OT: The Thread About Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I never really thought about it that way, but there isn't one. California comes close, but you threw seasons as a qualifier in there. Then again their beaches, national parks, and mountains are far superior to anything near NJ. But NYC does dump on LA.

Reactions: New Jersey

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah I have a friend that lives in Kansas and the plains states sucks for the most part. Even when it comes to nature you are some what limited. You don't have much hills, woods, and mountains to explore or hike. Lots of flat land and farms. If you are a young person that isn't into the farm life then it isn't great.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
hah, sandy was a cat 1 when it made landfall in jersey.

all hurricanes are bad.

Exactly. People focus way too much on the hurricane "Category", because they have no idea what it means.

It's simply wind speed.

And the variance between a 110mph Cat 2 & a 157mph Cat 5 isn't necessarily as important as the media leads people to believe. As you said, they can all be bad. The storm surge kills far more people than wind. Granted you're likely to have worse surge with a Cat 5 than a Cat 1, but Sandy was Cat 1 & produced terrible surge. Florence was a Cat 1 & produced terrible surge. Tide & topography are important too. Many variables.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah I have a friend that lives in Kansas and the plains states sucks for the most part. Even when it comes to nature you are some what limited. You don't have much hills, woods, and mountains to explore or hike. Lots of flat land and farms. If you are a young person that isn't into the farm life then it isn't great.
That whole flat corridor from OK up through ND is just dusty poor white people and sad natives. I'm good on that.

Reactions: Darkauron

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I never really thought about it that way, but there isn't one. California comes close, but you threw seasons as a qualifier in there. Then again their beaches, national parks, and mountains are far superior to anything near NJ. But NYC does dump on LA.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all the exclamation marks

then again i'm sure los angeles is cool, trying to visit with my cousins next summer when the yankees make a rare trip to dodger stadium.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
How far out do you have to go before it get's cheap?

Probably not far.

My perspective is skewed, because I only want to live near ski country, which is almost always expensive.

I'm seriously looking at the Wasatch Back right now, and that real estate is even more expensive than New Jersey, but at least it's not as insane as Jackson, WY.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
That whole flat corridor from OK up through ND is just dusty poor white people and sad natives. I'm good on that.

giphy.gif

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I’m not saying much of the country is nothing like it’s a bad thing. Personally, I’m not the kind of person clamoring to live in the countryside, but it appeals to a not-insignificant segment of the population. One of my dad’s former work partners ended up retiring to rural New Mexico. He loves it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
still trying to wrap my head around the fact that wyoming has more expensive real estate than the suburb state between new york and philly

Bonus points for the fact you probably wont make much money there either.

My sense is, people who own there, come there with the monies.

Reactions: New Jersey

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all the exclamation marks

then again i'm sure los angeles is cool, trying to visit with my cousins next summer when the yankees make a rare trip to dodger stadium.
For all the neglect-related problems with the NYC subway, I would rather use that for my flawed commute than being stuck on the freeway in a car. LA is a good place to visit but I just can’t bring myself to live there.

LA has a much different culture too. It’s more faux-sincere over there, but in NYC and much of the northeast, it’s more cynical. And as a cynical bastard, that appeals to me.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
For all the neglect-related problems with the NYC subway, I would rather use that for my flawed commute than being stuck on the freeway in a car. LA is a good place to visit but I just can’t bring myself to live there.

LA has a much different culture too. It’s more faux-sincere over there, but in NYC and much of the northeast, it’s more cynical. And as a cynical bastard, that appeals to me.

fwiw, i view nyc in the same light as a born and raised jersey boy, which i understand is not universal.

really awesome to spend a day or evening out in the city, but i have no desire to live there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
my 24-year-old opinion may be underdeveloped, but this is why i'm a jersey snob.

find me another place in america where you're basically equidistant from the center of a world city, the beach, the forest, farmland, and lakes, with four distinct seasons.

Are you talking about Boston or DC/Virginia? ;)

Reactions: Davegarri

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
still trying to wrap my head around the fact that wyoming has more expensive real estate than the suburb state between new york and philly
It's not only incredibly expensive... it's not available. The inventory in Jackson is almost non-existent.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
A reorganization. A lot of people were eliminated. Maybe 2 dozen in my area of about 125. All higher level management.

I have been through a few of these and my team was never touched. I guess it was a matter of time.

I would imagine cost cutting and salary of those in higher positions factored in among other things.

Too bad no matter the reasoning.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
fwiw, i view nyc in the same light as a born and raised jersey boy, which i understand is not universal.

really awesome to spend a day or evening out in the city, but i have no desire to live there.
I’m from NJ originally (as per my bio) and I really do like it as a state and a place to live. I’m just more urban than suburban, and there isn’t really a place like that over there. I guess Jersey City kind of is?

Given how sky high the cost of owning a place is here, though, I probably won’t have a choice in the future.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So we got this sweet bathymetric 3d wood carving map of Lake Champlain. The hell of it is that it's heavy and we couldn't find any spot where it looked good with a stud in the correct position to hang it. We decided we would use a ton of Command strips. I've done it in the past with great success so I wasn't really worried.

43595975_10117842466106784_7693341468672393216_o.jpg

The thing is, there was craft paper over the back that had to be removed so the strips could be applied directly to the frame. No worries. I remove the paper and the inside just looks like the reverse image of the outside, which is pretty neat. What was cooler was how the map lit up with the sun shining through the back. That gave me an idea. I could light up the back of the map with LEDs.

43659354_10117842466201594_3647377079206412288_o.jpg

Now it serves as a hallway light for when we get home after dark. The LEDs can change color. I'll say, it looks pretty sweet backlit in red. Just slightly demonic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad