Post-Game Talk: The Toronto Fire Extinguishers... Leafs beat Flames 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Clarkson is better defensively then I thought he would be.

I also find it humorous that we keep hearing our goalies "stole us that game" but yet they still don't get any respect from opposing fans (more so Reimer)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I also find it humorous that we keep hearing our goalies "stole us that game" but yet they still don't get any respect from opposing fans (more so Reimer)

He's playing his 3rd line role selflessly, which shows me a lot about his character. Team player, respect this alot. If he keeps improving by getting up to NHL speed after missing 10 games, he deserves to be up on the 2nd line with Lupul. He's got the hands to play in the top 6.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

Clarkson adds some grit with scoring capabilities and that's something that has been missing on our 3rd line. The game against Columbus when he came back he made a notable difference by keeping the puck in the zone and cycling it with his linemates. I mean I was hard on Clarkson when he was signed and I still think his contract sucks but he's someone we definitely needed on the team.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
flames fan here what did you guys think of colbourn

A lot better than he showed here. He was way more aggressive and used his size to his advantage a few times. Not sure what happened but credit to the coaching staff for getting it out of him. Also playing for your hometown team doesn't hurt.

gustavsson50

Jul 19, 2010
Brampton
Does anyone else think orr have improved his game alot. He's been handling the puck good and also saw him making some nice plays too.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Ashton is the kind of player who will do whatever it takes to get the job done as long as its within his capabilities. One of those rare youngsters with the work ethic of a veteran.

Love him, and what he brings to the team. He knows his limits, and doesn't try to do too much. Because of these qualities, I also think he is one of those guys who can surprise you with what he can achieve given the right circumstances. I think he can become a 15 goal, wreck-havoc type player if we play him right. I would love to see RC putting Ashton in front of the net during our 2nd unit PP. His hands aren't that great, but he will consistently put in the effort to screen the goalie, and will be very hard to take out of the play.

Clarkson has also been huge for us. His skill isn't the main thing he brings - its his presence, leadership, and physicality. The intangibles is high with this one. I wanna see Lupul-Bolland-Clarkson on one line. The 3 of our best "intangibles" players who also bring their unique skill set. That is the kind of line I'd send out with the game on the line and in other tense situations.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Does anyone else think orr have improved his game alot. He's been handling the puck good and also saw him making some nice plays too.

I was thinking to myself during last nights game, if only Orr was a bit quicker he would actually be able to create some scoring chances

Im actually not as worried giving him 6-7 minutes a night than I was in previous seasons

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Great game to attend ! Finally the boys gpt a win while I was in attendance ! even before his empty netter ranger had a wicked game. Boys were heavily out shot, and berniers sound positioning won that game.

What are you talking about. Ranger played like a plug all game. He was useless again, as always. The puck found the empty net all by its self FFS. :sarcasm:

Kyle Doobas*

It's the teams victory song.
Not anymore.

James Mirtle @mirtle
Believe Leafs have gotten away from Miley Cyrus as victory song... what I heard in room after Ducks win was a classic: Fortunate Son.
25 Oct from UberSocial for BlackBerry

;)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
People are ragging on ranger. I think he's played damn good as of late. Wtf are you guys expecting for a # 5 or 6 dman making 1 million?

Exactly, if he was making Phaneuf or Gunnarsson money I'd be pissed about his play. For the money he makes he's doing just fine at the moment. He was bad at the start of the season, but, he's improved his play every single game as he adjusts to the speed of the NHL game.

Some fans just need to hate for hate's sake. Why can't we cheer every player that puts on our Maple Leaf jersey?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Lots of talk about how the Leafs were outshot and "outplayed" ... The Leafs tightened up a lot in the second half of the game and sustained some cycle game .. It was in the first half where the let Calgary get in some prime spots to score but Bernier was amazing

The Flames got a lot of pucks to the net and tried to get secondary chances, but the Leafs collapsed well enough to keep it out

In turn, the Leafs had nearly as many good scoring chances at the Flames - they just finished more

Also, despite the Leafs iffy play (definitely not their best game) the refs were garbage.. So many bad penalty calls against the Leafs so I don't feel bad about this win at all - good special teams are essential for a good team .. It's not all 5 on 5 play and generating lots of shots

2 SH, 1 PP goal .. Special teams and goaltending won the game for them last night

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Not anymore.

James Mirtle @mirtle
Believe Leafs have gotten away from Miley Cyrus as victory song... what I heard in room after Ducks win was a classic: Fortunate Son.
25 Oct from UberSocial for BlackBerry

;)

I was listening to Cabbie's podcast with Kadri (from the summer) a few days ago, and Kadri brought up that they had had chats prior about what the victory song would be once 24/7 comes around.

Cabbie asked if they would specifically plan something like that for 24/7 and Kadri said yeah

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Exactly, if he was making Phaneuf or Gunnarsson money I'd be pissed about his play. For the money he makes he's doing just fine at the moment. He was bad at the start of the season, but, he's improved his play every single game as he adjusts to the speed of the NHL game.

Some fans just need to hate for hate's sake. Why can't we cheer every player that puts on our Maple Leaf jersey?

I agree. I am really looking forward to when we reach the 30 game mark to see what we have in him and if his trajectory is to going upward or if he starts to level off. I like the Ranger project.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

He's looked good in the games he's played. Hopefully the goals will come soon.

On your second point, it's either one thing or another with these boards. "Leafs defence sucks they were bailed out by their goalie." Then later you'll hear "Leafs goalies aren't as good as their stats show, they get bailed out by their defence."

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
How was it a good win? We owned you the whole game! If not for your goaltender the Flames would have scored a touchdown.

Congratulations on winning your first game at the Saddledome in over a decade. :handclap:

If the Flames had scored a touchdown, our Leafs would have been forced to score a touchdown (with a 2 point conversion) and a field goal.

This game was ours after dropping points to your team at the Saddledump for over a decade!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He's looked good in the games he's played. Hopefully the goals will come soon.

On your second point, it's either one thing or another with these boards. "Leafs defence sucks they were bailed out by their goalie." Then later you'll hear "Leafs goalies aren't as good as their stats show, they get bailed out by their defence."

The Leafs are still a terrible team. The only reason they're able to win games is because they have good forwards who score a lot, good goalies, and their defence can reduce quality scoring chances.

EDDIE20*

The Leafs are still a terrible team. The only reason they're able to win games is because they have good forwards who score a lot, good goalies, and their defence can reduce quality scoring chances.

Can I borrow this to post on the main board?:D

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

You also forgot to add that one of the reasons they're able to win games is because they put more points on the board than the other team. Other than that, we still suck. :laugh:

Kyle Doobas*

How was it a good win? We owned you the whole game! If not for your goaltender the Flames would have scored a touchdown.
I'll re-iterate the same post I made to an Oilers fan yesterday:

"....it's not like having a good goalie is some cheap way of winning games, any more than having good scoring or defense is. That's like the Ducks beating the Coyotes 5-0 and someone saying, "If not for that hat-trick by Perry, this is a completely different game." No ****, but he did get a hat trick, just like [Bernier] did have a superb game last night...."

Haha, this pretty well sums it up. The Leafs only won because they have a better goalie and better finishers than we do! Doesn't count! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Who else thought colborne had a solid game?

If that puke had played at least one game like that in Toronto, he'd still be a Leaf.

I really believe he wanted to get traded to Calgary all along. His Father was pushing Flames management to acquire him is what I've heard.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Can the NHL give out a participation award for SOG for the Flames and Oilers? Their fans will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad