Post-Game Talk: The Toronto Fire Extinguishers... Leafs beat Flames 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
One thing the Leafs could learn from the Flames is their work ethic. They fought hard all game and dominated the play. I'd love to see what the Leafs could do with that kind of effort. We would be unstoppable!

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I really didn't think we got outplayed. We had about equal scoring chances, while the Calgary Flames were just shooting from all over. The Flames definitely had more energy than us, especially in the beginning of each period where they'd come out like a team on fire (no pun intended) but I felt we were able to match their intensity as the period wore on and our finishers did what they do best, they finished.

We outhit them, beat them in the face-off circle, dominated them on special teams and most importantly potted more goals. While Jonathan Bernier was definitely the first star of the night due to his stellar rebound control, I do feel the Flames inflated his SV% by taking some rather mediocre shots (I'm looking at you Curtis Glencross).

One note, people keep saying the Flames need better goaltending? Well thus far this season the goaltending has been stellar for their team and aside from the JVR goal, I didn't feel Ramo let in a weak goal at all. At the very least he kept them in the game, and that's all you can really ask from your goaltender IMO.

+ Sean Monahan and Morgan Rielly are studs. Both were noticeably impressive tonight.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
The way Rielly plays...it's time to let him loose. He can easily handle 25 minutes. Franson is dragging him down at this moment.

Bad pinches, terrible giveaways and getting beat to every puck.

Ranger played bad but got us the key EN.

Boat anchors should play together...

Phaneuf and Rielly
Gunnar and Gardiner
Franson/Ranger- Fraser

That's what I hope the Leafs do...

Add some speed to all pairings and Franson and Fraser go back to 15-17 minutes a night.

Yes. Franson needs that type of D.

Rielly and Phaneuf are an interesting pair. Rielly is much stronger defensively then Gardiner so this time around that type of pairing might work.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I actually like the look of that d core

It's much better than what we have right now.

Gardiner and Rielly shouldn't have to carry their partners. It's ridiculous that Rielly manages to play well despite Franson's erratic play.

If Rielly made those mistakes, I can understand that because he's a rookie. Franson is making far too many mistakes right now.

Limit his minutes or hope we can trade him for a more stable defenseman.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I have a really bad feeling about Saturday night. Can we just sacrifice MacIntyre instead of Reimer/Bernier? :laugh:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I do love how Rielly is playing. He's making great plays, he jumps up and creates chances, and if he does make a mistake he actually gets back to support. On the other hand any time Franson makes a blunder it's Rielly who has to take care of it because Franson doesn't have the speed to cover his mistakes.

I did like how Bernier kept the team in there despite how insane things were getting. Came up huge and I'm glad we have two excellent goalies who can step up no matter who is being asked to play.

I'll take back to back games as playing a role especially on these crazy western roadtrips, but the team has got to play better overall. Get the play in the other end more and create more chances.

But hey we got the win and frankly I'm loving that :). Eat it media!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okie dokes:

McLaren had a scratched eye
Randy said we were totally pooped (back to back game, Calgary didn't play since Saturday).

{basically - standard quo - but you can hear the frustration}

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs scored 2 short handed goals. Calgary got 0 PP goals

Our PK is just ridiculous.

Well one was an empty net SH goal.

Point still stands though...how do you lose the puck that easily on a 6 on 4 PP? Great play by Ranger along the boards.

Mr Scarface*

I have a really bad feeling about Saturday night. Can we just sacrifice MacIntyre instead of Reimer/Bernier? :laugh:
You know what? The only way vancouver might win us and score-a-lot is the way we keep getting some penalties. Canucks are a pp team and sedin twinz can only score on the powerplay. If we take penalties I think the canucks might win that game like 4-2 or something like that. We are so hard that we might win even anyways no matter what happens. Carly seems to be the greatest coach ever so he'll find away. Cause there is a will.

Troy2Slick

May 5, 2013
I love that the Leafs keep rolling right along. Yeah, they might be getting outshot every single game, but when their 'tenders have a .933 and .949 save percentage, they're gonna win more than they lose. Just need to cut the shots down, the giveaways, then they'll be much better off.

Love being first in the East. :)

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The way Rielly plays...it's time to let him loose. He can easily handle 25 minutes. Franson is dragging him down at this moment.

Bad pinches, terrible giveaways and getting beat to every puck.

Ranger played bad but got us the key EN.

Boat anchors should play together...

Phaneuf and Rielly
Gunnar and Gardiner
Franson/Ranger- Fraser

That's what I hope the Leafs do...

Add some speed to all pairings and Franson and Fraser go back to 15-17 minutes a night.

You are damn right. With Rielly's style of play, you'd like to think his partner would be the one facing all the 2 on 1s. The fact that I have prolly seen Rielly the lone man back on two on ones more than 10 times in this season tells me that either Franson has know idea what his role is supposed to be or that he shouldn't be Rielly's d partner.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

I love that we have been slotting in our skilled players (JVR, Kadri) and the PK hasn't missed a beat. Randy Carlyle and Jay McClement have turned this PK from laughing stock to something that we can legitimately say we might be the best at leaguewide.

We're #4 for PK%, #5 PPGA, and #1 for SHG. Not too shabby!

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

The PK is tied for allowing the 5th fewest goals (7) and has gotten the most shorthanded goals (4).

Taking the difference between goals allowed shorthanded and goals gotten, leafs have a difference of 3 goals, only 2 teams (Colorado and San Jose) are better in that category with a difference of 2 each.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You know what? The only way vancouver might win us and score-a-lot is the way we keep getting some penalties. Canucks are a pp team and sedin twinz can only score on the powerplay. If we take penalties I think the canucks might win that game like 4-2 or something like that. We are so hard that we might win even anyways no matter what happens. Carly seems to be the greatest coach ever so he'll find away. Cause there is a will.

scroll way down to the bottom, 3rd from the bottom to be exact

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...All&sort=powerPlayPercentage&viewName=summary

Henrik has 1 power play goal this year, Daniel has 1. They have 8 goals combined, and Henrik has 15 assists, Vancouver only has 4 PPG. Clearly they can score even strength

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Go leaf go chants all around the saddledome and down the street.. Leaf fans cheering and high fiving all around... Everyone is sooo pumped

Time to enjoy some bevy's!

Clarkson is a beauty... Ranger did somethi g useful.. Ref's tried to give the Flames a point, but the PK was rock solid .. And Bernier is stelllllar!

Mr Scarface*

scroll way down to the bottom, 3rd from the bottom to be exact

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...All&sort=powerPlayPercentage&viewName=summary

Henrik has 1 power play goal this year, Daniel has 1. They have 8 goals combined, and Henrik has 15 assists. Clearly they can score even strength
They get assists on the powerplay.

Also they cannot score IMPORTANT goals on even strength, almost ever. That is the EXACT reason these sedins will never ever win the stanley cup. They will be sweeped away in the important scoring playoffs always. By san jose, by boston, by everybody else. Sedins are not good enough even strength. Not enough will and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad