OT: The Thread About Nothing: Party like it's 199

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
My friend got a 58 Chevy instead of a 57. Then he turned around and sold it for like $20k-$25k or something like 7 years later. Then he bought a bike with that money. A brand new Harley Dyna Glide.

He's really good with fixing and borderline restoring cars. Not sure if you'd even consider that a true restoration or not.

I don't know if I'd want to be in the classic car market with Cuba about to flood the market with them

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Anybody like fishing in here? I'm taking a well deserved day off work tomorrow to try to catch some blues/stripers/fluke in the Manasquan Inlet in Pt Pleasant.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Anybody like fishing in here? I'm taking a well deserved day off work tomorrow to try to catch some blues/stripers/fluke in the Manasquan Inlet in Pt Pleasant.

Jim/Aethon has talked about fishing often here. Maybe he will be back here in time before you head off tomorrow.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I don't know much about leasing a car, never have before.

But I've heard bad things about it. Then a cousin of mine leased and wound up buying after two years and said he would have just bought it to begin with, if he could do it over again.

I think with leases you're only allowed to put so many miles on it a year. Like 12k-15k or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. That was optimal for him, as he doesn't drive much. He literally has 12k or 14k miles on that Ford Fusion right now and it's already 4 years old.

Good to know about the driving distance limitations. Seems like a disadvantage for an individual that does regular trips to the country side.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't know if I'd want to be in the classic car market with Cuba about to flood the market with them

I went to Cuba, and about 99% of those classic cars are complete junkers. Complete with 90's mercedes black soot blowing diesel's.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My buddy has made a killing by fixing up old hot rods and flipping them. I don't wanna say a killing, as in millions. More like hundreds of thousands. Enough to be able to buy his own house in cash by age 26.
I don't do fishing, I'm a real baby about killing things. Though I will gladly eat them if already dead.:laugh: I have been on some party fishing boats in the Manasquan Inlet though. Always a good time. Is it the Norma Kay? I can't think of what the other boats are called out of Manasquan Inlet in Point.
Good to know about the driving distance limitations. Seems like a disadvantage for an individual that does regular trips to the country side.

I personally could do it, as I really don't drive much anymore. I don't like having the limitations, but I'm not sure if I put 15k miles combined between the two of my vehicles each year. I have a 99 f-250 (was my daily driver until 2010) that I still use and that winds up going long distances to tote a dirtbike around in. I think the place I ride is about 75-ish miles one way from me. So I usually take to the place I ride every 2 or 3 weeks between April and October. I stay in and watch hockey and rarely ride in October-April, even though it's nice enough to ride year round here. But because of the Sharks playoff run, I've only went once.

Aside from that, I don't drive long distances too much. Once or twice a year I drive to Sunrise (4 hours) to see the Devils get their ***** ki I mean play the Panthers.:laugh: Everything else is pretty local for me.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Yes sir. I actually have a degree in fisheries science and worked for the PA Fish and Boat Commission for a couple years. I love to fish. Jim is a big fisherman as well and is on a trip currently I believe.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes sir. I actually have a degree in fisheries science and worked for the PA Fish and Boat Commission for a couple years. I love to fish. Jim is a big fisherman as well and is on a trip currently I believe.

How's this for a healthy river? All under 1 rock!

Salmon and Golden stoneflies.

P1030063_zps8tpxvwah.jpg

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My buddy has made a killing by fixing up old hot rods and flipping them. I don't wanna say a killing, as in millions. More like hundreds of thousands. Enough to be able to buy his own house in cash by age 26.

I love stories like this. File it under the previous conversation about how everybody doesn't need to go to college to succeed in life. Sounds like he's a skilled mechanic and savvy enough to make more $$$ than probably 85% of college grads (and without $100,000 in debt to boot).

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

Yes, any fishing talk is good. There's still some stripers and blues in the surf. I'm on LBI and it was nuts the last few weeks in May but they've mostly moved north.

Just replaced my boat trailer this week so I'll be back at it in the bay here, waiting for the flounder bite to pick up now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I love stories like this. File it under the previous conversation about how everybody doesn't need to go to college to succeed in life. Sounds like he's a skilled mechanic and savvy enough to make more $$$ than probably 85% of college grads (and without $100,000 in debt to boot).

I believe he took classes in high school in vocational program. He is ASE certified, though has no education post high school in auto mechanics. Ironically enough, he said that there are some places that probably wouldn't hire him just because he doesn't have college or the BS degree. He's by no means upper class, but I think he does pretty well for himself.

On top of all that though, he even can do electrical work as well and some renovation of homes and things like that. I remember quite a ways back, a mutual friend's cousin had an electrical problem at his very old home in upstate New York. I don't even know exactly what was happening, but the power kept going out and there was a burning smell. There was probably about to be a fire and our friend said to his cousin ''Let me call up my friend, you know him because he's done work on your truck and other vehicles before. He knows electric because his dad is an electrician and he can at least tell you what's wrong and provide a fix before you can get a contractor out here to do major work. He's pretty much your only option at this very minute if you want something done''. He was very hesitant because this dude was very young at the time. Only early 20's, but he came up and fixed whatever was wrong in about an hour. The guy had no more problems between then and the couple weeks it took for an electrical contractor to rewire this entire 100+ year old home.

And the same guy has also rewired an two houses for two other friends of ours and did renovation work. The before and after pictures are amazing. I have been to one of the houses after the work was done and it was beautiful. He's also a very talented musician as well. I really don't like the term ''Handyman'' cause a lot of the guys that call themselves that are hacks and do 5th rate work. This friend doesn't call himself that, but he's pretty much as close as you can get to a jack of all trades. I'm envious of him, as I can pretty much only do minor home repair work and basic plumbing/minor auto mechanical work. I did work in carpentry for a while so I can do that. Luckily my house was built in 1980, so it hasn't needed much work. Previous owners replaced the roof before I bought it.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I don't know him...only have seen his videos. Kinda cool to watch but so much is wrong with his shooting. A classically trained archer gets a little quezzy watching that....I would imagine it would be the same feeling a classic French chef would feel watching a McDonald's hamburger being made

Having absolutely no dog in the fight, the comments on the video about "real archers" made me like the guy more. How dare he have fun and innovate!

What is the fundamental essence of archery: hitting a target with an arrow, or following a prissy set of rules?

It reminds me of a few years back when my sister was told that she "must not be a real New Yorker" because of how she ordered her bagel at some place in the East Village. As if fitting in with the orthodoxy overrides just getting whatever one thinks is tastiest.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Having absolutely no dog in the fight, the comments on the video about "real archers" made me like the guy more. How dare he have fun and innovate!

What is the fundamental essence of archery: hitting a target with an arrow, or following a prissy set of rules?

It reminds me of a few years back when my sister was told that she "must not be a real New Yorker" because of how she ordered her bagel at some place in the East Village. As if fitting in with the orthodoxy overrides just getting whatever one thinks is tastiest.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm all for having fun. The problem is many will see this type of thing and think this is the way...a lot of the trick shooting you see is learned after you've learned the fundamentals.

The fundamental essences of archery is hitting your mark with consistency. To achieve that there is a process. There is a proper biomechanic for efficiency, consistency and to limit possibility of injury.

His form elements in the video do not lend themselves well to that end. I'm sure knows that, and I'm sure he can shoot proper also.

All that being said...if you were running across a field at 60 yards, you'd much rather that guy shooting at you than me ;)

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Oh don't get me wrong I'm all for having fun. The problem is many will see this type of thing and think this is the way...a lot of the trick shooting you see is learned after you've learned the fundamentals.

The fundamental essences of archery is hitting your mark with consistency. To achieve that there is a process. There is a proper biomechanic for efficiency, consistency and to limit possibility of injury.

His form elements in the video do not lend themselves well to that end. I'm sure knows that, and I'm sure he can shoot proper also.

All that being said...if you were running across a field at 60 yards, you'd much rather that guy shooting at you than me ;)

Agree 100% on the fundamentals. Gotta learn the rules before you break them. I had a friend who bought a cheap drumset and was trying to start by approximating some sort of impressionistic, formless free jazz style. I told her that you have to learn how to play normal first before you venture off into Tony Williams territory and tried to show her some basic 4/4 beats, but she'd have none of it. I think she sold it without learning anything.

I think the commenters deriding that guy as "not a real archer" and "just a trick shooter" were missing the point that he wasn't trying to do it the proper way, and would probably cheerfully describe himself as a trick shooter. I'm totally hiding behind him when the zombies come.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Did Native Americans shoot properly when hanging off the side of a horse bareback to take down stampeding buffalo? ;)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Did Native Americans shoot properly when hanging off the side of a horse bareback to take down stampeding buffalo? ;)

Yeah but it usually took a half dozen arrows to put a buffalo down. That's probably why they just drove them off cliffs most of the time.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Yeah but it usually took a half dozen arrows to put a buffalo down. That's probably why they just drove them off cliffs most of the time.

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump

blog-hsibj-view.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-Smashed-In_Buffalo_Jump

Doesnt surprise me, I live near a Buffalo farm, and they dont appear to be the smartest of critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->