OT: The Thread About Nothing: Party like it's 199

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mom's basement, now primary living space for majority of 18-34 year olds.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016...r-living-arrangements-for-18-to-34-year-olds/

To 34 year old? That seems very odd to me? I sort of understand while still a student or shortly after...but jeeze, over 30?

There was actually a time in my mid 20's I lived with my parents. When I was transitioning from Boston back to New Jersey I lived at home for a little less than 2 years. But I was a home owner before I was 30.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To 34 year old? That seems very odd to me? I sort of understand while still a student or shortly after...but jeeze, over 30?

There was actually a time in my mid 20's I lived with my parents. When I was transitioning from Boston back to New Jersey I lived at home for a little less than 2 years. But I was a home owner before I was 30.
I made the exact same transition. Only made it about 3 months before I had to get the heck out.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Yes; it's been going on (again) for a while now.

Obama administration pushes banks to make home loans to people with weaker credit

And financial institutions are (again) partially to blame too.

"Liar Loans" Are Back In 2007 Housing Bubble Redux
From 2007 through 2012, new-home purchases fell 30 percent for people with credit scores above 780 (out of 800), according to Federal Reserve Governor Elizabeth Duke. But they declined 90 percent for people with scores between 680 and 620 — historically a respectable range for a credit score.

“If the only people who can get a loan have near-perfect credit and are putting down 25 percent, you’re leaving out of the market an entire population of creditworthy folks, which constrains demand and slows the recovery,” said Jim Parrott, who until January was the senior adviser on housing for the White House’s National Economic Council.

The banks went from being reckless with lending money to incredibly conservative. I think the headline is misleading.

I couldn't get a car loan for my, now, wife with my father in law as a cosigner. I had a steady job for 3 years making $40K+ with a small ($200/mo) student loan payment and my father-in-law had his social security check.

All 5xx series roads in New Jersey, by definition, cross county borders.

Never knew that.

All interstate highways are odd numbered for north south roads and even for east west roads

Mom's basement, now primary living space for majority of 18-34 year olds.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016...r-living-arrangements-for-18-to-34-year-olds/

A majority of the are the uneducated people. They're waiting for that $50K+ job with the county while working at Starbucks as a barista. Meanwhile they can't put three sentences together for a cover letter (if they know what a cover letter is).

Oh, and it's not their fault, it MUST be somebody else's

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A majority of the are the uneducated people. They're waiting for that $50K+ job with the county while working at Starbucks as a barista. Meanwhile they can't put three sentences together for a cover letter (if they know what a cover letter is).

Oh, and it's not their fault, it MUST be somebody else's

This seems strange too. I know things have changed since I was 18 but when I was 18, the uneducated where the very first to leave home.

Especially where I grew up in Paterson. Most kids who didn't go to college became labourers immediately. And a few made pretty decent money. Pretty much everyone in my neighborhood was a tradesman. Everyone I knew became a plumber, electrician, carpenter or drug dealer. Either way most were out of the house the day they turned 18.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
This seems strange too. I know things have changed since I was 18 but when I was 18, the uneducated where the very first to leave home.

Especially where I grew up in Paterson. Most kids who didn't go to college became labourers immediately. And a few made pretty decent money. Pretty much everyone in my neighborhood was a tradesman. Everyone I knew became a plumber, electrician, carpenter or drug dealer. Either way most were out of the house the day they turned 18.

My old man left home at 17. He bounced around doing odd jobs for a long time. He got his career job on the railroad in 1979 as an electrician as a result of his father's connections to the union and mob behind it.

My mother also left home at 18 and bounced around different careers like typist, secretary, model, etc. Disability later in life had her home as a housewife barely getting by on a

My sister has been a waitress since she graduated high school 14 years ago. She moved out at 28 years old, but that's only after not paying her rent to my old man for 6 months. Her roomie just bailed on her and is in a panic on how she's going to afford an apartment, a car, insurance, and other expenses on a waitress' salary.

I find it interesting to go on social media and see the careers my former high school classmates settled into who didn't go to college. Most are medical assistants, in retail, bartend, or drive something. Many of whom have only recently moved out of their parents' houses as they approached 30.

I wish that a high school education was still valuable, but with all of the politicians catering to helicopter parents, to water down the curriculum as to not hurting children's feelings, and to corporate interests, like the Gates foundation, has made the degree worthless.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Isn't the vast majority of NJ secondary education mandatory? 4 years english, 4 years history, 4 years Phys ed, 3 years science, 3 years math...if I remember correctly that was mandatory in NJ?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Isn't the vast majority of NJ secondary education mandatory? 4 years english, 4 years history, 4 years Phys ed, 3 years science, 3 years math...if I remember correctly that was mandatory in NJ?

A year of social science and two years of American History. Not 4 years of history.

There should be financial literacy, computer software skills, and 8th grade civics should be taught junior year.

Get rid of a year of PE, the social science, and one junior year elective But this won't ever happen.

The fact that a student can actually not complete a single assignment in a marking period and have an administrator allow that student to overrule the F by allowing the student to do makeup work is part of the problem.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

The banks went from being reckless with lending money to incredibly conservative.
I think the headline is misleading.

No, this is what you're being told by the media, but the reality is that the banks are getting reckless again with people who shouldn't "buy" (misnomer) a home, they're being encouraged by government to do so, and it's leading to low inventory and US Home Prices increasing (again) in an artificial manner.

Here's a story from just today......

Well Fargo introduces 3% down payment mortgage - nation's largest mortgage lender now offering home loans to borrowers with a minimum of 3% down and a FICO score of 620.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/well-fargo-introduces-3-down-103100872.html

3% down on borrowing sums over $400,000 and FICO scores of only 620. What could possibly go wrong!

I worked in industry during the first housing crash, and I'm one of the few people who actually predicted it. Yet amazingly I didn't make even a single 1¢ off it. Why? Because everyone told me I was wrong, and when everyone including the smartest people you know all tell you that you're wrong it's very easy to believe that clearly you must be wrong.

There is going to be a US Home Price "correction" sometime 2-4 years from now, depending, perhaps a very large one, and I will not make the same mistake twice.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I wish that a high school education was still valuable, but with all of the politicians catering to helicopter parents, to water down the curriculum as to not hurting children's feelings, and to corporate interests, like the Gates foundation, has made the degree worthless.

How about college?

IMO, in 2016, unless you go to Harvard or Yale or perhaps a handful of other "ticket writing" Ivies, a college degree has now become almost completely commoditized.

If a kid doesn't care about the "four year experience", the smartest thing I think you can do from a financial perspective is two-years of core at a community college, then transfer to a good four-year school for the final two years of meat-and-potatoes degree classes.

Twenty years ago my answer would have been much different, but the above strategy will avoid much of the crippling student loan debt today's 20-somethings are facing - and for, IMO virtually nothing in return.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
when did the world become so lazy…..

KFC used to be known as kentucky fried chicken

kraft dinner is now KD

just discovered today that mountain dew is now MTN dew

…..and then i realized its all bad **** for you

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

3% down on borrowing sums over $400,000 and FICO scores of only 620. What could possibly go wrong!

I worked in industry during the first housing crash, and I'm one of the few people who actually predicted it. Yet amazingly I didn't make even a single 1¢ off it. Why? Because everyone told me I was wrong, and when everyone including the smartest people you know all tell you that you're wrong it's very easy to believe that clearly you must be wrong.

There is going to be a US Home Price "correction" sometime 2-4 years from now, depending, perhaps a very large one, and I will not make the same mistake twice.

That's a disgrace. Who the hell are buying the derivatives on these loans. I'm going to guess money managers that are reaching for yield, the same money managers that are whining about taking a haircut now that Argentina, Greece, and Puerto Rico can't pay their debts.

How about college?

IMO, in 2016, unless you go to Harvard or Yale or perhaps a handful of other "ticket writing" Ivies, a college degree has now become almost completely commoditized.

If a kid doesn't care about the "four year experience", the smartest thing I think you can do from a financial perspective is two-years of core at a community college, then transfer to a good four-year school for the final two years of meat-and-potatoes degree classes.

Twenty years ago my answer would have been much different, but the above strategy will avoid much of the crippling student loan debt today's 20-somethings are facing - and for, IMO virtually nothing in return.

I'm lukewarm about the commodification of a college degree. There is a big difference between the junior/senior year research university (R-1) school and the state school. I didn't attend a research university. Three professors in the department were fantastic while the other eight were garbage. When I compared what I learned in my program that what is taught at the R-1, I felt shortchanged

It's also very much department dependent. Rutgers is fantastic if you want an MLA, but I wouldn't go there for engineering. Montclair is great for if you want an education degree, but horrible if you want a physics degree. Resources (money and thought) are important.

It's still a matter that the cream of the crop ultimately rises to the top and what you invest in your education.

I agree about community college. I think you get more attention with smaller class sizes and a good chance that a full time faculty member, who is dedicated to instruction than research, will teach your class. And it's 1/4 the price.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
No, this is what you're being told by the media, but the reality is that the banks are getting reckless again with people who shouldn't "buy" (misnomer) a home, they're being encouraged by government to do so, and it's leading to low inventory and US Home Prices increasing (again) in an artificial manner.

Here's a story from just today......

Than they probably aren't. Or live in denial.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

I was a home owner before I was 23, but then land is cheap in Atlanta suburbs. Still, I couldn't imagine moving back in with my parents after undergrad, and mine weren't the kind to make grown people follow teenager rules either. Just the fact that I had previously lived completely alone meant I couldn't do that to myself.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I cant believe (actually, sadly I can) there are so many people upset with the zoo keepers for killing that gorilla in Ohio. He was yanking the 4 year old around like a rag doll and in a small stream to boot. I love animals, but there are so many people who value animal life more than human life that it's sickening.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
what a day. I picked and ate morel mushrooms today and caught several 20+'' trout. I think this time I'm not coming back.

Me and a buddy rolling down the road somewhere in Idaho.
IMG_20160530_093458_256_zpsnwuilhrs.jpg

Now that's a truck.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I cant believe (actually, sadly I can) there are so many people upset with the zoo keepers for killing that gorilla in Ohio. He was yanking the 4 year old around like a rag doll and in a small stream to boot. I love animals, but there are so many people who value animal life more than human life that it's sickening.

I haven't really seen that reaction too much. the anger has been more so directed at the parents, who lost control of their kid.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I haven't really seen that reaction too much. the anger has been more so directed at the parents, who lost control of their kid.

Without knowing the facts I think it's tough to judge. It would only take a second or two for a kid to jump climb the wall.

That said, reflexively, I'd probably guess it at 85:15 odds of "horrible parenting" versus "it all happened in a split second".

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Anyone catch the Netflix series Bloodline? Friend of mine put me onto it a few weeks ago. Two seasons so far with the second just coming out this past Friday. It's a great show.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

to be fair, there's plenty of humans that deserve to be valued less than a wild animal... but this wasn't one of them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So as of 3 years ago or so, I never drank coffee, felt it tweaked my stomach out, while not delivering the coffee high that I would later come to appreciate.

Then one day I caught it, and I thought "aight, now I get it", it did seem to be a miracle drug.

Then over time, that euphoric energy, became more tension and anxiety, so I began to ween myself off. And in doing so appreciated my calm self that I had been prior.

But every once in a while I figured I could still enjoy a cup of coffee, so I had one this morning, and I'm totally tweaked out again. I have come to appreciate the stomach tweak portion(I feel a little lighter if you catch my drift) but the rest of it? I dunno, may not be a good thing.

And I think of it in regards to society at large. Has the world every seen a society that drank so much coffee? Is that high tension, high anxiety feeling of coffee related to such things as road rage, or the "need" for anti anxiety drugs?

I mean, I just drank one cup, yet I know people drink much more then that.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So as of 3 years ago or so, I never drank coffee, felt it tweaked my stomach out, while not delivering the coffee high that I would later come to appreciate.

Then one day I caught it, and I thought "aight, now I get it", it did seem to be a miracle drug.

Then over time, that euphoric energy, became more tension and anxiety, so I began to ween myself off. And in doing so appreciated my calm self that I had been prior.

But every once in a while I figured I could still enjoy a cup of coffee, so I had one this morning, and I'm totally tweaked out again. I have come to appreciate the stomach tweak portion(I feel a little lighter if you catch my drift) but the rest of it? I dunno, may not be a good thing.

And I think of it in regards to society at large. Has the world every seen a society that drank so much coffee? Is that high tension, high anxiety feeling of coffee related to such things as road rage, or the "need" for anti anxiety drugs?

I mean, I just drank one cup, yet I know people drink much more then that.

are-you-ok-2.jpg

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Well here is what I know. I just took this drug and I'm tweaked out.

Here are some other things I know, a large portion of the population also takes this drug. People are nuts.

Well you're talking about anxiety. I personally believe that anxiety and depression can be mental health issues... but they can also be personal opinion and many people self diagnose themselves with these illnesses.

For me, I have about one or two days per month where I just feel lost, sad, useless... and overall nostalgic. Just randomly happens. I don't know why. I can't put my finger on it. So I just put together a playlist of sad songs on Spotify, go to work, put my headphones on, and try to get through the day.

Sometimes I'll drink a Monster or a Red Bull because it will help me feel a little more sharp during these days.

As far as coffee goes... maybe it's replacing cigarettes. I don't have any numbers, but I would imagine coffee is WAY up and ciggs are trending down in the past 20 years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, like I said, I've been back and forth on the coffee drinking thing, but today was a "not good effect" day.

I also have theory in regards to coffee/caffeine and stamina. Feel that I lose my leg's when I drink coffee. Didn't drink coffee yesterday and felt really good at open hockey, this despite rolling 4 on 4 with only 2 sub's. Bout to test it out again today, though highly doubtful we get a game going, most probably a straight skill session day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad