OT: The Thread About Nothing: Party like it's 199

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
That's the thing; it's people I expect to know better. It texts and work emails and such. It's driving me crazy.

"For all intensive purposes" and "Take it for granite" are a couple to add to your list. Though in some rare cases both of those phrases could be used in a correct manner.

Me too. I always ask myself, "How the HELL did you get this job?"

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
On the 30+ not listening to new music...I've always been of the opinion that your creativity beings to seriously decline at around 30. You know more but explore less.

It reminds me of a conversation I had a few years back.

My friend was working on a startup tech company and wanted my advice on some things.

During the conversation I told him his core group of developers was too old. I knew most of them and I told him that he needed new fresh ideas, eagerness that can grow with him and the product that only young developers can bring.
And I said a group of 40+ year olds will never be as innovative and on the cutting edge as a group of 25 year olds.

I remembet that pissed him off when I said that...it pissed him off because he knew I was right. But I think my advice got a dozen new college grads their first job :)

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Speaking of grammar:

Something I see on this site all the time that drives me nuts is "less goals" and "less points".

Fewer!

Less goal scoring, fewer goals.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Irregardless drives me nuts...it isn't even a freakin word. Revert back? Twice? Or once?

But really it's kinda strange to critique message board grammer?

In general, I've always valued substance more than than the presentation.
Grammer is a formality for secretaries and English majors to worry about.

I never want those strange things to my ear to distract me from what someone is trying to say. Concepts, ideas and thoughtfulness are not bound by meaningless rules of language.

But "intensive purpose" isn't a grammer issue, it's just plain wrong...lol.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
On the 30+ not listening to new music...I've always been of the opinion that your creativity beings to seriously decline at around 30. You know more but explore less.

I think part of it is a reluctance to appreciate the work of those younger than one's self. When you're a teenager, all famous musicians are older than you and it feels natural to look up to them. It's a little strange when you pass 30 and realize that people who were uncool 10-year-olds when you were in college are now on the scene making stuff.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think part of it is a reluctance to appreciate the work of those younger than one's self. When you're a teenager, all famous musicians are older than you and it feels natural to look up to them. It's a little strange when you pass 30 and realize that people who were uncool 10-year-olds when you were in college are now on the scene making stuff.

Think of any significant band. And I challenge you to find many examples of their best work being later in life/career or much after their early 30's.

You might find examples of a song or two. But typically their best work comes in the first half of their career...I think this is true for most things creative and requiring thought.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's also why bands like the Stones, the Who, the Eagles and Springsteen should just go away and stop the charades :)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Irregardless drives me nuts...it isn't even a freakin word. Revert back? Twice? Or once?

But really it's kinda strange to critique message board grammer?

In general, I've always valued substance more than than the presentation.
Grammer is a formality for secretaries and English majors to worry about.

I never want those strange things to my ear to distract me from what someone is trying to say. Concepts, ideas and thoughtfulness are not bound by meaningless rules of language.

But "intensive purpose" isn't a grammer issue, it's just plain wrong...lol.

Right. I need to call it something, and I think poor grammar works when using words in conjunction that just don't make sense. I completely agree with your sentiment. I throughly dislike grammar rules, especially the overly complicated English grammatical rules. However, you can't just string words together that are completely nonsensical or your message gets lost.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Day 47 in Minnesota.

Today I hooked up a pump in only 3 hours to draw water from the river to the sprinkler system so I have a great looking lawn paying only for electric to run the pump for 48 minutes a day. It will only take be 20 minutes next time but without instructions or a tutorial on what do do I had to research for an hour on why my pump was just humming when I plugged it in and tripping my breaker and not actually pumping. Pool owners will appreciate this symptom. Corrosion build up from sitting over the winter.

I also found a fantastic meat market that has incredible kabob skewers pre-made for only $5.99 a lb and are like filet's on a stick in 4 types of marinades. Tonight I am trying their stuffed chicken breast for $4.99 a lb. I think it's a 2 lb breast to be honest. It looks like a turkey. They also have mountain of beef snack sticks that I can only hope to sample all of them before my colon gives out. It's a meatopia up here.

Also, they have a nice number of local breweries producing some really nice beers of all types. And liquor prices are insanely cheap compared to Ohio.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Day 47 in Minnesota.

Today I hooked up a pump in only 3 hours to draw water from the river to the sprinkler system so I have a great looking lawn paying only for electric to run the pump for 48 minutes a day. It will only take be 20 minutes next time but without instructions or a tutorial on what do do I had to research for an hour on why my pump was just humming when I plugged it in and tripping my breaker and not actually pumping. Pool owners will appreciate this symptom. Corrosion build up from sitting over the winter.

I also found a fantastic meat market that has incredible kabob skewers pre-made for only $5.99 a lb and are like filet's on a stick in 4 types of marinades. Tonight I am trying their stuffed chicken breast for $4.99 a lb. I think it's a 2 lb breast to be honest. It looks like a turkey. They also have mountain of beef snack sticks that I can only hope to sample all of them before my colon gives out. It's a meatopia up here.

Also, they have a nice number of local breweries producing some really nice beers of all types. And liquor prices are insanely cheap compared to Ohio.
Are you living in Minnesota full time?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Could care less

This is the one that drives me crazy.

What annoys me the most about it is that I honestly believe more people say this than say the correct version.

They also have mountain of beef snack sticks that I can only hope to sample all of them before my colon gives out. It's a meatopia up here.

That sounds fantastic. Jerky is one of my favorite things, though I have no idea why it's so darn expensive.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I thought this was interesting. A study of Spotify data shows that people (on average) stop listening to new music by age 33.

So basically, teens tend to listen to whatever the corporate music industry "feeds" them, but in your 20s you branch out on your own and explore more diverse music, and by the time you're 33, you know what you like and are less "open" to new music.

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-study-shows-people-stop-listening-new-music-33-218752

and then you have the outliers like me, who hated the radio and pop hits since I was about 12.

bought a sum 41 CD in 6th grade, and never looked back, spent most of my HS and college years always finding new music.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm guilty of using could care less a lot lol.

But sometimes I actually do use it in the correct and literal form.

I'm more annoyed when people type "alot" or use the dollar sign after the amount. Though I may have even done it a few times when in a hurry.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Are you living in Minnesota full time?

Yes, moved here for new job opportunities both the wife and me.

The butcher has the good old fashioned beef jerkey - big ass blades of the really dry stuff the way I love it - not that greasy quick made crap in the gas station slim jim aisle. And there's so much of it - it's not that expensive here. About half what you pay for a bag of the junky stuff.

The stuffed chicken breast weighed in at 2.02 lbs - was enough to feed a family of 4. Leftovers for lunch this week.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Oh, another favorite is when people who are turning their life around are doing a 360.

It reminds me of a conversation I had a few years back.

My friend was working on a startup tech company and wanted my advice on some things.

During the conversation I told him his core group of developers was too old. I knew most of them and I told him that he needed new fresh ideas, eagerness that can grow with him and the product that only young developers can bring.
And I said a group of 40+ year olds will never be as innovative and on the cutting edge as a group of 25 year olds.

I remembet that pissed him off when I said that...it pissed him off because he knew I was right. But I think my advice got a dozen new college grads their first job :)

Part of it is that when you're young everything is "new." It's easy to draw inspiration.

I think that you don't have as much time to be creative. I'm at my most creative when I have nothing to do.

Think of any significant band. And I challenge you to find many examples of their best work being later in life/career or much after their early 30's.

You might find examples of a song or two. But typically their best work comes in the first half of their career...I think this is true for most things creative and requiring thought.

Aerosmith?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The butcher has the good old fashioned beef jerkey - big ass blades of the really dry stuff the way I love it - not that greasy quick made crap in the gas station slim jim aisle. And there's so much of it - it's not that expensive here. About half what you pay for a bag of the junky stuff.

How much per ounce?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes, moved here for new job opportunities both the wife and me.

The stuffed chicken breast weighed in at 2.02 lbs - was enough to feed a family of 4. Leftovers for lunch this week.

Awesome. I take it you are enjoying the change? I always admire when people make big moves. I wish you all the best.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
and then you have the outliers like me, who hated the radio and pop hits since I was about 12.

bought a sum 41 CD in 6th grade, and never looked back, spent most of my HS and college years always finding new music.

I am well passed 33 and I find new music all the time.
Just started back on the reggae kick from Slightly stooped tours. Now on The Movement, SOJA, Stick Figure....
But I Do go back to my 90's roots a lot.

On a side note, When does Amazon typically have the "hockey" sale? where all the apparel is cheap?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Damn wind messing up my hair.

I like the crisp air though just not the wind. I walked two blocks down the street and my hair looks like captain caveman.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is it May or March?

This is just another reason why I'm glad I'm out of Jersey.

Some of the temperatures in April and May are a complete joke. This is the kind of year that you won't even be able to go into the ocean until late June, unless you really can take cold water. I've been in the gulf since late March and got to go on Christmas because of the warm fall.

Though from what I understand, it was a warm fall up there too. I remember people back home saying it was 70 degrees on Christmas Day this last year. From what I've also heard, the last few spring's have been average at worst up there. Up until this year. The last couple years I was there, the spring's were above average. But one year (2009 I think) the average high in June was something absurd like 65 degrees.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY

Sum 41 was one of my first CD purchases. Think I was in the 4th grade. Still listen to that album today and one of my favorite albums growing up :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad