OT: The Thread About Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
So we got this sweet bathymetric 3d wood carving map of Lake Champlain. The hell of it is that it's heavy and we couldn't find any spot where it looked good with a stud in the correct position to hang it. We decided we would use a ton of Command strips. I've done it in the past with great success so I wasn't really worried.

43595975_10117842466106784_7693341468672393216_o.jpg

The thing is, there was craft paper over the back that had to be removed so the strips could be applied directly to the frame. No worries. I remove the paper and the inside just looks like the reverse image of the outside, which is pretty neat. What was cooler was how the map lit up with the sun shining through the back. That gave me an idea. I could light up the back of the map with LEDs.

43659354_10117842466201594_3647377079206412288_o.jpg

Now it serves as a hallway light for when we get home after dark. The LEDs can change color. I'll say, it looks pretty sweet backlit in red. Just slightly demonic...

holy f***! as a person who loves maps that is beautiful

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
A reorganization. A lot of people were eliminated. Maybe 2 dozen in my area of about 125. All higher level management.

I have been through a few of these and my team was never touched. I guess it was a matter of time.

Did you recently get new executive management?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Do we have minor hurricanes anymore, or is everything a Category 4 or 5 storm from hell?

It only takes water temps to move a degree or two higher for these storms to be stronger.

It's even worse in that as the storms get more intense, they move slower

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It only takes water temps to move a degree or two higher for these storms to be stronger.

It's even worse in that as the storms get more intense, they move slower
Well Micheal was a fast mover, and that may actually help it, or at least allow it to become more intense, as slow movers will dredge up cooler waters from well below the warmer surface waters. I believe that played a part as to why the Carolina hurricane weakened before making landfall.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I got a preliminary offer yesterday for a startup ambulance company. Their business model seems incredibly suspect (I’m not a fan of the tech industry and their app to call ambulances seems completely unnecessary), and I’m forced to go to binding arbitration if I have a problem that can’t be settled internally (in other words, I legally can’t sue them). But hey, full time work and benefits for the first time ever in my life. I doubt this is the final stop in my career path, but this will allow me to build up some more experience.

Now, to pass this drug test they’re giving me on Monday... I stopped my weeklong smoking binge in late September and a CVS test says I’m negative, but I was not expecting to get something this quickly.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Anybody hear about the new angle Amazon is taking to try to take over the world?

Apparently they just hired 200 “new business owners” to start their own shipping businesses around the Country. They are backing everything from start up costs, trucks and insurance. The catch is that these 200 shipping places have to give Amazon orders a huge discount on shipping.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Now, to pass this drug test they’re giving me on Monday... I stopped my weeklong smoking binge in late September and a CVS test says I’m negative, but I was not expecting to get something this quickly.

Yeah, I'm interviewing for a promotion today, and I just got back from visiting my first legal dispensary in Colorado, so it's finger-crossing time here, too.

Reactions: Colin226

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
AMZN is the most successful business that has barely made any money in 25 years.
Spite and cornering markets at any cost is a more worthy goal than making a profit these days, it seems. Spotify and so many other tech companies bleed bucketfuls of money and VC firms are so willing to keep giving them it because... I’m not entirely sure, actually. My hunch is that the ultimate goal is to get bought out by Amazon or Facebook or Google, so those mega-companies can corner the market in multiple industries. That’s the only explanation that makes sense of why start-ups are inventing things that have already been perfected with a veneer of “tech” to it.

Maybe I shouldn’t speak ill of the start-up business model because my job offer is from one of them.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Are you talking about Boston or DC/Virginia? ;)

I hang out in Northern Virginia at least twice a year. It's basically a more expensive (yes, actually though) version of North Jersey, and the nearby world city is obviously DC and not NYC. Unless you like hanging out with government cheese (and this is coming from a public employee), negative points.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Out of the hospital after spending much of the last week there. starting to feel a bit better, and finally got a diagnoses for IBS-C as one of my many problems.

This qualifies me for the medical program in new jersey which will alleviate much of stress I have faced throughout my adult life

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I got a preliminary offer yesterday for a startup ambulance company. Their business model seems incredibly suspect (I’m not a fan of the tech industry and their app to call ambulances seems completely unnecessary), and I’m forced to go to binding arbitration if I have a problem that can’t be settled internally (in other words, I legally can’t sue them). But hey, full time work and benefits for the first time ever in my life. I doubt this is the final stop in my career path, but this will allow me to build up some more experience.

This is a reason, especially in this economy, NOT to work for them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Heading off to PetSmart cause my cat is a freaking flea bag, and I have to solve the problem before my girl friend catches on.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
did they think this would be a big night for baseball or something? is that why there are no games?

on a side note.... any walking dead fans here? if so when did it jump the shark? jump the shark means go downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad