting an open contract slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad