OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Anyone here a kayaker? I'm thinking of getting a fishing kayak for some of the smaller lakes/ponds around here. Would love some recommendations.
I am not a kayaker but I fished out of them probably a half dozen times. All on saltwater flats... I don't know much but for fishing, the kind with the foot paddle is a must. I've fish out of a Hobie with a foot paddle twice and it was such a pleasure. Your hands are free and I felt like I go forever using my legs..I have a bad shoulder that bothers me sometimes. Both times I used them were rentals in Florida on the Gulf side snook fishing.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
If anyone is a network administrator/systems administrator or once upon a time was - please PM me as I have a few simple questions

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am not a kayaker but I fished out of them probably a half dozen times. All on saltwater flats... I don't know much but for fishing, the kind with the foot paddle is a must. I've fish out of a Hobie with a foot paddle twice and it was such a pleasure. Your hands are free and I felt like I go forever using my legs..I have a bad shoulder that bothers me sometimes. Both times I used them were rentals in Florida on the Gulf side snook fishing.

I see this as something to allow me to get to the spots I want to fish without owning boat (which I really don't want to deal with) and a way to get some exercise. So, while the foot pedal is cool, it would defeat part of the purpose. Plus, it's crazy how much it adds to the cost.

Anyway, I went with this one:

BKC RA220 11.6' Single Fishing Kayak W/ Upright Back Support Aluminum Frame Seat, Paddle, Rudder Included Solo Sit-On-Top Angler Kayak

I'm super excited, but with Corona, they are swamped with orders as people rediscover outside. It's gonna be a 38 to 48 day wait, potentially...

Camille the Eel

I see this as something to allow me to get to the spots I want to fish without owning boat (which I really don't want to deal with) and a way to get some exercise. So, while the foot pedal is cool, it would defeat part of the purpose. Plus, it's crazy how much it adds to the cost.

Anyway, I went with this one:

BKC RA220 11.6' Single Fishing Kayak W/ Upright Back Support Aluminum Frame Seat, Paddle, Rudder Included Solo Sit-On-Top Angler Kayak

I'm super excited, but with Corona, they are swamped with orders as people rediscover outside. It's gonna be a 38 to 48 day wait, potentially...
The price is right too. I’ve never tried fishing from a kayak and my thought is one would have to be on quite calm water. Do you have to be at all concerned about rolling one over, either from wind and whitecaps, but especially from the unforeseen motions of fishing and reaching and leaning one might do? I personally have dumped a skiff when being inattentive and leaning out to grab a floating object. I am just wondering how attentive I’d have to be in managing one of these?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This morning on a dry fly (caddis pattern I tie) on the West Branch of the Delaware. Check out that pectoral fin.

Beauty :)

The price is right too. I’ve never tried fishing from a kayak and my thought is one would have to be on quite calm water. Do you have to be at all concerned about rolling one over, either from wind and whitecaps, but especially from the unforeseen motions of fishing and reaching and leaning one might do? I personally have dumped a skiff when being inattentive and leaning out to grab a floating object. I am just wondering how attentive I’d have to be in managing one of these?

I'll let you know. I've never actually fished out of a kayak, though I have in small aluminum boats and canoes.

The first thing I did was Google "Most stable fishing kayak". I've watched several videos of guys standing and fly-fishing out of this model. I've read several reviews to the affect of "we have not found anyone who wasn't comfortable standing and casting in this kayak". I plan on staying in small ponds and lakes, at least for a while, to get a feel of fishing from it.

I've seen guys catch Goliath groupers from kayaks in the ocean. If they can do that, I feel like I can catch some bass in a pond without tipping. I hope anyway :laugh:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Say what you want about Elon Musk, but SpaceX was seen as a joke less than 20 years ago.

Today they are going to put Astronauts into orbit. Incredible.

Best wishes to Bob and Doug.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Fingers crossed that weather doesn’t scuttle the launch and everything goes well.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Gonna cost more to go to a game now if you have to take the turnpike or parkway, what a joke...

New toll hike, $24B construction plan approved by Turnpike board despite calls to delay

i 'protested' once…it was fun

i remember when the TTC upped the fare from 2 to 2.25 YEARS ago……i dumped 200 pennies in the hopper on the streetcar and the driver said "whats this?"

reply: "that's 2 bucks, paying with pennies…….fare increase will pay to process it"

as i walked on to the back of the car

Reactions: Davegarri

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Unemployment at historical highs, unemployment money not exactly flowing, uncertainty in the workplace for hundreds of thousands, people losing their businesses, increase tolls. NJ is amazing.

Amazing = corrupt. Just wait for the crying about lost revenue and tax increases. And not one dime will wind up helping anyone.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Already there with ya lol

I think the gas tax is gonna go up too, because why not. Raise property taxes while you're at it too
Gas tax absolutely will go up, it had it written in if there were issues they'd be able to raise it to make up the difference.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
A best buy near me was looted a few hours ago, about 45 minutes SW of downtown Chicago. My work also closed since it's on the same road

thats f***ed……i have family around skokie….a couple of generations now…….. ya, the one's that made me a life long cubbies fan….

….i do not want to get political here but……..this is some crazy ass shit in many cities…….seeing cops 'push' people out of the way with a vehicle is pretty much a new world order mentality

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
thats f***ed……i have family around skokie….a couple of generations now…….. ya, the one's that made me a life long cubbies fan….

….i do not want to get political here but……..this is some crazy ass shit in many cities…….seeing cops 'push' people out of the way with a vehicle is pretty much a new world order mentality

I'd be scared shitless to be an officer in a major city right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad