Post-Game Talk: The Toronto Fire Extinguishers... Leafs beat Flames 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It seems unfortunate that Trevor Smith is up with the club. I have yet to see Carlyle use him for more than 3 minutes. It's a dead spot on the roster that could be filled by say... David Broll?

Our AHL center depth is Smith, Mckegg, Smithson... pretty obvious why he's there

It's clear Carlyle isn't a fan of him though

leafstilldeath*

Not anymore.

James Mirtle @mirtle
Believe Leafs have gotten away from Miley Cyrus as victory song... what I heard in room after Ducks win was a classic: Fortunate Son.
25 Oct from UberSocial for BlackBerry

;)

Thank you God. I was really getting sick and tired with Miley Virus vids/pics getting posted on GDTs and PGTs.

I can live with Fortunate Son, except, I will always picture Tom Hanks running with someone yelling "Run Forest Run" :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Smithson must have an AHL only contract. If he had an NHL deal with us I figure he'd be up here instead of Smith.

didn't we just sign him to an AHL tryout? Or is that gone now and he signed a contract?

the contract isn't an issue, if we wanted him up here I'm sure they'd work out an NHL contract pretty quickly

Tyler Biggs*

So what was the excuse this time. Refs on the Leafs side? Flames had 5 powerplays to the Leafs 1. Easy schedule for the Leafs? They just won back to back games on the road in less than 24 hours. Leafs getting lucky? At some point that one just gets old. Good goaltending isn't luck.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs need an excuse to win?

Games were won long before Corsi was invented. People are jealous of the formula To. is using to win because it cant be replicated by coaching. Good goaltending and a lethal offense can't be taught. If Leaf nation hit the mute every time a pundit spoke out in jealousy there would be a lot of out of work hockey experts.

Toronto winning exposes the fact that the so called called experts are really just amateurs throwing darts in a brown paper bag. "Oh I like Boston!" Really!? What a tough, hard call to make Sherlock.

No one picked us first in the East.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Games were won long before Corsi was invented. People are jealous of the formula To. is using to win because it cant be replicated by coaching. Good goaltending and a lethal offense can't be taught. If Leaf nation hit the mute every time a pundit spoke out in jealousy there would be a lot of out of work hockey experts.

Toronto winning exposes the fact that the so called called experts are really just amateurs throwing darts in a brown paper bag. "Oh I like Boston!" Really!? What a tough, hard call to make Sherlock.

I did! :D

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Specialty teams performance and good goaltending is the secret to Leafs early success.

Hopefully it can be sustained over 82 games and not just 14.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Why do people think that getting outshot and out-possessed is an actual formula for the Leafs? It's more likely that it's a by-product, not the actual intent of the team. The Leafs struggle to clear their their own end which allows the other team to create some sustained pressure in the Leafs zone. The formula isn't allowing it to happen, the formula is more about what to do when it does happen.

With Wilson's team, there wasn't much structure when the team was forced to defend in their own end. The players cared more about getting the puck or clearing it out out that they opened up dangerous areas for the opposition to shoot through. Not having the calibre of goaltending that we currently do only made it worse because it often resulted in goals.

With Carlyle's team, you see an actual system in place when the team is forced to defend. I think the mentality is that it's better to get stuck in your own end for 2 minutes but try and do all of the little things right than it is to play aggressively and risk the chance that 15 seconds later, the puck is up for grabs at centre ice because the other team just scored on you.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Earlier in the season I did read or perhaps may have heard on HNIC that Bernier preferred guys to get out of the way so he could see the puck. Maybe that has something to do with it as well.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Earlier in the season I did read or perhaps may have heard on HNIC that Bernier preferred guys to get out of the way so he could see the puck. Maybe that has something to do with it as well.

I saw in a TSN clip, they asked Franson what the difference was with both goalies and Franson said that Bernier prefers the guys to clear the area for him so get out of the way and take the opponent with you sort of thing. Reimer doesn't mind being in front of him to block the shots but he tells them to make sure they block it and not deflect into the net. That's sometimes tough though. I remember quite a few goals against Reimer last season that happened exactly because his own player was unable to block the puck and ended up deflecting it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad