OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
mW33uag.jpg

Another really nice day to be in the creek. One of the better days in the creek I've ever had from a fish perspective. This is one of the smaller ones I caught. Got a couple hook jaws. They beat me up pretty good though:

kcbZ2Mr.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
mW33uag.jpg

Another really nice day to be in the creek. One of the better days in the creek I've ever had from a fish perspective. This is one of the smaller ones I caught. Got a couple hook jaws. They beat me up pretty good though:

kcbZ2Mr.jpg
Absolutely gorgeous. And that iridescent blue patch on the cheek screams wild brown to me.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely brightens and otherwise miserable day.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Absolutely gorgeous. And that iridescent blue patch on the cheek screams wild brown to me.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely brightens and otherwise miserable day.

They are virtually all wild fish. I used to survey the local streams when I worked for PFBC, and it's real easy to differentiate between wild and stocked fish. Everything I caught yesterday was wild.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They are virtually all wild fish. I used to survey the local streams when I worked for PFBC, and it's real easy to differentiate between wild and stocked fish. Everything I caught yesterday was wild.
Awesome...

Ok I see the cheek, the white tips on the fins, the fact the fins are all in natural shape and nothing cut.... anything else I might not know to look for?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Awesome...

Ok I see the cheek, the white tips on the fins, the fact the fins are all in natural shape and nothing cut.... anything else I might not know to look for?

You hit the major ones. The fins to me are usually the biggest giveaway. Stocked fish that spend their lives in concrete raceways always have really beat up fins, or scarred/misshapen fins. That said, PFBC conducts mark/recapture studies, so you may come across some wild fish with small fin clips. I have, anecdotally anyway, noticed that the jaws of wild fish seem to be more cleanly shaped and fit together well, and the teeth are SHARP. Like needles. Hatchery fish always seemed to have shorter or more blunt teeth. Vibrant colors is generally another one. Wild fish tend to have cleaner lines and more vibrant/vivid/saturated colors.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You hit the major ones. The fins to me are usually the biggest giveaway. Stocked fish that spend their lives in concrete raceways always have really beat up fins, or scarred/misshapen fins. That said, PFBC conducts mark/recapture studies, so you may come across some wild fish with small fin clips. I have, anecdotally anyway, noticed that the jaws of wild fish seem to be more cleanly shaped and fit together well, and the teeth are SHARP. Like needles. Hatchery fish always seemed to have shorter or more blunt teeth. Vibrant colors is generally another one. Wild fish tend to have cleaner lines and more vibrant/vivid/saturated colors.

I didn't know about the teeth and jaw. Thanks for that. I will definitely keep an eye out for this in the future. Makes perfect sense too. It is easy to tell I think, they are just prettier fish :)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
When I get bored, I do things like taking my stainless steel fishing forceps and giving them a sweet black oxide finish:

ulaYA45.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
When I get bored, I do things like taking my stainless steel fishing forceps and giving them a sweet black oxide finish:

ulaYA45.jpg
How are you putting that finish on them? I want to try it. Just spraying it on? Are you using a spray gun or just right from a can? Do you need to sand first?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
How are you putting that finish on them? I want to try it. Just spraying it on? Are you using a spray gun or just right from a can? Do you need to sand first?

i restore old shit for fun …..i take off the rust to the bone with wire wheels and then use some solvent to make a clean slate…… i realize youre asking about something that is not being restored but i like to rough up the surface even after wheeling the parts …..helps the paint stick……but i dont know it @TheUnseenHand is using some sort of powder coat or whatnot…….

im no expert but im an expert in figuring shit out……so ya…. ;)

Last edited:

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
I was trying to fold recently washed and dried towels and my dog was hiding underneath them. This was after a few hours of testing at the vet, when as soon as she got home she inhaled some water and passed out on her dog bed.

Hoping for the best with her, but was told to expect the worst.
85FB6671-459A-4480-8255-D3BBDC687B51.png

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

NI-Black 40

They have an instructional video on that page as well.

I was trying to fold recently washed and dried towels and my dog was hiding underneath them. This was after a few hours of testing at the vet, when as soon as she got home she inhaled some water and passed out on her dog bed.

Hoping for the best with her, but was told to expect the worst. View attachment 343058

Crossing my fingers for her. It's always tough to see an animal go through illness.

Reactions: Auto Pilot

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
NI-Black 40

They have an instructional video on that page as well.

Crossing my fingers for her. It's always tough to see an animal go through illness.
Thanks.
Yea, I’ve been through it before, and it hasn’t gotten easier. She doesn’t seem sick or anything, but she could be, and it sucks more knowing that than dealing with anything in the past or even past deaths.

I finally got to sleep after stressing all night about her and then I get woken up, in what felt like 5 minutes or closing my eyes, by her pawing at my face to let me know she’s up and ready for something.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
With all the rain of late, especially what came through on Friday, and how soft the ground is because of it, I got the forklift stuck in the yard at work. Took me a solid 2 hours to get it out.

Actually I got it out of the worst if it, but the guy on the lift put it into another bad spot and was subsequently stuck again. Plus at this point, one of the wheels was on top of the chain we were using to get it out. At this point I was ready to cry. Though from this new position we were able to hook a cable to another truck and we were able to drag it out from there.

A total bear of a day, I was muddy, worn out, and super frustrated. Though there is some satisfaction in being able to get out of such a bad spot.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Had to bring my dog to the vet again today. They think she has lymphoma which sucks. Just waiting on the tests to make sure. Probably bringing her in again tomorrow to get a biopsy directly done on her stomach.

hoping not at an unmanageable stage of that’s she does have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad