OT: The Thread About Nothing: Party like it's 199

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
ESPN is long gone. I went to another board after. It used to be very active but its dead now. After reading some threads I wish I came here in the first place

Ya, I've been hanging here for a couple years now, you'll find some real good discussions for sure.

But let's get down to the nuts and bolts, where do you stand on Zajac, JJ and Gio?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ya, I've been hanging here for a couple years now, you'll find some real good discussions for sure.

But let's get down to the nuts and bolts, where do you stand on Zajac, JJ and Gio?

No. Hockey. In. The. TaN.

That's rule #1 of the TaN.

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell

I like Zajac but I'm not fond of his contract. I think JJ is behind in development. But I think A lt f players weren't properly developed under Deboer. I really like the direction Hynes is taking the team. Im not a fan of Gio light though. I'm very happy with Shero . After all the disastrous contracts and decisions during the Vanderbeek era. I believe the Devils finally have the ownership,GM and coaching staff to get the team back on track.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I go to church once a year. Usually to pray for strong hatches and rising fish.
IMG_20160604_155639_848_zpsjfn9ii0i.jpg

http://www.jacksonholewy.net/park_highlights/chapel_of_the_transfiguration.php

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Gonna be in the villiage for a wedding on Saturday and staying at an Airbnb, what would be the best route Sunday to get to EWR for a 1pm flight? Would like to train it , but will uber if need be. Any help?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
no offense to anyone here, but unless you have serious money to burn you're kinda stupid if you buy a brand new car these days. take the certified preowned one with 15k miles and enjoy it

I have never, and will never buy a new car. Almost always a dumb financial decision - though I will say, with the historically high used car prices the last few years, depending on the model there's been a recent window where it hasnt been dumb. That said, the used car market is going to plummet around 2019, which is when I'll likely buy my next used car.

How else can I borrow a high interest loan against my car title?

LOL. I didnt even know that was a thing.

Gonna be in the villiage for a wedding on Saturday and staying at an Airbnb, what would be the best route Sunday to get to EWR for a 1pm flight?

1) I assume you mean Greenwich Village as opposed to the east Village? If so, take the 1/2/3 uptown to New York Penn Station (about 5 minutes)

2) Take NJTRANSIT from NY Penn Station to EWR (about 20 - 25 minutes)

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
1) I assume you mean Greenwich Village as opposed to the east Village? If so, take the 1/2/3 uptown to New York Penn Station (about 5 minutes)

Any train on the NE Corridor or North Jersey Coast Line routes will get you there. Buy a ticket ahead of time so they don't shake you down. If you buy an e-ticket, it's only good for 2hr 45 min from the purchase time.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
no offense to anyone here, but unless you have serious money to burn you're kinda stupid if you buy a brand new car these days. take the certified preowned one with 15k miles and enjoy it

I don't think buying a brand new car is that stupid, but I'll explain to you my rationale here.

A used car with too many miles and that isn't very reliable and might cost you in repairs, might cost up to $5000 bucks. A good used car that doesn't have a ton of miles but isn't very new might cost you $10 dollars. If I had $10k laying around, I'd absolutely put it or most of it on a down payment. And there's no way in hell that I'm taking out a loan on a 5 year old car or older that has 75k miles or whatever on it. Repairs are too expensive these days and too hard to do. I'd rather get something brand new and know I have $350 dollars a month for the next 48-60 months and get a warranty to 36k or 3 years or even more. A lot have it up 60k these days.

At the same time though, you're absolutely right on the 15k mile used car instead. That's a good choice too. But in the case of taking out a loan on a 4 or 5 year old car or getting the new/one year old car and taking a loan out on that, I'm going with that option instead.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
So as an addendum to the real estate and student loans discussion last week that Americans are massively in debt, here's a factoid I saw today, and this one I was completely unaware of:

I knew auto-financing was at very high levels, but I had no idea it was a record, and I had no idea the AVERAGE is $30,000. People are friggin' nuts. Again I say - this all does not end well.

Here's an interesting article. While this is an independent analysis, it's an interesting article about subprime auto loans.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3979946-5-trade-ideas-auto-industry-bubble

Granted, autos are not as illiquid as housing is, but it just means that used cars will be cheap

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I don't think buying a brand new car is that stupid, but I'll explain to you my rationale here.

A used car with too many miles and that isn't very reliable and might cost you in repairs, might cost up to $5000 bucks. A good used car that doesn't have a ton of miles but isn't very new might cost you $10 dollars. If I had $10k laying around, I'd absolutely put it or most of it on a down payment. And there's no way in hell that I'm taking out a loan on a 5 year old car or older that has 75k miles or whatever on it. Repairs are too expensive these days and too hard to do. I'd rather get something brand new and know I have $350 dollars a month for the next 48-60 months and get a warranty to 36k or 3 years or even more. A lot have it up 60k these days.

At the same time though, you're absolutely right on the 15k mile used car instead. That's a good choice too. But in the case of taking out a loan on a 4 or 5 year old car or getting the new/one year old car and taking a loan out on that, I'm going with that option instead.

What about those people that lease a new car every 2-3 years with out buying a car. Ive seen that here where I live. Probably some benefits and disadvantages. Some people also buy a new car and sell every 2 years.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm just about to get a new car. I'm getting a certified used 1 or 2 year old max vehicle and preferably under 15k miles.

Almost all of these vehicles I've seen for sale were leases. In fact, all but one I've seen so far has been a previous lease.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Here's an interesting article. While this is an independent analysis, it's an interesting article about subprime auto loans.

Granted, autos are not as illiquid as housing is, but it just means that used cars will be cheap

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying regarding my prediction used car prices will plummet sometime soon (2019'ish, maybe sooner), but he's approaching it from the auto lease data whereas I was approaching it from the auto sales data. It's definitely another interesting data point though, that's for sure, and it completely meshes with my primary argument regarding the state of the US housing market, which is that people CANNOT afford (not really) the current selling prices. This car discussion fascinate me though, and I'm glad Dimon recently brought it up, because while I was well aware of how ill-equipped many US home buyers are, I was not aware auto buyers were so stretched. This will not end well.

What about those people that lease a new car every 2-3 years with out buying a car. Ive seen that here where I live. Probably some benefits and disadvantages.

Also not an optimal strategy. Buying a used car, and driving it for as long as it's healthy is the optimal strategy. It's easy for me, because I'm not (thank God) a "car guy" - being a car guy costs people a TON of money over the course of a lifetime. lol

Some people also buy a new car and sell every 2 years.

That's the absolute worst path. Hopefully some people are surgeons or professional athletes, because they're eating the initial depreciation bomb every 24 months. I know a guy who does this too, and he's definitely not financially well off enough that he should be doing so.

Last edited:

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com

cool, I routed that and that works. Appreciate it!.
1 train from 18th street and take the transit between 10 and 11am.... How often does the 1 train roll through there? I assume pretty often like every 15-20 mins. Couldn't find the actual schedule.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
cool, I routed that and that works. Appreciate it!.
1 train from 18th street and take the transit between 10 and 11am.... How often does the 1 train roll through there? I assume pretty often like every 15-20 mins. Couldn't find the actual schedule.

More like every 10 minutes.

Though give yourself some extra time from getting off the platform at EWR to getting where you need to get in the airport.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What about those people that lease a new car every 2-3 years with out buying a car. Ive seen that here where I live. Probably some benefits and disadvantages. Some people also buy a new car and sell every 2 years.
I don't know much about leasing a car, never have before.

But I've heard bad things about it. Then a cousin of mine leased and wound up buying after two years and said he would have just bought it to begin with, if he could do it over again.

I think with leases you're only allowed to put so many miles on it a year. Like 12k-15k or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. That was optimal for him, as he doesn't drive much. He literally has 12k or 14k miles on that Ford Fusion right now and it's already 4 years old.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Finding the exact car I want is proving to be much more difficult than I expected...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My friend got a 58 Chevy instead of a 57. Then he turned around and sold it for like $20k-$25k or something like 7 years later. Then he bought a bike with that money. A brand new Harley Dyna Glide.

He's really good with fixing and borderline restoring cars. Not sure if you'd even consider that a true restoration or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->