OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 186: Cycles are more than just Mayannaise Calendars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone in the Point Pleasant area? Is it supposed to stay rain there or change over? If it stays rain I might still be able to make it there tonight.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I've never parked in a garage unless my parents weren't home.

we had a choice- a parking spot indoors or axtra storage space outside...the choice was easy :laugh: ...we had a similar choice between a fireplace in-unit or a huge, beautiful, built in living room shelving unit, perfect for the TV, shelves for DVD's/XBOX, etc...we went with option 2. i think we made 2 fine choices

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And if he drives in he doesn't have to clean his car off since it'll be in a garage!

If he's not midtown he might be able to street park for free.

<----- Doesnt "do" Manhattan parking garages.

<------Is pretty cheap.

jjp24Devils

Captain Sal
Jun 4, 2012
New Jersey
It will do better than that map shows. This blanket depiction isnt made for the higher mountain elevations. For instance, MRG and Bolton Valley in Vermont already posted they have > 3" on the ground. Same as the Catskills etc... I'd be shocked if they dont pull down at least 10".

That would definitely be awesome. I was still holding out (probably foolish) hopes for 1-2 feet, but anything more than 6 or 8 inches is fine with me. I'm just hoping they have enough of a base to open the trees.

I hear that snow depths in the Adirondacks right now vary dramatically from place to place, so I'm really not sure. I was in the High Peaks two weekends ago and it looked like they were getting there in terms of having a solid base, but then there was that one day when it rained.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
7 blocks and an avenue away. I gotta yell at him. A certain other poster we don't see much of works near there too... :sarcasm:

Any time you want to meet for lunch, let him know in advance. He doesn't have to be in his building until 1:30 but would need to take an earlier bus.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Power crews from multiple states and as far as Canada are already en-route to Boston, NYC, NJ, and CT in anticipation of major power outages, even though a single snowflake has yet to fall.

I'm not worried about the snow, I'm worried about the wind. Going to be a lot of trees down.

Not too bad here in the city, although it looks like the snows starting to fall harder by the hour.

Just a dusting here so far, but it's supposed to pick up in the afternoon and really wallop us tonight.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Any time you want to meet for lunch, let him know in advance. He doesn't have to be in his building until 1:30 but would need to take an earlier bus.

I was thinking the opposite, I'll stick around the office until 7 if that's when he gets out... :laugh:

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
This 3 game win streak has put me in a great mood today. I feel like partying.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
I was thinking the opposite, I'll stick around the office until 7 if that's when he gets out... :laugh:

Haha that works as well...he doesn't always work until 7 though. Just has to make sure he can catch a bus back home.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I feel sorry for you in North Bergen Eddy. It's always a mess there when it snows.

My apartment building has a garage so I am very very lucky. Feel real bad for those on the street. The plow guys can't drive at all and clip cars constantly.

Seems storm is right on schedule, though I was a bit surprised by the accumulation this morning. Add to the totals if it doesn't completely switch to rain this afternoon. I still think we should see a foot around me, but with the localized banding and how drastic the snow lines are you will see like BG says strange total differences over short distances. Still can be the record breaker for New England. Might see some thunder snow too!!!

I'm excited. We haven't had a hefty snowstorm for I think two years now. Not since the Boxing Day Blizzard two years ago. That halloween crap from last year doesn't count.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was out of power for two weeks from that Halloween crap. It counts.

Why it was crap, was slush and knocked everyone's power out. That isn't a fun snow storm. All the bad without any "real" snow. At least down here it was all slush. I remember getting dragged out in that nonsense by my ex while I was hungover. Was so pissed.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
www.bestparking.com is absolutely the way to go when I drive into the city for work. My go-to is a garage on 50th and 7th. As long as you're in by 10am all day parking is $16. Check out the site, there are a lot of those deals around.

There was this guy who made the most ingenious app. You SELL your free street parking space. So if I'm in a spot on the UES or UWS and I'm going to leave today at 2:30 pm, I list my spot for $5 and the "buyer" gets the location and meets there at that time. GENIUS. But I think NYC shut him down. God knows we cant have anything useful without the government getting a cut or profiting in some way.

I hear that snow depths in the Adirondacks right now vary dramatically from place to place, so I'm really not sure.

This will definitely open up the ADK trees. I'm hoping the Cats can make 12" out of this, heading to Platty on Sunday (possibly Windham if they get dramatically more due to being ~20 miles more east).

Seems storm is right on schedule, though I was a bit surprised by the accumulation this morning. Add to the totals if it doesn't completely switch to rain this afternoon. I still think we should see a foot around me, but with the localized banding and how drastic the snow lines are you will see like BG says strange total differences over short distances.

Did you see the 12z NAM? It only has 5 or 6 inches for western NJ where I am, yet most experts are calling for 8" to 12" here, and it's snowing pretty hard and wasnt supposed to START snowing until about 4pm. So I think the models are having a really tough time figuring out the western cutoff where snow will go from impressive to "meh", since it's going to be dramatic, but IMO, it will be in PA (Bethlehem? Allentown?), not NJ.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There was this guy who made the most ingenious app. You SELL your free street parking space. So if I'm in a spot on the UES or UWS and I'm going to leave today at 2:30 pm, I list my spot for $5 and the "buyer" gets the location and meets there at that time. GENIUS. But I think NYC shut him down. God knows we cant have anything useful without the government getting a cut or profiting in some way.

This will definitely open up the ADK trees. I'm hoping the Cats can make 12" out of this, heading to Platty on Sunday (possibly Windham if they get dramatically more due to being ~20 miles more east).

Did you see the 12z NAM? It only has 5 or 6 inches for western NJ where I am, yet most experts are calling for 8" to 12" here, and it's snowing pretty hard and wasnt supposed to START snowing until about 4pm. So I think the models are having a really tough time figuring out the western cutoff where snow will go from impressive to "meh", since it's going to be dramatic, but IMO, it will be in PA (Bethlehem? Allentown?), not NJ.

That has been the problem. None of the models have really lined up. I think that is why most forcasters are going for a middle ground on the storm track. I've seen some runs with the storm way east, and some way west. I'd say the cut off will definitely be out around there. Most in the PA region are expecting about 6 inches. Not all the models can agree whether the storm is going to stall over New England or not. That will decide whether this is a record breaker or not.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I was still holding out (probably foolish) hopes for 1-2 feet, but anything more than 6 or 8 inches is fine with me. I'm just hoping they have enough of a base to open the trees.

Whelp, apparently there has been HEAVY banding over the Lake Placid area for several hours now - Whiteface just reported in at 10" new.... ALREADY :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad