Post-Game Talk: The Toronto Fire Extinguishers... Leafs beat Flames 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs are riding an extreme combo of a) allow-them-the-perimeter defense, b) great goaltending, c) lethal counterattack, and d) taking bad teams lightly.

With their talent they can keep playing this way and be a good team, but they gotta pick it up a whole lot if they want to be a legit contender.

The good news is that they seem to pick it up a bit against the better teams. Vancouver will be another big test.

More good news is that Vancouver is their only game in the next 9 days, so as long as they keep their skateguards on there's a decent chance that 2gms from now they'll finally have a fully healthy team (kuly for sure, and maybe Bozak too) and near a full week of rest and practice under their belts.

p.s. that was an awful hit by Ashton. should get a few games for that one.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The Leafs are still a terrible team. The only reason they're able to win games is because they have good forwards who score a lot, good goalies, and their defence can reduce quality scoring chances.

You say this 'The Leafs are still a terrible team.'

And then you immediately contradict yourself by saying this 'The only reason they're able to win games is because they have good forwards who score a lot, good goalies, and their defence can reduce quality scoring chances.'

So which is it? :rant: A bad team? Or, good forwards, good goalies, and a defense that can reduce quality scoring chances? :naughty:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There's no difference in the number of games against the Alberta and BC teams. There's been two games a year between those teams and the Ontario and Quebec teams for several years now. Except, of course, for last year's lockout-shortened season.

Not true. For the last several years prior to the lockout, Eastern teams only faced Western teams from one particular division every 3 years on a rotating basis.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

And then you immediately contradict yourself by saying this 'The only reason they're able to win games is because they have good forwards who score a lot, good goalies, and their defence can reduce quality scoring chances.'

So which is it? :rant: A bad team? Or, good forwards, good goalies, and a defense that can reduce quality scoring chances? :naughty:

463.jpg

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Butthurt Flames fans should also consider the fact that our team was playing the second game of a back to back, and their team had 3 days rest. The Flames obviously had more energy last night but not surprisingly, our superior skill level ended being the difference.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Not true. For the last several years prior to the lockout, Eastern teams only faced Western teams from one particular division every 3 years on a rotating basis.

They played 2 games a year against the western Canadian teams from 09-12. The formula was 18 games against the western conference, 24 against your division and 40 against conference teams not in your division. We'd play each team in the west once with three extra games against the Canadian teams.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Agree 100%, we were thoroughly outplayed. Two points is always nice but I feel a bit dirty after this one. I've gotten into the habit of going to espn.com every morning to check out the gamecast and see if that matches my view of the game. What I saw there confirmed my suspicions. Unlike Edmonton, where we were outshot but not outchanced we were thorougly dominated. That's 3 games this year (PHI-CHI also) where we were outplayed by a huge margin and the fact that our awesome goalies stole two of those games for us shouldn't blind anyone to the fact that the Leafs have yet to play one quality 60 minute game this season.

Goalies can steal games here and there, and they sometimes can steal an entire playoff series. But if you want to be a serious contender, you have to have a lot more than that going for you.

On paper, Calgary doesn't even belong in the same league with us yet they dominated us. Not good. I'll take the two points, but perhaps it would have been better to lose this one because this team is in need of a wakeup call.

No such thing as a wake up call with our Leafs. They continue to play half assed games and have not played a full 60 minute game as yet. It's their MO. But, it needs to change, and soon too!

EDDIE20*

Butthurt Flames fans should also consider the fact that our team was playing the second game of a back to back, and their team had 3 days rest. The Flames obviously had more energy last night but not surprisingly, our superior skill level ended being the difference.

Ramo being a sieve doesn't help either.

Penalty Kill Icing*

wut+_af4d4152d5058635ebe659e6979b61d7.jpg

Penalty Kill Icing*

He was correct. Leafs/Sens/Habs played Canucks/Oilers/Flames home and away. That rotation rule didn't apply to these 6 teams. Check history.

[My point is valid if the lockout you are referring to is 2012 lockout].

thebear

Nov 18, 2009
I like that they keep shots to the outside, but the keep shots to the blue line perimeter strategy is what screwed us over against Boston. Good teams will put their players in the crease to screen the goalie and get rebounds. It's how most goals are scored in the playoffs. I want to see more shot blocking and pressure on the points come crunch time, good teams will exploit it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good news for the Flames is they are no way near as hapless as the Oilers.

Expected 4 points here, glad they didn't disappoint.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
It seems unfortunate that Trevor Smith is up with the club. I have yet to see Carlyle use him for more than 3 minutes. It's a dead spot on the roster that could be filled by say... David Broll?

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
It seems unfortunate that Trevor Smith is up with the club. I have yet to see Carlyle use him for more than 3 minutes. It's a dead spot on the roster that could be filled by say... David Broll?

I think Smith being a center is the main reason he's on the roster with Bozak being out.

Asif16*

No, because David Broll isnt a center. The only reason smith is up is because bozak is injured. We need 4 centers.

However, I could see david broll being called up if Ashton gets suspended and Mclaren is injured for the canucks game

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Good news for the Flames is they are no way near as hapless as the Oilers.

Expected 4 points here, glad they didn't disappoint.

tbh i watch the leafs expecting to win especially against lesser opponents... feels kinda wierd brah, kinda like it

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL miserable turnovers. Their goalie couldn't making a stop to save his life

Yeah you are right, this is why they suck :shakehead

They outplayed us throughout the whole game. Take off your blinders for a sec

Teams who are trailing tend to take more chances and give up opportunities that they wouldn't when leading or tied.

Flames outplayed the Leafs, but Bernier outplayed Ramo.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Teams who are trailing tend to take more chances and give up opportunities that they wouldn't when leading or tied.

Flames outplayed the Leafs, but Bernier outplayed Ramo.

Bernier is a part of the leafs and Ramo is a part of the flames.

Therefore, Leafs outplayed the Flames.

The score tends to agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad